Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Can't believe I'm thinking about quitting

So, the last week, I've been thinking about quitting bfing. Logan is 9 months old and for the last 3 months has had some issues. He's now stopped growing completely. I mean absolutely no growth in 3 months. He's had diarrhea for 4 months and we're still trying to figure out why. Tons of tests have been done and only 2 things have come up. 1. he's not digesting his food(pretty obvious when you change his dipe, but they tested anyway) 2. his growth hormone levels are way up So, I just feel like quitting. I feel like maybe its me He was doing so well up until 6 months. He still eats fine, but just won't grow a hair. He's started biting and I know it's too early for milk, and with him not growing I know he'd have to be on formula I know I couldn't keep up with pumping. I just feel so sad. I'm so proud that I've stuck with bfing this long, and I feel that by even *thinking* about quitting, I'm failing Logan and myself.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I need a vacation.

Advertisement

jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
dreamtiger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't believe I'm thinking about quitting

I'm so sorry to hear your story! I think that is awesome that you have done it for 9 months -- but I totally understand what you mean about feeling like a failure if you even think about quitting... but I'm sure you are doing what is best for your baby and you've done it well for so long!

I also had a friend whose baby just wasn't gaining weight, and she started supplementing with homemade formula...and eventually the baby weaned herself. This is a 5 month baby, and the mom was devastated... it's really such a personal thing! It can feel like failure/rejection, etc. I'm sorry mama.
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only you know whats right for you. I am so pro-bf, but I am also for making your own educated choices. If you know the benefits, and feel that what you're going through now outweighs those, you shouldn't feel guilty at all. Making it 9 months is more than a lot of moms do! DS was sick for the first month of his life, and he had diarrhea often. Adding formula to his diet (and for a week or so, switching over completely) helped him stay hydrated and kept his horrible diaper rash at a "not so horrible" level. Even though I knew how important BM was at that point in his life, it made EVERYONE feel better when we supplemented. The bottom line is that you know whats right for you and your family! Don't feel guilty if its not BM anymore!
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
So, the last week, I've been thinking about quitting bfing. Logan is 9 months old and for the last 3 months has had some issues. He's now stopped growing completely. I mean absolutely no growth in 3 months. He's had diarrhea for 4 months and we're still trying to figure out why. Tons of tests have been done and only 2 things have come up. 1. he's not digesting his food(pretty obvious when you change his dipe, but they tested anyway) 2. his growth hormone levels are way up So, I just feel like quitting. I feel like maybe its me He was doing so well up until 6 months. He still eats fine, but just won't grow a hair. He's started biting and I know it's too early for milk, and with him not growing I know he'd have to be on formula I know I couldn't keep up with pumping. I just feel so sad. I'm so proud that I've stuck with bfing this long, and I feel that by even *thinking* about quitting, I'm failing Logan and myself.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I need a vacation.
Hugs hon!! My D stopped gaining weight at around 7-8 months- she weighs only about 3 pounds more now than she did at 8 months, and she's 16 months old! She's gotten taller, but not chunkier.
I would say if your ped thinks he's fine, don't worry! My ped said DD is completely healthy and perfect.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

See, I'm not worried about him not gaining, I think that's pretty normal with him crawling all over, but he hasn't grown 1/10th of a cm in the last 3 months. I don't know. I'm just so at a loss for anything right now. I don't even know what to think about him, or bfing or anything anymore. I'm sticking with bfing for as long as I can. We have an appt Tuesday, and as long as he's not losing weight, I'm fine with ebf. I guess I just feel like it would de-stress me a little if I wasn't bfing. KWIM?
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

You haven't failed at anything!!!! Even if you can't continue to BF you have still given him 9 months of precious breastmilk. Have you looked into getting high-calorie BM from your local milk bank? They also have human milk fortifiers which add calories to human milk, I had to use one for DS when he was born because he needed 24 calories and my BM only had 21. I seriously doubt that this is in any way your milk's fault. You could always have you milk tested for nutrition/calories to at least set you mind to ease. Hugs mama, YOU ARE DOING A FANTASTIC JOB
Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I would have to think that switching to formula would only make things worse. Breastmilk is the most easily digested food for a baby. If you already know that he is not digesting food then switching to formula may actually make things worse as it is so hard to digest. I agree with the pp about having your milk tested, they can tell you the calories and fat content. Most likely it is not your milk causing the issues and switching to formula may actually do more damage.

Has he seen a pediatric gastroenterologist? If not I would highly suggest it. (((hugs)))
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
conchispa
Registered Users
seller

Have they tested him for celiac desease? If he's 9 months I'm assuming he's started solids. Diarrhea and weight loss/no weight gain are some of the classic symptoms. Even without tests you can do a little experiment, you can eliminate any foods that contain gluten from his diet and see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 AM   #9
wholesomemama
Registered Users
seller

definately sounds like a food allergy to me.... I would highly recommend a ped (STRESS Pediatric) GI. My DS saw one for his reflux, and it makes a world of difference from your usual pedi. Good luck mamma. Like pp said, it's strange that the growth ceased at 6 months, shortly after starting him on solids.... something to look at anyway.
wholesomemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I second the food allergy. Have you tried cutting certain things out of your diet?