Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Im scared......almost to tears

With my daughter Avery. ( breast fed till she was almost 2)
The first 2 weeks .....where a nightmare.

My nipples split open , bleeding everywhere , the min she latched on would feel liek she just slice open at a healing sore. Pumping was usless 15 mins i would only get 3oz ......all creams and jellys did nothing for me......

till i found the nipple sheilds..... it helped.... but the pain of latching then your nipple getting sucked into the sheild SUCKED........

then i started putting olive oil on my nipples and 2 days later they where happy and the sheild didnt hurt.....took me about another week after the first 2 to wean her off the sheild and back to plain breastfeeding......

I am 18 weeks pregnant , my nipples HURT to the slightest tuch and its broughten back theses awful memories.....

dose it hurt as bad as with ur 2nd LO as it did with the first ( if it was painful)
is there anything i can do to prepare..... im thinking about putting olive oil on them the last month of pregnancy..... it helped with avery im hoping it helps this time..... and ive already bought a pack of nipple sheilds....

Advertisement

~~~Expecting Jan.2015 Baby~~~
xoxCoralxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Im scared......almost to tears

Hi mama, I breastfed all 3 of my kiddos. At first, as we were both learning, it was sore....but not super painful. It sounds like your lo was never latching on quite right. I would contact a lactation consultant this time. Maybe they could come to the hospital when this one is born and help you get a good latch from the beginning and hopefully avoid some unnecessary pain Good luck!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
jlizgar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you ever seek the help of a certified lactation cosultant? Because it sounds to me that your LO didnt have a proper latch on your nipple for it to have caused you THAT much pain....yes, it can be uncomfortable but it shouldnt be PAINful.....please, this time around, be sure to take advantage of any of the lactation consultants at your hospital and the Le Leche League also has them and they usually have local chapters, look them up!

Liz
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I spoke to the one in the hospital and she said her latch was perfect. Then after a week at home i went to another hospital and still she was perfect had plenty of wet diapers and everything.

My hole boob was probly in her mouth lol. The lady told me i just had very sensitive skin.... which i kinda do ..... im just hoping breast feeding for almost 2 years has tuffed them up..... im just worried....cause i had a 100% natrual 100% pain free birth.... ... and bloody breast feeding was MORE painful that pushing a baby out no joke. lol

Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

I had a really hard time the first time around with raw bloody nipples and being super sore for weeks.. same story, the LC said DD's latch was perfect .. it was just horrible.. i never used a nipple shield, i've been told it can hurt your supply in the long run to use it early on, but i guess its better than not nursing at all.. i would bit down on a wet washcloth when DD latched ..

2nd time around, DS's latch was a little off, went to the LC on day 4 - got that taken care of, but my nipples were already in horrible shape.. after just a couple days they were totally healed. no pain, no nipple shields, no pumping, no bottles etc. they still got torn up just as fast as the first time, but they healed SO much faster.. my milk also came in 2-3 days faster so i think that helped..

be proactive, and not with the nipple shields but with the LC.. with my DD we think her latch may have been off in the first 12 hours and that while it got better after that, the nursing just in that time is what caused the damage .. also-- my LC the 2nd time around talked a lot about managing the pain, advil - antibiotic cream - salt water soaks etc.. she gave me a list of things to do that i didn't do the first time around and it made a HUGE difference..

oh, and pumping 3 oz with a less than 2 week old is GREAT!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Cloth4us
Registered Users

I too was really nervous to nurse #2. With DD I had 19 months of PAIN!!! I would bite my fingers and kick my foot against the chair just so I wouldn't have to think of the pain at my nipples. I also had an oversupply then an undersupply then vasoconstriction and lots of plugged ducts. I am sooooo happy to say that #2 is going GREAT!!! Day 1 I started only offering one side per feeding and I kept at that side for 2 hrs before switching- this has definitely helped with my oversupply. I also let DS self latch for at least the first six weeks. My La Leche group had a video that showed the baby self latching ( you rest him on your chest, with him only in a diaper and you topless. You support his bum and he actually moves himself to the side he wants and latches on. If the latch isn't good, he comes off and relatches). Watching the video was really helpful, but I think relaxing and letting him do everything made the biggest difference. DS is 4 months and I haven't had any problems. Good luck!
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post

oh, and pumping 3 oz with a less than 2 week old is GREAT!!
is it really ??? wow... i thought i just sucked lol.
my friend tania can hand express like 10 oz in 5 mins .... i envy her lol.

thanks girls ... makes me feel a tad better that i wasnt the only one.
i know its soo early to be worring about this but just with the painfully nipples i already have now.... the memories are hard to excape...kwim?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my experience, I would try to stick it out. Here's why. I have breastfed 6 kids. The first four, their older siblings were weaned already, and it was WEEKS of bleeding, cracking, hit the ceiling pain. My youngest, I was still nursing my toddler, and there was virtually no pain. The first trimester is a little ouchie, and your milk mostly goes away at about 20 weeks, but that was NOTHING compared to the pain of reacquainting your nipples with nursing.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxCoralxox View Post
my friend tania can hand express like 10 oz in 5 mins .... i envy her lol.
OMG!!! THAT IS CRAZY!! everyone is different, but the absolute most i have EVER pumped EVER is 3.5 ounces .. and it took like 30 mins. i can hand express 1 oz. and i'm proud of that.. hand expression is hard .lol. seriously though, 1-2 ounces is fine in the early weeks .. thats all your baby really needs anyway at one feeding and your baby is more efficient than a pump anyway..
Old 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
SewingSeedsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxCoralxox View Post
Yes I spoke to the one in the hospital and she said her latch was perfect. Then after a week at home i went to another hospital and still she was perfect had plenty of wet diapers and everything.

My hole boob was probly in her mouth lol. The lady told me i just had very sensitive skin.... which i kinda do ..... im just hoping breast feeding for almost 2 years has tuffed them up..... im just worried....cause i had a 100% natrual 100% pain free birth.... ... and bloody breast feeding was MORE painful that pushing a baby out no joke. lol
I am so sorry! I hope things go better with this one. They probably will since you already know what helped the last time.
SewingSeedsMama is offline   Reply With Quote