Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy New Here Just a Quick Question About Supply

I am new to these boards, one of the Mommies on my birth board told me about DS and now I am hooked. And, quickly going broke on C/D which I am anxious to start.

I just have a question about milk supply and how to increase it. I had to go back to work a little earlier than expected. I am having a very difficult time pumping during the day. I am only able to get about 4 oz. per session, and DD is up to about 6 oz. I also am only able to do about 2 sessions. Today it was worse. My 1st session was 2 1/2 oz, and the second was 3 1/2.

I dont want to stop BF but it is getting harder and harder. I drink lots of water and eat oatmeal daily. Is there anything else I can do to increase my milk supply?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Nikki

Advertisement

football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
motherhubbard
Registered Users

Re: New Here Just a Quick Question About Supply

There is so much that you can do! don't give up you are going to be fine.
1) don't worry, worry will hurt supply. Just trust that you will get through this one day at a time and it will be ok very soon.
2) lots of skin on skin contact. as much as you can get. skin on skin helps baby develop, but it helps you produce prolactin which helps milk production (and stress)
3) pump during the day, but also add some pumping during other times, like when you are feeding at home or after you feed. Supply and demand!
4) Fenugreek and brewers yeast are helpful

If this doesn't help in a few days there are other medications you can take. keep trying, I know it can be hard. When you are pumping just think about that milk flowing out, don't sit and think about how you're not getting enough or you need to get back to work. Breastfeeding was ment to give mom a break from everything else to feed the baby, it's good for mom, too that way as well as others. if you don't give yourself that break it's really hard to let that milk happen.

Good luck! and remember, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. just don't suppliment unless you HAVE to, again supply and demand.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Shawna_L
Banned

Welcome momma!

I also share the fun of having supply ups and downs related to working & pumping. Here's few things that have helped...

*Pumping on the other side while DS nurses

*Pumping after DS is done nursing...DH calls this "getting the leftovers"

*Adding pumping sessions at home...I often pump before leaving for work and I always pump before going to bed

*Carrying water everywhere I go to keep hydrated

*Looking at a picture of DS during pumping sessions

Good luck!
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much, I am just getting really disappointed. DH keeps saying maybe you have to force pump, as in I'm not trying hard enough. I don't want to stop. This is my last baby, and I want to nurse her as long as possible.

Where can I find brewers yeast? How do I take it? What about Mother's Milk Tea or Fenugreek? Has anyone had success with these things?

Alot of people are telling me to drink a beer. First, I don't drink, and 2nd won't the baby get that, and wouldn't I just have to pump and dump?

Thanks,
Nikki
Old 11-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Shawna_L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by football_cheer_mom View Post
Thank you so much, I am just getting really disappointed. DH keeps saying maybe you have to force pump, as in I'm not trying hard enough. I don't want to stop. This is my last baby, and I want to nurse her as long as possible.

Where can I find brewers yeast? How do I take it? What about Mother's Milk Tea or Fenugreek? Has anyone had success with these things?

Alot of people are telling me to drink a beer. First, I don't drink, and 2nd won't the baby get that, and wouldn't I just have to pump and dump?
Hang in there...and RELAX. Stress and worry won't help. I know pumping at work is difficult, but at home try to make it as relaxing as is possible. Find a quiet comfy spot, wear some comfy clothes, sit down with something to drink like a glass of water or a cup of tea (not BEER! ), take some deep breaths, imagine the feeling of let down and your milk flowing. In the beginning it helped me to have something that smelled like baby such as a blanket or onesie.

Remember, the more you nurse and/or pump the more milk your body will make.

I haven't tried Fenugreek, but I have a friend who felt it was helpful.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Fenugreek and mother's milk tea are both great suggestions! Also domperidone is great at helping you with your production and works fast!!! I think you get that at http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html

Last edited by Leininger27; 11-21-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
motherhubbard
Registered Users

Brewers yeast, the tea and Fenugreek can be found at a health food store. The yeast and the fenugreek are just pills. A lot of people say beer will help, and if you were brewing your own it may, but the way they make it now doesn't help. It's the old yeasty beer that does it. If you have a good health food store they should be able to tell you how much yeast to take.

Is it going any better yet?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately,

Its going the same. I really need to buy a good breast pump I think. I was looking at the Medela PIS, but even at Target its like $250. Yeouch !! Especially right now before Christmas that ones gonna be tough. I am still trying very hard. I don't want to quit. I have a gift card to Target for like $100, so I just need to save $150.

I'm going to the Health Food Store tomorrow to see if they have the Mother's Milk Tea, at this point I'm willing to try anything. I eat oatmeal everyday, and I hate oatmeal. The things we do for our babies.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Nikki
Old 11-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
motherhubbard
Registered Users

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having a rough time . i am so impressed with your devotion! Have you talked to your local health dept? they often have good pumps for rent. If you are in the right income bracket that rent is often free! If it doesn't get better soon you might want to get some domperidone. It really does the trick.

Keep us posted about how you are doing. Also, I don't think oatmeal will really help your supply. You should be eating a wide vireity of whole foods and drinking plenty of water, but you don't have to eat oatmeal.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Fenugreek works GREAT, just go to the health food store, get a bottle and pop a couple tablets. Also, what kind of pump do you have? You may have to rent one of those hospital grade ones.