Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #21
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New Here Just a Quick Question About Supply

When you pump at work, how long can you pump for? Are you able to get a letdown? And if you can squish in a session when you're at home it can help with your supply. I know it's hard, but even if you don't get anything, the stimulation can't hurt. I do know some people get up during the middle of the night to pump, too.

Advertisement

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #22
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I found if I had trouble pumping to get in a warm/hot shower totally relax and then pump or Ive even pumped in the shower. GL!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #23
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

When I pump at work its usually about 15 minutes, and then I can't get anything out after that. I haven't had a let down since the baby was still brand new. I haven't felt engorged like before either.

Nikki
football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #24
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by football_cheer_mom View Post
Unfortunately,

Its going the same. I really need to buy a good breast pump I think. I was looking at the Medela PIS, but even at Target its like $250. Yeouch !! Especially right now before Christmas that ones gonna be tough. I am still trying very hard. I don't want to quit. I have a gift card to Target for like $100, so I just need to save $150.

I'm going to the Health Food Store tomorrow to see if they have the Mother's Milk Tea, at this point I'm willing to try anything. I eat oatmeal everyday, and I hate oatmeal. The things we do for our babies.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Nikki

Lansolin has a great double electric pump for $150 @ walmart. It is the same pump as the Ameda Purely Yours, which I have used to pump for my 15 month old since going back to work @ 6 weeks. They aer just as effective and powerful as the medela, the companies just don't spend a ton of money on marketing, which is why they are less heard of.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #25
momof4
Registered Users
seller

I bet having a really good pump will make a big difference. I loved Medela, and for my DD 4 years ago, I found another nursing mama who worked with me, and we shared the cost and the pump. We each had our own collection bottles. I don't know if you have any nursing colleagues or neighbors, or if your local lactation consultant might help you find someone, but thought I'd mention the idea
Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

What a great idea to share the cost of the pump !! Unfortunately, I am the only one in my building that believes in BF'ing, although they are all supportive. Also, the ladies I work with are a little older and they are grandparents.

Do you mean the Lansinoh pump? I saw that one at Target for about the same price of $150, but it was only available on-line. I think that I may try that one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nikki
football_cheer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #27
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by football_cheer_mom View Post
I am unable to pump at home on my days off because I didn't have enough to pump and feed the baby, so tomorrow will be the real test.

Nikki

you have enough, she just has to work harder for it. if she's unwilling, then pump after you feed her. you should be able to collect 1-2oz that way. (prob 1oz in the beginning) but if you're consistent, then over the course of time that amt will build. the more you nurse/pump the more you get. ESP in the beginning.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I haven't read all of the replies, so I apologize if any of this has been stated before

Incrase water. Oatmeal is good, but it has to be Oats, not instant oatmeal.

Eating foods high in Vitamin B will help a lot. Green leafy veggies, beans, proteins, avacados, bananas, citrus fruits. Whole grains are excellent. Whole grain breads, brown rice, oats, etc. A Vit B supplement may help, but getting these vitamins from foods is always more successful.

You can also take fenugreek and/or drink Mothers Milk Tea. My local vitamin store has a supplement you can take rather than drinking the tea. The tea sin't very tasty. I used to drink mine cold, with a little lemon and a sprinkle of Splenda. Tasted much better that way.

Good Luck! I hope you can continue your breastfeeding relationship despite having to go back to work earlier than expected
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

I am currently pumping and working FT too. It's hard. Some things that I don't *think* have been mentioed.

*Read a book while you pump. One that is a page turner so that you forget that you are pumping. I have gotten more milk that way. I also get to zone out for about 15-20 min.

*I pump after DD feeds, if possible. I pump while I feed her as soon as I get home.

*If the fenugreek stops working, try Blessed Thistle. I have better success with it.

*I am on Reglan right now. (1 more week) It's not recommended for women who get depressed easily. But it REALLY has helped.

I am going to start taking the Blessed Thistle now before I stop Reglan. I also second the "Getting a good pump" suggestion. That makes a HUGE difference. I am using the Purely Yours by Ameda. It works great.

I hope that you can make it a while longer. I have made it almost 7 months. (Longer than anybody expected.) I am hoping to make it to Christmas holidays first and then see where I get to.

Good luck!!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #30
gala
Registered Users

Quote:
I bought the Avent one and it didn't work
I had a hard time getting my Avent Isis to work at first, but I stuck with it and now get a pretty good result. (It's not as easy/mindless as my Medela PIS, but it beats having to lug the big electric one back and forth to work every day).

Just so you know, being able to pump 4oz per session is FABULOUS. I've been back at work for 4 months and am only able to pump an average of 2 oz per session. If you want to build up your supply more, pump more - especially on the weekends. kellymom.com also has some great reading/resources on this.

Good luck, mama.
gala is offline   Reply With Quote