Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
ishwishdish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sweet potato recipe request

Is anyone willing to share a killer sweet potato recipe that everyone raves about? We are having our Thanksgiving on Sunday and I delegated most dishes but got stuck with this one. I've never once made sweet potatoes. I love them though and have tasted many good ones.

I'd be ever so grateful!!

Advertisement

ishwishdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sweet potato recipe request

I make mine by cutting the sweet potatoes into large chunks and sauteing them in a pan with butter and about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a dash of salt. After they saute a while, I add about 1/2 cup more sugar, maybe a little less, I just dump really and bake them in the oven until they are candied and browned. Yum!
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
ishwishdish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

forgot to mention, needs to be made the day before...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
jelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I had raves for mine today, lol. Just boil your sweet potatoes until done, but not mushy. Peel, slice in 9x13 pan (can layer) and put dabs of butter on all slices and sprinkle brown sugar (liberally) over all the slices.
Then for a topping I melt butter and add brown sugar, chopped pecans and coconut just until "candied". Then bake at 375 until hot (about 30-45 minutes).
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is my favourite sweet potato recipe...I can't remember where I originally got it from and I no longer use an "exact" recipe I've made it so many times so this is forgiving recipe.

Baked pecan crusted sweet potatoes:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash your sweet potatoes and then prick the skin with a fork several times each potato. Wrap each potato in foil and place on baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 45 minutes or until fork tender.

While baking, mix the following:

1 stick softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans

When potatoes are done, remove from oven and baking sheet and place in a 9 x 13 or bigger baking dish, unwrapped. Cut slit in each baked potato, lengthwise and fill crevice (you may need to take out a bit of the potato with a spoon, but I never have) with 1-2 T. of the butter/pecan filling (or more if you want!). If you like, you can top the filling with small coloured marshmallows (this can be fun for the kiddos if you supervise). Then return the potatoes to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

This makes about 8-10 large sweet potatoes.

Like I said, this is a VERY forgiving recipe, you can always add a bit more or less butter, etc. to make for more or for fewer baked potatoes. It is super easy to make to, no mashing and all of that, and the potatoes come out gooey and gorgeous!

Last edited by jenmcfar; 11-24-2006 at 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot an ingrediant
jenmcfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I got this one from food tv and love it because it is not smashed or too sweet:

4 Sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup oil oil
1/4 honey
2 tsp cinnamon
salt & pepper

375degree

Spread the cubes onto a cookie sheet.

Dizzle olive, then honey, then cinnamon and s&p, toss all around and bake for about 30 minutes until tender.

THESE ARE AWESOME!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Here's one our family loves:

Sweet Potatoe Casserole
2#sweet potatoes
1/2 c. turbinado/raw sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Peel and dice sweet potatoes, boil until fork tender; drain and mash with butter. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x9 casserole dish.
Topping:
1/2 c. turbinado sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
1/3 c. softened (NOT MELTED) butter
Combine flour, sugar and nuts. Cut in butter. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

This is easy to double and put in a 9x13 baking dish. It's sooooo yummy! You can prepare it and put un-baked in the refrigerator over night w/o the topping then set it out of the fridge ~30 before you need to bake it and add the topping and bake as usual. (DO NOT take it directly from the fridge to a heated oven if it is in a glass dish!!!)
Also, it re-heats really well! Just be sure to not have the over too hot.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
ishwishdish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so pathetic, I still can't figure out which recipe to do.

Anyway, while I'm at it, I was wondering if any of you can tell me anything about doing stuff ahead of time. I'm mostly wondering if it will be ok to peel/slice my potatoes tonight to cook tomorrow. Will the potatoes turn grey? And if my cucumber will be ok to peel/slice until Sunday or will it get slimy?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made mine the night before. I baked them until they were just done with about 1/2 the sugar I wanted. Then the day of I took them out of the fridge, topped with a little more sugar and baked until bubbly. Took no time at all the day of!
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always make more savory sweet potatos.
Slice sweet potatos (I halve lengthwise, and then slice into 1/4" "moons") and steem until almost tender. Put into a baking dish and dot with butter. Sprinkle with dried dill weed (I use a mix called "it's a dilly" that has other spices too, namely lemon, so I'd add a little lemon juice if using plain dill) and mix aroind to coat pieces. Bake (covered with foil for the first half) until sweet potatos are tender.
You could steem them the day before and bake on T-day, or just do it all the day before and heat up on T-day.
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote