Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How important are LOs bday parties - to you?

I'm going to try to make this short We always seem to move not too long before my lo's bdays which makes it hard. My odd didn't have a "party" until she was 3 and then it was only at daycare. We're in a weird situation right now. But mdd turned 3 this month and ydd will be 2 next month so we were going to do a party in between for family (but only to appease my MIL). I didn't and don't feel guilty about my odd not having parties until she was older. I guess I just don't get a party when they don't care or remember and its just family anyways...and so close to the holidays, I think we've had enough! Just want to say that now that we're out of the military and getting settled (i.e. getting a house, them building friendships, etc) I think the future parties will a lot of fun and done "right". But for 1,2,3 I don't see the big deal

How important do you think they are? And what do you do for them?

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How important are LOs bday parties - to you?

we always have family over and i make a cake and on the actual day i take the kiddo alone out to lunch and to get pictures.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

oh yeah, i don't think the kiddos even realize it at 1 and 2- by three they are starting to get it. but i think it's more for the parents at those ages.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We don't do parties with friends until the kids turn 4. And even then, we give them the option and they do a big part of planning. Before 4, we do a party with family, but since being in Alaska, that party is simply the kids, me, and DH having cake and the birthday kid opens the presents that family sent and the couple we got.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I felt that the first birthday party was a big deal, because it celebrated the fact that DH and I managed to keep a helpless human being alive for a whole year, all by our inexperienced selves. After that, they became much less important to me.

For the first one, we did cake, punch, snacks, decorations and invited the whole neighborhood (much of which is DH's extended family).

Now we just invite close family and have a cake. And balloons, because DD seems to love them far more than any toy she's ever gotten.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
kleiwe
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD's first birthday is coming up in a month. DH and I have talked about it and don't want to do a big party. We don't think it's a big deal at her age. She's not going to know what's going on or remember it. We don't have much money to throw a big party right now. And she doesn't need any more presents or toys. Our friends with kids are already asking us when the party is and I am feeling some pressure to have one. But I think we will stick with our guts and not have one this year. Maybe next year...
kleiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
LilyGrace
Registered Users

We don't really do parties here. We do trips, we devote one day to the child, but not the huge parties others have.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
mbsr76
Registered Users

We had a big family party for his 1st bday, it was a "big deal" because that's just a special bday imo. It was definitely more special for us, he had no idea what was going on, but he loved the attention and seeing all the family that came and doted on him.

This year we're going to do something with his little buddies. I think he still won't really get it, but it will be a fun day for him to play with his friends and we'll enjoy making those memories with our friends. I think we'll combine family and friends and maybe have the party at the beach or something, a picnic, nothing huge or themed. Just a nice day with friends.

Next year I do want to do something special because I think he'll finally be old enough to get it then. But I just want it to be something fun for him, again nothing huge or overly themed. I also really like the idea of taking the birthday kid out by themselves and spending some quality time with them, maybe a special lunch or dinner or something like that.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

We never did big parties at those ages but we had family and all over for dinner, cake, and icecream!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh and I aren't into BIG parties, e.g. pony rides, circus stuff, etc.

Our dd just had her 1st bday and we just had family over for snacks and cake (dd had a peanut butter covered banana ).

When our kids get older we'll keep it low key. I'm not saying we won't make it special, b/c we will and we're very much into making traditions like I cook everyone's fave dinner on their birthday, their fave cake, etc. My fave bday when I was a kid was a bike parade. My mom put it together and had my gfs come over and bring their bikes. My mom bought all kinds of 'prettys' to decorate our bikes and then we all rode down the street and thought it was soooo cool. It probably cost my mom like $30 for the whole thing. Then we came back and ate pizza and cake. I remember it being so much fun...not excessive in the least
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote