Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:
Re: New Here Just a Quick Question About Supply

Hi,

I won't qualify for any of the free rentals, and my insurance will reimburse me, but only for a hand pump.

I did call the lactation consultant from the hospital I delivered at and will try and meet with her next week. She gave me the # to a lady who rents the Medela pumps, but its $40 a month to rent with a $20 deposit and $35 for all the tubing, that's almost the $150 I need to save to get my own pump !! I have the Medela hand pump from the hospital. I didn't think I was even going to last this long BFing (3 months).

I forgot to go to the Health Food store today, because I have just been enjoying my time off with the baby and EBFing all weekend. It is so wonderful and I often tear up just watching her eat and knowing that I am the one keeping her alive. I know it sounds dumb, but she's going to be our last, and I want to be the one to give her everyhing she needs.

I'll update after I get my booty over to the Health Food store. I am writing myself a note right now.

Thanks again Ladies I appreciate the support !!

Nikki

Advertisement

football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

YAY for me !! I took the Fenugreek and drank a cup of the Mother's Milk Tea (yuck ) and by the next feeding I noticed a difference. I will take these things religiously and hopefully be able to continue BFing. I am still ISO that Medela PIS and posted some things here to sell so hopefully that will help fund the BP. Thank you all again for your support.

Nikki
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely get a new pump. I have the Medela hand pump and the PIS and I get WAY more milk with the PIS. I think you have been doing great to get that much milk with the hand pump. Keep up the great work mama!
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, that means alot.

Nikki
Old 11-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have much time right now to type. Maybe a little bit later when we're back. But have you tried eating oatmeal? It's supposed to boost your supply. Also, what kind of pump are you using right now?

But try the oatmeal and drink lots of water!

ETA - And that will teach me not to skim posts next time! Sorry about that. I just reread your first post and see that you are eating oatmeal and drinking water.

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.

Last edited by whiterabbit; 11-26-2006 at 09:36 AM.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #16
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I had good success using the Avent manual pump and I think it is around 50 bucks. I know the PIS is a great pump but if you can't afford it think about the Avent. I didn't have much luck w/ the medela hand pump either but did w/ the Avent.

I know what you mean about the mother's milk tea being yucky. You are a better woman than me, I made some let it sit while I tried to get the courage up to drink it. Every time I smelled I had to walk away, finally my whole kitchen smelled like it so I dumped it out. I still have the container of loose tea, just in case I really need it, but I sure hope I don't. I just hate that I spent the money on it.

Keep up the good work. I hope you find the brewer's yeast. You can sprinkle some of it in your oatmeal, just a spoonful or so. BTW brewer's yeast would be the reason people suggest drinking a beer. But like PP said you would want it to be a homebrew or at least from a local microbrew for it to be very helpful. And why worry about the alcohol when you can get straight to the source. I guess if you liked beer, which I think you said you don't drink, you could look for a non-alcoholic version but it would need to still have the brewer's yeast in it. I think another reason it is often suggested is because it will relax you, allowing let down to occur more easily.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

I bought the Avent one and it didn't work, and the bad part is that it was $60 from Target and I can't return it. Oh well, what can you do?

Nikki
Old 11-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found it helpful to steep a bag of strawberry tea in with the mother's milk. Add a bit of honey and it actually tastes wonderful. I can't stand the tea by itself, either. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

pumping is hard work!

I know its hard to lahy out a ton of cash before the holidays but remember that if you dont pump, you'll have to buy formula and that is very expensive too.

a good pump is ESSENTIAL! you cant survive w/o it. ALso, I dont know how old your baby is but 6oz for an ebf baby is alot at once. DD is 13mo and only takes 4oz at a time.

here are a few links for you and your caregiver
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

how long are you pumping for?? you'll need to pump 20-30min to get fully emply assuming that you are double pumping.

and finally, its not at all unusual to need to pump more than baby eats. so, I pump on the way to work, at 10:30, 2:30, on the way home and before I go to bed.

on my days off, I pump as soon as I get up and right before bed and sometimes during the day if she takes a long nap (like now).

eta: ask the lac consultant - the medela hand pump may be the tubing/connection you need for the hosp rental pump.
also, the Ameda Purely yours pump is a good pump - its also called the lansinosh pump at target/walmart sometimes.
and there are cheaper places for a pis- look around on ebay froogle etc

Last edited by doberbrat; 11-26-2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more info
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #20
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

She is 3 months and takes approx. 4 oz at a time. At work I pump 2-3 times and am able to get 4 oz twice and about 2 1/2 ounces if I do get arund to the 3rd time.

I keep telling myself that I am not going to use formula. It is getting more and more tempting. It seem like the fenugreek is helping. She seems fuller. I will know for sure tomorrow when I pump at work. I am unable to pump at home on my days off because I didn't have enough to pump and feed the baby, so tomorrow will be the real test.

Nikki