Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #41
magbtrfly
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wilton Color Chart for Yarn

subbing

Advertisement

magbtrfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #42
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This thread keeps getting buried so I'm posting it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsallary View Post
I told another DS mama that I would make a tutorial for her because the number of tutorials handpainting with Wilton's is slim....so here we go:

First, skein your yarn and tie off in numerous places. The longer the skein, the more ties you should have but I recommend a minimum of 4 to prevent tangling.

In the example, blue yarn is used to tie to show the over/under method but I usually use the same yarn I am dyeing to tie off that way there is no risk of bleeding from other colors.

Soak your yarn in lukewarm water with 1/2 cup vinegar for 30 minutes - overnight. I usually put my yarn in the sink before I go to bed, and it's all ready to dye in the morning.

Once your yarn has soaked, take your skein out of the water and SQUEEZE as much water out as you can DO NOT WRING your yarn.

Cover your work surface with newspaper if you feel it's necessary. Lay plastic wrap out on your work area about 8-12 in longer than your skein. I live in a studio, so my work area is the kitchen floor....notice the linoleum under the plastic wrap?

Lay your skein out on the plastic wrap.

Choose your colors and get them ready. For handpainting I recommend 3-5 colors, anymore than that and the colors can become muddy. It's also best to use colors that blend well when still learning to do this.

Boil 1/2 cup water with 1/4 cup vinegar. I put the water and vinegar in a glass measuring cup and microwave for about a minute. The water has to be BOILING hot for Wilton's to dissolve adequately.

Choose your first color. The easiest way to determine how much Wilton's you need is to add a small amount of colorant to your water and test the color by placing a drop on a paper towel. I use a table knife to add color. I put the knife in the Wilton's and into the water to mix. Test color. Repeat until you see the color you are aiming for.

When I've "found" my color, I pour it into a little squirt/squeeze bottle. (These are Wilton's brand that I found at Wal-Mart....they were like 4 for $2)

Repeat the process for the number of colors you have.

Decide what order you want your colors to be and begin at one end of the skein. Squeeze a small amount of color on the yarn and use your fingers to "push" the color to the bottom of the yarn; this prevents missed spots on the underside.

The smaller the intervals between colors, the more color changes there will be and vice versa.

A small side note, although the Wilton's is non-toxic, I recommend wearing gloves for this part or your fingers might look like mine did when you’re done.

When you've reached the end of your skein, place paper towels on your yarn to soak up any extra liquid that may be there. Then fold the plastic wrap up on each side of your skein almost like a burrito.

Then starting at one end, roll your skein like a cinnamon roll....

until it looks like this:

Cut another piece of saran wrap and wrap it around your yarn roll.

Place your yarn in a container and place in the microwave.

Microwave for 1 minute. Turn your roll over and microwave for 1 minute. You will need to use tongs or something similar to turn your yarn roll because it will be very HOT.

cool for 2 minutes.
Repeat for a total of 6-8 minutes of cook time but NO MORE THAN 8 MINUTES! There will likely be water at the bottom of your container and it should be nearly clear this is when you should stop "cooking" your yarn.

Remove from microwave and allow to cool. This can take several hours up to overnight. But if your inpatient, like me, you can allow to cool for 30 minutes or so and remove from plastic wrap....this will help it cool faster. Be careful though because the yarn may still be hot in the middle.

When your yarn is cooled (at least to room temp) rinse in water in as close a temperature to your yarn as possible. If your yarn is room temp, lukewarm or tepid water will be fine.

Rinse until the water runs clear; typically it only takes 1 -2 rinses.

Add a small amount of baby soap and squeeze through your yarn.

Rinse again to remove the soap.

Squeeze as much water as you can out of your yarn. Again I'm inpatient, so I roll it up in a towel and step on it to get even more water out. Alternately, you can put it in your washer on the spin cycle to spin the extra water out but make sure your washer doesn't add any water.

Hang your yarn up to dry. Again, I live in a small studio, so I drape my yarn on a hanger and then hang it in the doorway to dry. It can take anywhere from a few hours-3 days for it to dry.

Once it has dried, I re-skein to distribute the color...this is the only way you can truly appreciate "handpainted" yarn.

And my final result:

Any questions are more than welcome!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #43
NinjaBunnyStudios
Registered Users
Formerly: xxferretgirlxx
seller

My Mood:

Awesome reference!

NinjaBunnyStudios - My Etsy Shop
NinjaBunnyStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #44
skyebows
Registered Users

I totally just dyed some yarn and I overdid the water/dye way too much and when I rolled it the brown dye starting running into the other colors so I got some muddy looking pink and orange LOL So I am going to pick up some more yarn tonight and I think my new idea or my fix instead of trying to get the liquid amount right I think I will put it in a spiral on a plate with saran wrap under it then make lines with the squirt dye from the middle out and rotating colors then put saran wrap over and wrap it under the plate then stick it in the microwave I think that would help with any liquid running into other colors I hope it still works we will find out tonight
skyebows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #45
MamandÉlise&Muriel
Registered Users
Formerly: Mamandelise
seller

These are AMAZING!!! So another stupid question coming... Wilton's makes actual dye or are you using the stuff for cakes?

Forget it, I just saw there was a second page to this thread - doh!

Last edited by MamandÉlise&Muriel; 08-20-2011 at 09:41 AM.
MamandÉlise&Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #46
mumoftwogirls
Registered Users

Thats awsome! Thanks for all your work on that!
mumoftwogirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #47
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Awesome!!! Thanks so much mama!
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #48
ColbyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can't wait to try this!
ColbyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #49
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

2 questions... first, has anyone tried this using boiled walnut hulls to get a dark brown dye? Second, what weight of yarn (lions) are you using? Are you using worsted weight, or will it work with any? Are you using 100% wool or will cotton yarn work too? I assume that acrylics wouldn't hold the dye as well.

Thanks! What an awesome tutorial. I want to try this, but I am thinking it might have to wait until DS is a little older or I will have a *lot* of "help" hehehehe.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #50
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
2 questions... first, has anyone tried this using boiled walnut hulls to get a dark brown dye? Second, what weight of yarn (lions) are you using? Are you using worsted weight, or will it work with any? Are you using 100% wool or will cotton yarn work too? I assume that acrylics wouldn't hold the dye as well.

Thanks! What an awesome tutorial. I want to try this, but I am thinking it might have to wait until DS is a little older or I will have a *lot* of "help" hehehehe.
I am not the original poster and cannot help with the first question... but can help a bit with the second I'm sure she used 100% wool yarn probably worsted weight because that is what's typically used to make longies but any weight would work as long as it's 100% wool. Wilton's (or any food coloring for that matter) are acid dyes and will only work with animal fibers like wool or silk. You need to use a fiber reactive dye dye for cotton and you can't dye acrylic at all. I hope that helps!