Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How does one know if you have PPD?

I hear you sister! Take it from me, Effexor will change your life. You will be back to normal and enjoy your lo so much more. Please talk to your doctor.

Advertisement

mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
TabbySanchez07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma07 View Post
For me, it took me locking myself in the bathroom so my kids wouldnt see me cry to finally realize that I needed some help I was always grouchy, sad, overwhelmed, cried over every single thing. I would totally freak out when my husband had to go to work because I couldn't handle both of them at once. The worst part, to me, was that I didnt feel like I even loved my children. That was the most horrible feeling in the world! Since I've been on Zoloft, I enjoy my babies, most of the time and I don't mind DH going to work, some days its really nice to just be alone with the boys so definitely talk to your doctor

If you want some help, I'm not too far away and the boys are almost over their cold
Your in SA too? See Mama you have lots of us close by willing to help in any way we can.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
baylandria
Registered Users

If you are wondering at all, I would go talk to someone...HUGS!!!
baylandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
caroferris
Registered Users
seller

I had some of these same issues after having my daughter, I was a wreck - it actually turned out to be a thyroid problem, which occurs in about 5% of women postpartum (and is often confused with PPD because the symptoms can be so similar) Once I started taking synthroid I felt a LOT better. Definitely talk to your doctor about what you are feeling, they can figure out what is going on - you don't have to handle it by yourself :-)

take care of yourself, mama
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry mama. I would also talk with a doc about it, but seek non-pharmaceutical intervention at the stage you described. I've never been diagnosed with PPD, though I had it. Well, I don't know if you can claim it's PPD, it was probably just depression after we lost our first son. It was horrible, for months. But I had it with another of our boys, and it was terrible. I used to have horrible thoughts like I'd be in the kitchen cooking and think to myself "I wonder what would happen if I stuck him in the hot oven". Or I'd just imagine throwing him against a wall, or have dreams about him being torn apart. Really gruesome stuff, in detail. And NOT because I was angry at them. I would just be living my life and have these sick, horrible thoughts. I never wanted to act on any of them, but their very existence scared the crap out of me. I was also sad, tired, cranky, etc as you described but just stress and sleep deprivation can cause all of those things because I was that way with our last baby, but do not think it was PPD at all. So many hormonal changes go on, and we can be really moody, or really down, or really cranky and I don't consider that PPD. I have my times even now with that!

I called our doc with the other one mentioned, twice, and they totally blew me off. I just made sure to "watch myself" and after a few months it went away. I still feel guilty, and like a horrible mom for every having thought those things about my sweet baby, even though I didn't "mean" to think them.

I guess from my perspective, it's like taking any medication. Having a reason to take a drug doesn't mean I will take it. It means I will take it if I *have* to. So that's the philosophy I would apply to PPD if it were me. I was thinking of it as an option with the one where I had violent thoughts, because I thought that crossed a line. But the others, I never considered it. Hope this makes sense.

Hugs
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Talk to your doctor. You aren't alone. Many women go through this.
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
arayasunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The baby blues only last for a couple of weeks after having a baby. If its been months since the baby and you are still depressed then it is PPD. Talk to your doctor. Your not alone momma. Its normal and I've been there. Lots of hugs for you!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
arayasunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely View Post
I hear you sister! Take it from me, Effexor will change your life. You will be back to normal and enjoy your lo so much more. Please talk to your doctor.
Ooooo.... I HATED Effexor... gave me "brain electricity" so bad that I refused to take antidepressants ever again... even when I should have been taken some. If I needed an antidepressant again I would go for an SSRI. They usually dont prescribe a drug like Effexor until SSRIs have proven ineffective for the patient.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

first off, big warm hugs from a mama who's been there, done that. i did a ppd quiz online then contacted my ob and she started me on zoloft. i was on it for well over a yr & it helped. its also safe for bfing. here are some good links:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...tural+remedies

http://www.testandcalc.com/etc/tests/edin.asp

http://ppdhope.com/screening.asp

Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

I'm having the same thing and it sky rocketed after getting the mirena put in, so I took it out today after 1 week, I couldn't take it anymore, I had been crying for no reason and NOTHING made me feel better, I felt like there was nothing good in life...

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote