Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At what age (if any) do you think the MMR is safe?

We haven't gotten the MMR (no vax for ds 2) for either one of our boys and although I would like to separate them, I can't really afford it right now. Just wondering if any of you know if it is safe as a combo at any age? Thanks for your time!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age (if any) do you think the MMR is safe?

I was am doing my sons MMR right after his 2nd bday. thats the only vax i postponed... Its what i feel is the right thing to do to protect him. my girls got it at 15 months there fine> i was told an read that its best to not do the MMR if one of ur older kids got it and gotten side effects. there no proff it causees autisum and as far as it goes myself dh and dds have all goten it we r ok...
Do what u feel is right i waited till 2!!
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
KimberlyD0
Registered Users

We're doing it on schedual. We did with our first too. 0 issues.
KimberlyD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
yoopers
Registered Users

My kids will have it at 18 mo
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard in Japan they reccommend around 24 months or older.

We won't be doing it for religious reasons... and because every individual in my family has reacted to it

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't personally feel that MMR is ever safe, nor do I think it is necessary. Measels, mumps and especially rubella just aren't that bad. Both mumps and rubella are more benign than chickenpox.

If you really feel you must do it do it at age 5 before the child enters school. The child will have had plenty of time to develope a stronger immune system and to have a fully developed blood brain barrier (some people believe this helps protect them from encephalitis, a well documented side effect of the MMR vaccine). The other reason to wait till 5 is because if your child does react it is easier to prove. That may sound bad, but it is so easy to overlook a 12month old losing a word or two, or acting a little off, thinking it's just part of them developing. It is alot harder not to notice a total change in a 5yr old.

MMR was not intended to be used under age 2. But it has been progressively pushed younger and younger. When I was a child it was a vaccine you didn't get till the start of school. When my oldest niece was a baby (about 12yrs ago) it was done at age 2yrs. Just 7yrs ago it was recomended at 18months, then it was pushed back to 15months, and now 12months. Why is it being pushed back? Studies have shown that children under 2yrs do not mount a correct response to the measels component of MMR, and children who are exposed to young and don't respond correctly do not respond to future doses of the vaccine either.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Shannon, for all that info. I appreciate all of you taking the time to reply. I'm just having a hard time right now. I work in the medical field and often feel pressured yet I am hesitant to do it. I was just looking for more reasons to postpone it longer. Thanks! : )
Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto Shannon as always. I'd never allow that one to be given before 5. But even then, we never have plans to do that one.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

We got it on time at 12 months. No side effects.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are waiting until 5 or not at all.
I did not have the MMR as a child. My older brother did and is autistic, not saying it is related, but my mom thought so at at the time and choose not to have my younger bro or me. I had the mumps before and it sucked, but no worse than strep throat and I got it when I was older. I never had measles or rubella.