Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is this napping habit unhealthy for DS?

DS2 is NOT a good sleeper. He will sleep for 45 minute stretches in the MT or riding in the car. If I let him use the human binky, he will sleep a little longer, but he must be attached and I must be still.

BUT

This week I started letting DD (21 months) watch Sesame Street. It starts at 9. I nurse DS2 (6.5 months) and then put him in the swing facing the TV. Around 9:30 he's OUT and will sleep BY HIMSELF in the swing for at least a full hour-usually 1.5 hours. It has been consistent and I have actually gotten some housework done.

I am still nursing him through afternoon nap time while DD sleeps as well.

I am thrilled at the consistency and the fact that I can get something done without carrying him the whole time.

BUT

Is this TV business bad bad for him? Am I hurting his little brain? DD never noticed the TV at this age so it was never on, but he turns himself around to watch it regardless of where he is.

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Wendylady
Registered Users

Re: Is this napping habit unhealthy for DS?

If he's actually watching it I'd probably not keeping doing it if I were you, just my If the sound just helps him sleep and he's asleep the entire time I don't see the big deal.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think the TV is hurting him at all. I doubt he even focuses on the screen between being tired and the back and forth of the swing. I bet it is the constant noise that helps him stay asleep. You might want to try a sound machine, that has worked wonders for us.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe its just the constant noise of the tv plus the swinging motion that he likes? I doubt it will do any harm at his age.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree that he's propbably fine. But if you're a little worried, why not try doing the same thing (in the swing, facing the tv) but with the tv off and the radio (or a cd) on quietly. Maybe that will do the trick? If not, then I still wouldn't worry about it too much. It's likely just a phase that will pass eventually and you'll have to figure something else out
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
lovemyryley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that kids under 2 shouldn't watch TV at all, but I don't know if it's legitimate or not. A friend of the family will actually block her Little Ones' view if the TV is even on and he looks towards it... having said that, my kids watched TV before they were 2 and seem just fine.

lovemyryley is offline   Reply With Quote