View Poll Results: Large Family = HSing???
I have 4-5 and HS 30 41.10%
I have 6-7 and HS 8 10.96%
I have 8-9 and HS 4 5.48%
I have 9-10 and HS 0 0%
I have 10+ and HS 0 0%
I have many and DO NOT homeschool 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
GraceDancer
when Grace dances, I should dance
seller

My Mood:
Re: Large Family= HSing??

We have HS'd for over 12yrs. We have graduated 2 - and have 2 in high school and starting K/1st with one and little ones on the way up - now preggo w/#8.

We homeschool because we do not want our children indoctrinated with the secular mindset from the public school system. We believe that to teach them as Deut. says - as we walk, talk, play, work... they have to be with us.

There is an underlying agenda within the public school system - and we want our children to be raised with our convictions - not blanket "tolerance" that ignores the Word of God.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #22
mama516/419
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is a shock to me . I arrived at the same point but through a diffrent path. I am a pagan planning to home school becouse in school it was so close minded . But we are cosidering alternitve schooling .
We plan on having 4 - currently we have 2
mama516/419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #23
TheNeverendingCloset
Registered Users
seller

I have 5 wonderful kids and do not homeschool currently but have in the past. We were very very unhappy with the schooling in our area and went through 3 schools and 2 districts before we pulled our daughters out mid year 1st grade/pre-k and home-schooled them. We had been doing major research of the schools in our surrounding areas and found a charter that we were very happy with and joined the waiting list.

Our oldest daughter got in at 2nd grade, our second dd got in for 1st grade. So as of right now we are very happy with our public charter school, but if we ever ran into any issues, even with only one or two of our children, we have no issue going back to homeschooling again.
TheNeverendingCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have 8 and only one is HS but using an online virtual school and will be "graduated" before she turns 17 - she's been busting her butt. The others I will homeschool if they choose to. We won't force it on them. I'm not totally happy with the school system, but we haven't had too many issues with the younger kids (the oldest was a bit too concerned with the social aspect of high school and it began causing issues). My 11 year old needs the special education programs and is very difficult to work with, so having him home is a no-go at this point. If any of them wanted to stay home, though, we'd figure out a way to make it work. Personally, I don't care for the thought that only those big families who homeschool must have a strong belief system. Sending my children to a structured school setting has no bearing on our beliefs at all and our children will be taught our faith and what we hold strong to regardless what type of school they attend.

Last edited by ZooCrew10; 03-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #25
epernat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Large Family= HSing??

I said that I do not homeschool which is true...so far. I was homeschooled myself and liked it, but I wanted to homeschool for my own reasons, not my mother's. My daughter is only the only one is school so far and she is only in 1st grade, and so far I am happy with our choice. I know that as she gets older though I will take her out, I am happy that I have this option! So many people hate public school, can't afford private school and feel stuck! I'm glad that I know of one more option!
epernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #26
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I didn't vote since I don't have a large family yet, but we want a big family and we do homeschool. We hover somewhere between agnostic and humanist; we are not religious at all. We just feel the desire to have a large, loving family, and we want our children to have the strongest, most stable foundation for learning possible, which we don't think they can get in the over-stressed public school system and because DH is military so we'll move often and don't want the children to suffer grade changes because different states have different requirements for different grade levels.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
stanfordmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have often said that i love my kids too much to home school them.... but, i am starting to rethink for the older ones and definatly for the new baby!
stanfordmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #28
sunnygirlmomof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Re-frame the idea behind the question and you'll get a very clear view as to why that is... People who tend to allow God to control an area as frightening as family size, tend to be the ones who also have strong beliefs that they want to pass onto their children and so they homeschool. It really does go with the territory as very few people who are not deeply faithful will have 6-10 children these days. We had our eighth last year and we do homeschool.

I totally agree too! Very well said!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Re-frame the idea behind the question and you'll get a very clear view as to why that is... People who tend to allow God to control an area as frightening as family size, tend to be the ones who also have strong beliefs that they want to pass onto their children and so they homeschool. It really does go with the territory as very few people who are not deeply faithful will have 6-10 children these days. We had our eighth last year and we do homeschool.
agree as well!
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #30
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Other?

We have 5 altogether.. 2 are homeschooled (both DSS - ODSS with his mom, YDSS with my mom), 1 is currently at the pre-k where I have been teaching, 1 is not quite in school, and 1 is a baby

ODSS is very content hs'ing. YDSS wants to go to public school again, but I think he will be missing the freedom and flexibility he's had the last 3 years. He is very easily distracted - I point out to him that there are far more people to be distracted by in a public school classroom. He'd even more prefer if I was the one HS'ing him, but DH says I can't SAH after summer break If my mom is willing, I'd like DS1&2 to HS with my mom next school year. We haven't decided what we're doing with YDSS for next school year. I'd like to keep them all HS'ing as long as possible. Not because of our size - I would expect it to be easier to just dump them all in public school with there being 5 - but because I feel the education I got HS'ing (5 years) was better and more effective than the education I got in private (1 year) or public (6 years) schools.

Also a PS teacher here, BTW. We live in the district I graduated from.

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 04-27-2009 at 09:42 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote