Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Unhappy How does one know if you have PPD?

Ever since having Juliette, I don't feel so normal. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I have no energy, I'm always in a bad mood, always grouchy, I'm always sad or mad. I've never been like this before and I'm not really sure what is up with me. I feel overwhelmed at times, I get frustrated and feel like such a horrible mom. I feel like I'm constantly yelling at my kids. I love them so much, more than anything, but lately I feel like I can't handle them and I hate that I feel this way. I hate that I feel like I'm being mean to them, I don't want to be. I just get frustrated, overwhelmed. I'm constantly fighting with DH. He says that he feels like I have a very negative attitude recently. I'm always fighting and take things way too personal. I've never been this way and just don't know what's wrong with me.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How does one know if you have PPD?

awwww hon - it does sound like a little PPD or at least baby blues. Just remember, having a new baby is overwhelming to begin with. They demand a lot of us, and we don't always have much left over to give to the rest of the family.
Also with Juliette's medical concerns, there's added stress and exhaustion and worry.. I'm sure everything you're feeling is completely normal, though I know that doesn't make it easy. You're not alone though - I still have those days (weeks.. months..) and my youngest is 2! If you're really concerned, of course you should talk to your OB or PCP, but in the meantime just know that you're doing all you can and you're no less of a wonderful mother for having the feelings you do, okay?
If you need anything, I'm right up the road!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Please talk to your doctor. What you are describing might be the normal baby blues, but it sounds to me like it could be PPD.

I have a history of clinical depression, so my doc was super-vigilent about watching me for any signs of PPD. The red light for me came when I actually thought "I hate having to feed my baby." I was having issues BFing, and every time I was told it was time to nurse, I HATED having to care for ds. That sounds so awful to say, but it was true. I called my doc immediately, and we decided that I should stop BFing and switch to formula. That helped a lot and kept me from going into the downward spiral I know too well.

Please know that the feelings you described don't make you a horrible mom, and it is okay to be overwhelmed. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
i&a's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would encourage you to talk to your doc because it sounds like it to me.

My OB/GYN had a talk with my husband while we were pregnant about recognizing the signs and symptoms of PPD, and at around 4 weeks, DH told me he thought I had it. At my 6 week check up with my doctor, I described a lot of the same feelings that you did, and he diagnosed me with it.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
4smartmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: momto4smartmonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Oh honey, just remember you aren't alone!
It could just be plain old baby blues, but it's possible that you have PPD. I would go to see your dr. They will help you out.
I started suffering from depression when I was just a teenager, and after each baby, it was harder for me.
Talking with family and friends can help, you find out lots of moms suffer everything you are feeling.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please talk to your doctor.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
TabbySanchez07
Registered Users
seller

Sorry you are going through this! I had PPD really bad with DS#1 and then when I had DS#2 I joined the pg when he was 3 weeks. I was able to get out of the house and be around other moms and not always feel alone. It was what saved me from getting it the second time around. I was on zoloft for a little while after he was born, but that was when he was around 6 months or so. I just started feeling depressed, but I have suffered depression my whole life without getting help and so I am just prone to it. If you need any help there are TONS of us moms in the pg willing to help you out! We have all been there at one point or another. To be honest, I am scared of having this third baby because of this very reason. When you told me how hard it was I realized that I may not be able to get out of the house for a while. I know that I need to have lots of friends and family around to keep me from going insane and getting PPD. Again if you need me I am not very far at all and neither is Kim.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, it took me locking myself in the bathroom so my kids wouldnt see me cry to finally realize that I needed some help I was always grouchy, sad, overwhelmed, cried over every single thing. I would totally freak out when my husband had to go to work because I couldn't handle both of them at once. The worst part, to me, was that I didnt feel like I even loved my children. That was the most horrible feeling in the world! Since I've been on Zoloft, I enjoy my babies, most of the time and I don't mind DH going to work, some days its really nice to just be alone with the boys so definitely talk to your doctor

If you want some help, I'm not too far away and the boys are almost over their cold
Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Talk to your Dr. Mama. If you are recognzing that you are not yourself and so has DH you just might have PPD. I had it with DD1. I would call DH crying that I needed help but didn't want to call anyone to come over as I didn't want them to think I was a bad mom. For me my breaking point was when I felt like hurting my baby and started yelling at her. Right after that I put her down and called my doctor immediately.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Jenny Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That definitely sounds very probable for PPD, so definitely call your doctor first thing Monday morning. It can be so hard to make that call, but you'll be so glad that you did. I called my doctor on a Friday at noon. They saw me that day at 3:30. I was in tears when I called, and I'm so glad they got me in right then. It's taken lots of dose adjustments and one med change, but I feel like I'm pretty even now.