Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Burping tips/tricks? ds is a MAJOR burp resistor!

1 week old DS is wonderful in every way EXCEPT he will not burp! And, he's not one of those babies who doesn't need to burp either.

I can hear him swallowing the air so I know it's in there. What ends up happening is that I burp him fruitlessly for a while then give up. Then, he'll act hungry and I'll give in and feed him only to have him volcano spit up all over both of us. This CANNOT continue! DD did the EXACT same thing but I can't remember what I finally tried that worked out.

I'm DESPERATE for any weird or wonderful tricks to get the air outta this kid without having it involve changing my bra and having a bath every time....

TIA!

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Burping tips/tricks? ds is a MAJOR burp resistor!

Try cupping your hand while you pat and "sitting" him on your leg?

Also, with DD1, I would put her neck level to my shoulder so her whole head was leaning over but the chest was upright against my collar bone and it worked for her.

She was formula fed though. DD2 was EBF and I didn't really hear a lot of air and she rarely burped except naturally....I hope it doesn't give your little guy problems!
and full-time student.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for more ideas....... please (insert pathetic puppy dog eyes here)

I've tried all the regular stuff already. I've even resorted to having him do some leg raises and tummy crunches during the burp routine too. I need help!
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ducky was one of those. The only thing that would work was not patting when I burped. Instead what I did was massage his back starting from the bottom and go up towards his neck. I'd alternate both sides of his back. I would kind of pat his sides as well (low, near the tummy area) When I'd massage his back, I could feel sometimes where exactly the air pockets were. It was weird, you would be massaging it and either feel the air move or grumble. That would let me know which areas to concentrate more.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have him sitting on my knee while I did it too. He was one that if you didn't burp him, three hours later he'd give a big manburp loud enough to startle a room.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
redvlagrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ours was just the same! My friend told me this trick: sit LO on your knee and jiggle your leg like crazy! Worked every time for us. Otherwise, the pat over the shoulder, esp at the top of her bum for some reason!
redvlagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
mommasave36
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there mama, sometimes they just don't or won't burp. He'll grow into his little body and figure things out. At least he doesn't spew all over every time he burps. I swear that I have to change ds2 at least twice a day and myself once a day and also do a scrub-down on the couch. He always seems to toss it over my shoulder. He's now 5 months and finally burps clear most of the time and spits up just to keep us on our toes.

I agree with other pp...you can really feel where the air is if you rub their back rather than pat.

Oh, and ds1 never, never burped or spat up.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
mommasave36
Registered Users
seller

forgot to add...

Congrats on your LO!!
mommasave36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Turtlegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your beautiful LO! My DS is 4 months, and a difficult burper (and tooter!) also. I lay him across my knees on his tummy and bounce a little. also when upright, I sit him astride one knee cup his jaw with one hand and gently pull up. Not hard, just enough to straighten him out a little. Also rub his head...don't know why, but this seems to work. My Mom is a NICU nurse and she suggested it.
Oh, it's nice to see another Canadian mama!!
Turtlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Caleb&Micah'sMom
Registered Users

I figured out with my second born that I was patting him too high up on his back. I pat him on his lower back rather than mid back and it has made a big difference. Also, when he was real little I would have to hold him up on my lap with his chin propt up into my hands. This helped release the burp sooner too.
Caleb&Micah'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote