Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
_Kristine
Registered Users

Re: Would you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
For me, alot of these depend.

Pool - Right now here any pools are taken down so it wouldn't be an issue. Even if they were up, if the person in charge is outside with the kid it wouldn't bother me if the pool wasn't gated. At 2 my kids didn't leave the house without me knowing they were leaving the house. Same if they were at someone else's house, they knew not to leave. If I had a child who was an excape artist, THEN I would have an issue with an ungated pool.

Dog - is the dog going to be around the child? Is your mom unwilling to put the dog outside, in a kennel, in a separate room while your child is there?

Construction IN the house? Depends where it is & what they're doing. Ie, A basement reno, wouldn't bother me.

Breakables - As long as your mom knew that if she did not put them away she was risking having something broken and that you would not replace it, then it wouldn't bother me. It isn't my stuff & if she doesn't want them broken she needs to either put them away or make sure the child doesn't grab them.

Wrought iron stairs - wouldn't bother me either.

Fireplace, are the spikey things up or out? Either could be dangerous, but wouldn't keep me from letting my child over there.

Sculputres - inside or out? Can they be pulled or are they very secure? If they're secure I wouldn't have a problem with them. If they're wobbly, then I would.

the glass & crystal go into the breakable category for me.

If your mom would be with your child at all times(in the same room), except naps, then I wouldn't have an issue with any of them. If she is one who'd let your child wander the entire house without wondering where she was then I'd be cautious.

I understand you're being cautious, BUT I can see your mom's point too. If you want her to babysit, part of it is going to have to be on her terms. She is having construction done & an electrician was coming. She HAD to be at home for that. I wouldn't have cancelled my other child's appt either becuase of it.

Yes to all of these.

We actually have a pool that isn't completely gated, and our son is almost 2. He can't get past any of our deadbolts on the inside, and he's always supervised when outside, so it's a moot point for us right now. We ARE going to finish gating the pool this spring, and put alarms on the doors. Don't see it as a major issue right now, though.

My husband and I are really "go with the flow" kind of people. I can see your side, but can't understand it.

Advertisement

_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
mbsr76
Registered Users

If it were MY mom, yeah, I probably would let her watch my son around all that stuff. Because I know how very, very careful she is and I know that she follows my rules exactly. If it were my MIL, heck no. She doesn't pay attention to my toddler and also will not follow any of our rules. So it would depend on who was watching him. Even with my mom I would probably only do it in an emergency though, it just makes me nervous for him to be around dangerous things, so why chance it if it's not necessary.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
purple~princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kristine View Post
Yes to all of these.

We actually have a pool that isn't completely gated, and our son is almost 2. He can't get past any of our deadbolts on the inside, and he's always supervised when outside, so it's a moot point for us right now. We ARE going to finish gating the pool this spring, and put alarms on the doors. Don't see it as a major issue right now, though.

My husband and I are really "go with the flow" kind of people. I can see your side, but can't understand it.
Well, that makes no sense. OP never said if her mom's locks would be locked, or even if her child would be supervised outside. If someone came to your house to watch your child, you'd make sure they knew to keep the door locked so your child wouldn't wander out and drown, right? It absolutely does happen, all the time, I'm not just being dramatic. Obviously if you're planning on getting alarms and gating the pool, you know that. So you can see why the OP is worried, no?

To the OP, you can never be too careful, mama. Go with your gut.
ISO: NIP new color BumGenius OS
purple~princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
lookatreestar
Registered Users

um no. living in az, we hear of so many drowning deaths. it just isn't worth it IMO, even when you have a pool fence.

also the dog thing, not unless you personally know the dog and how they are with kids. (also how your child is with animals).

the other stuff breakables, fireplace, stairs etc, are scary but they could be okay/avoided as long as they are supervised at all times!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no i wouldn't.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
_Kristine
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple~princess View Post
Well, that makes no sense. OP never said if her mom's locks would be locked, or even if her child would be supervised outside. If someone came to your house to watch your child, you'd make sure they knew to keep the door locked so your child wouldn't wander out and drown, right? It absolutely does happen, all the time, I'm not just being dramatic. Obviously if you're planning on getting alarms and gating the pool, you know that. So you can see why the OP is worried, no?

To the OP, you can never be too careful, mama. Go with your gut.
Our pool is currently 3' of ice, so drowning would be an impossibility. To get to the pool, one has to wade through 2' of snow on the decking once the doors are unlocked and the deadbolts are disengaged.

The OP had very vague statements describing her mother's house. From what she described, I didn't see anything that would cause me to scream "Heck no you're not watching my child!!"
_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kristine View Post
Our pool is currently 3' of ice, so drowning would be an impossibility. To get to the pool, one has to wade through 2' of snow on the decking once the doors are unlocked and the deadbolts are disengaged.

The OP had very vague statements describing her mother's house. From what she described, I didn't see anything that would cause me to scream "Heck no you're not watching my child!!"
My concern about the pool is that they have construction in the kitchen which leads to the backyard. there are guys going in and out. my mom always gripes that they let the dog out. If they let the dog out.. my dd can get out too. The pool has a cover on it that gives an illusion that you can walk on it.
At a family gathering my DS fell in the jacuzzi trying to walk on the cover. My dh was literally two steps behind him and caught him before he went completely under. My family was sitting out by the pool and they thought it was funny.
I have no issues with my oldest dd going over she is 12. Even then there have been things they have done that annoy me.. but none that could seriously harm her, so I basicly leave it to not saying anything unless there is potential danger. My dd has come home from sleeping over once with asthma. My mom has a cat that she says is an outdoor cat. my DD is allergic. the cat was in the bedroom my dd slept in. also, she used a down comforter on he bed after I told her she could not have down. My parents have always had the "children must be seen and not heard" mentality. I think they still see me as a child at 37. So.. maybe that is why they don't "hear" me! lol

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Bffmoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniebrookeh5 View Post
Hell to the NO! LOL
Things happen.

Bffmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

You are right, she is wrong, and you are NOT NOT NOT overreacting. My mother can't watch my daughter at her home, either, because she only has paths through the waist-high piles of fabric and papers and boxes. She has breakables at Margo-level everywhere that she refuses to move, sharp things just laying around, and general mayhem and danger around every turn.

It sucks, but what can I do? My daughter's safety is MUCH more important than my mother's feelings. Sorry! Good luck, mama. Stay strong! YOU are right!

AND my mom did the EXACT same thing with the flash and camera at the hospital, and we almost came to blows over it. we did come to minor blows the first day I was home from the hospital and she would not leave me alone for even a second to care for my child. Ugh. I feel your pain ... really!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Last edited by Rosella; 01-31-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
You are right, she is wrong, and you are NOT NOT NOT overreacting. My mother can't watch my daughter at her home, either, because she only has paths through the waist-high piles of fabric and papers and boxes. She has breakables at Margo-level everywhere that she refuses to move, sharp things just laying around, and general mayhem and danger around every turn.

It sucks, but what can I do? My daughter's safety is MUCH more important than my mother's feelings. Sorry! Good luck, mama. Stay strong! YOU are right!

AND my mom did the EXACT same thing with the flash and camera at the hospital, and we almost came to blows over it. we did come to minor blows the first day I was home from the hospital and she would not leave me alone for even a second to care for my child. Ugh. I feel your pain ... really!
Exactly! that is what I told her. I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this way.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote