Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

Re: question for shield users

I just want to post this in case anyone else has this problem. I went to the lactation consultant at the hospital and I guess baby had a growth spurt and had changed his latch trying to get more milk. He was pulling too narrow and just grabbing the nipple. She showed me to move my c hold from the side to being like a u hold under the breast and then if I can't get him to latch with wide mouth after he's latched I tug down on his chin. I felt instant relief! And it didn't pull my nipple out the drink holes this time. Plus she gave me some cooling gel pads. Recommended expressing some milk and drying with a hair dryer, then lanolin. She also thinks that it's better to wait a few more weeks before trying to wean the shield, if I'm wanting to wean.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ah your last post makes sense. wanted to say I PM'd you.

you can cut the sheild tips off as this is how you would wean the baby off.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
I just want to post this in case anyone else has this problem. I went to the lactation consultant at the hospital and I guess baby had a growth spurt and had changed his latch trying to get more milk. He was pulling too narrow and just grabbing the nipple. She showed me to move my c hold from the side to being like a u hold under the breast and then if I can't get him to latch with wide mouth after he's latched I tug down on his chin. I felt instant relief! And it didn't pull my nipple out the drink holes this time. Plus she gave me some cooling gel pads. Recommended expressing some milk and drying with a hair dryer, then lanolin. She also thinks that it's better to wait a few more weeks before trying to wean the shield, if I'm wanting to wean.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you've got some great local help!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote