Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Engorgement and bloody.... can i cry now?

DS was a nursing champ--and then I got lazy one night (or he did) and now I am BLOODY and sore on BOTH breasts... and my milk came in a few days ago. I started to use a sheild again during nursing--but I need to find a bigger one... and today I'm wearing breast shells to try and give the girls a little air (). I'm using lanolin up to wazoo... and just did some warm compresses to relieve some of the pressure.

Is there ANYTHING else I could try to get healed up a little faster? So far, DS being so tiny only nurses on one side per session--so I do have a break for one side.. but then I feel so full. I need a better bra, I think!

So.. this is just my little whine session. I'm totally committed to nursing exclusively.. but oh MAN!.. It's kickin' my rear right now!

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Engorgement and bloody.... can i cry now?

Awwww, Mama!!! I've soooo been there and it's really rough. I would just try to work through it the best I could and really re-establish those good nursing habits. I know that when mine were newborns, I would nurse them laying down in bed and I always regretted that until they were a couple of weeks older. lol I don't really have any *real* advice but plenty of thoughts, prayers and 'heal up, boobies' vibes!!! XOXO
MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ouchy can you block feed on one side while the other side gets a break? try holding a bottle/container on the other side to catch the letdown. HTH

eta, I see you are doing that hang in there!

Last edited by daisy0306; 02-01-2009 at 09:40 AM.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah.. recovering from a csection we only nurse laying down. It works for us.. And we're totally doing block feeding.. I forgot about using a little bottle to catch the other side's let down. I went through my cloth nursing pads like a maniac last night because of it. Good grief.. it's only been 6 months since DS#1 weaned.. but I've forgotten so much about the beginning!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Give the shells a couple days to work. I had to use them for 2 days last week and the LC said to skip the lanolin all together during that time,to make sure they get aired out
on the lazy nurser,Leah is lazy too and it's making me crazy
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearingTaci View Post
Give the shells a couple days to work. I had to use them for 2 days last week and the LC said to skip the lanolin all together during that time,to make sure they get aired out
on the lazy nurser,Leah is lazy too and it's making me crazy
ooh. Good to know about leaving lanolin off! Using the shells AND a sheild during nursing seems to already be helping. Last night was torture with nursing pads sticking and reopening wounds (ew. TMI).

I really REALLY appreciate the advice!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
tristens1mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama! I'm pretty sure we've all been there at some point. Just keep your head up, keep up your awesomely positive attitude! It will get better eventually! Also let them air dry as much as possible & the leftover bm on them will also aide in healing them faster.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
kitzmarj
Registered Users

My Mood:

i agree, let them have air, and put bm on them. Also cabbage leaves im your bra really help w/ engorgement...I wore them for a week or so in the beginning. good luck mama!
kitzmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Be careful with block feeding (and cabbage leaves) as those are both weaning techniques.

My dd was also a one sided nurser well actually both of them are. It's nice for the most part. I'd def work on giving them air and trying not to let things touch them. I'm sorry momma, it does get better though (like you don't already know. LOL) ((hugs))
Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I so feel your pain and I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I had this happen with DS when I was a little lazy about his latch at the beginning. The lactation consultant suggested that I put some leftover BM on me nipples after nursing, let them air out and sit in the sun- that is what really helped me. Mine seemed to clear up after a day or so. HTH and GL.

BTW, I have always wanted to tell you that I grew up in Lynchburg and used to drive thru Beuna Vista on my way back and forth to college and camp (had to get to 81) and I LOVE driving the windey mountain roads in between. Just thought I would share that. Not to mention, I love that BV is still a nice, quiet little town! Have a good night.