Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 Year Old with Behavior Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
Healthy snack ideas: applesauce, cheese sticks, edamame (you can buy frozen packages of this at our local grocery, and they just require heating for two minutes in the microwave to be ready), fresh fruit, yogurt (you can make plain yogurt yourself at home and add fruit, in order to avoid any additives).
Sorry i think i was thinking u meant low-carb. these make sense. Lately, my kids balk at such snacks but I think that they just are bored, not really hungry. Any ideas for drinks?? My kids will literally become dehydrated with dry coughs if I only give them water. They just wont drink much of it. If I give them juice then that is all they want and they dont eat much for meals.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found some great fruit snacks (if you don't have a local health food store or Kroger) that look pretty tasty on Amazon....My kids have had them before and love them. They are called fruit leathers. I'm trying to find out wether I can make them on my own or not, but our fruit is so high here for organic and it may be just as cost efficient to buy them. They are like $12 for 30 and if you spend a certain amount you can get free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay for some reasons the links didn't come up right

go to amazon.com and do a search for fruit snacks or fruit leathers.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

my chiropractor's son was the same way whenever he had red dye. she cut that out and also wheat dairy and sugar. she's a huge beleiver in treating conditions with diet.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to try out all this stuff - but if you cut out wheat that means you cut out bread - you cut out dairy - cheese & milk. I can't see doing that when he loves cheese cubes for snack and they are relatively healthy. I am definitely going no artificial anything. My husband rolls his eyes at me. He thinks we eat too healthy already but apparently we don't. I don't care. I'm going to do what's best for my kids and he can eat McDonalds everyday if he wants to but it won't be the kids doing it!! I'm boss. Period.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

the no wheat/dairy/sugar thing is hard to stick to i agree. i did it and felt great but fell off the wagon after 2 months
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
domandmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Over Thanksgiving my MIL explained to me about milk allergy. It is different than being lactose intolerant. Both DH and BIL are allergic. Not many pedis or people know about it and I have just started researching it myself. What she told me is that it is more of a emotional response than physical and that BIL and DH are like different people when they have dairy. They also have difficulty concentrating when they have dairy. BIL especialy avoids dairy and during college wouldn't have anything for 2-3 days before a test.

Disclaimer I have not checked the sources of this webpage but interesting

http://www.allergiesexplained.com/24-Effects-of-milk-on-brain-function.htm

HTH
domandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went on a juice fast for 2 weeks and felt wonderful. It really refreshes your mind. I also lost weight doing that. BUT the problem is - you really have to make a life change. That is the whole problem. I would love to eliminate these things (wheat, dairy) BUT I don't think it will really stick. My son goes to school and does occasionally eat lunch there, but also they have snack day every day where a different child brings that days snack. THAT would be a problem. As well as when he goes to friends houses or even grandma and papas. I am going to do the artificial flavor/color and perservatives FIRST. Then if that doesn't help I am also going to try dairy and then wheat. I am also trying to find a therapist to take him to to analyze his behavior. Either way I will let you all know what works for him - what doesn't - and how it is going for us. I am really excited to see changes in my baby boy. I know he is a sweet, intelligent child - I can't wait for others to see that side of him!!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Take him to see a naturopathic doctor. They normally can make recommendations about what dietary changes your child needs. Also:

Quote:
but if you cut out wheat that means you cut out bread - you cut out dairy - cheese & milk. I can't see doing that when he loves cheese cubes for snack and they are relatively healthy.
This is NOT true! There are recipes for bread that you can make without wheat! Heck, there are even wheat-free bread mixes you can purchase that can be used to make loaves, rolls or pizza crust.

As for milk and cheese, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sell soy based milk, cheese (including cream cheese) and yogurt. It's good stuff!

But I agree, cut out the additives and colorings first before trying other dietary restrictions.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will try to find a naturopathic doc but I'm sure we don't have one here. We are limited in what we do have because of the town size.