Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Washing Pocket Diapers

This may be a stupid question but... I'm currently pregnant with my first child so all that I know about cloth diapering I've learned from Google and forums like this- no real world experience yet! So my question is... when washing pocket diapers do you remove the inserts before putting them in the diaper pail or washing machine? Or do they tend to work their way out during washing? I want to make sure they get clean, obviously, but it sounds like risky business trying to separate inserts from diapers when they're full! Thanks in advance for your tips!

Advertisement

amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Washing Pocket Diapers

Some pockets are designed for the inserts to agitate out in the wash (I'm not sure on specific brands) but the Bumgenius pockets I use I take the inserts (we use folded prefolds or flats as inserts not the ones that come with) out before putting them into the pail. It's not the most glamorous task but it's never been an issue.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think many of them are designed so they come out on their own now. Even if the ones you buy aren't, I'd probably try and see whether that works before I start unstuffing the yucky ones! No need dealing with mess unless you have to.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I use pockets. I unstuff almost all of them before washing. It isn't that bad - the pocket is usually at the very back or very front, so it's easy to grab the edge of the insert and pull it out. I unstuff before I throw it in my diaper pail so that I don't have to unstuff after it has sat there for a day or two. In my experience, the only inserts that agitate out on their own are in pockets that have openings at both the front and the back. BumGenius will have to be unstuffed, as will Rumparooz. Funky Fluff come out on their own, and I think any other pocket that has double opening will as well. For pockets in the back, sometimes there will be poop at the edge of the insert, but pee is usually saved up in the center or front of the insert unless it is really soaked, so pulling out the insert isn't as gross as it may sound. I just prefer to do it while changing the diaper instead of after the diapers have turned cold and stinky in the pail.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Bumgenius is mostly what I have. Thanks for your input, that is really helpful! I suppose you're right, as long as it's not a major blowout it probably won't be a big deal!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
MinekaC
Registered Users

I do what Elchorrito does.
We started w/ prefolds and covers, and have moved to pockets cause wiggly butts=hard to diaper. (the only thing that distracts her is me having something in my mouth and talking. That gets old fast for me.)
I MUCH prefer prefolds as stuffes as opposed to the MF inserts a lot of diapers come with.
I wish I had started w/ prefolds and pockets, and just use the pockets as covers during the new born stage, and now I can stuff the pockets for the moving stage.
Would've been cheaper. BLARG! Live and learn (this is likely to be our one n only. So it's annoying we won't be re-using the stash. At the same time, it's still cheaper than sposies)
MinekaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Majority come out in the wash but there are a few I have had problems with like China cheapies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always removed the insert, I've really only used bumgenius pockets. I just pull it out about half way, usually using a cloth wipe then fold in and in the wet bag/pail. If there is a poop it can be a bit trickier.... if you spray or swish with the insert in it will absorbent lots of water. But you don't want poop falling everywhere.... so need to figure out what works for you, but knocking off what you can in the toilet, removing the insert completely, then spraying was our normal process.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinekaC View Post
I do what Elchorrito does.
We started w/ prefolds and covers, and have moved to pockets cause wiggly butts=hard to diaper. (the only thing that distracts her is me having something in my mouth and talking. That gets old fast for me.)
I MUCH prefer prefolds as stuffes as opposed to the MF inserts a lot of diapers come with.
I wish I had started w/ prefolds and pockets, and just use the pockets as covers during the new born stage, and now I can stuff the pockets for the moving stage.
Would've been cheaper. BLARG! Live and learn (this is likely to be our one n only. So it's annoying we won't be re-using the stash. At the same time, it's still cheaper than sposies)
I have a few covers and planning to get some prefolds for the newborn stage. I never thought of using my OS pockets as covers! It is so hard to know what to buy when you've never cloth diapered before because everyone's experience is different! Thanks for your input, super helpful!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #10
lilajeansmom+2
Registered Users

Yep, remove inserts unless brand specifically says that you don't need to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lilajeansmom+2 is offline   Reply With Quote