Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
asailorswife
Registered Users

Shooting Pain?

DD is 6 months now, and we've not had any issues with breastfeeding until now. A couple of days ago, while she was nursing (she'd been for about 10 minutes), I suddenly had a shooting pain that felt like it was towards the outer side of my breast. It almost feels like it goes from the nipple all the way to the back. I pulled her off, and it stopped. It then came back like stabbing pains later on while we were out shopping. (just random, I wasn't nursing at the time). It hasn't happened while she's nursed again, but it does happen several times a day otherwise. I know this isn't normal, so I'm coming to more experienced Mamas!! Anyone have any advice on what it could be or what I can do?

TIA!!

Sarah

Advertisement

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Dorothy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shooting Pain?

That's what my milk letting down feels like this time around. Could be that. When she starts feeding on one side, my milk lets down on the other. Or if I hold her after it's been a while since the last feeding, BOTH breasts get shooting pains... just like that. From the nipple around the outside, sometimes all the way to my armpits. OUCH!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like thrush to me. I would start treating now, because when it gets out of control it is hard to get rid of. I would check your baby's mouth to see if she has it. Although, it is possible for you to have and not her. I have it right now and I am currently taking diflucan, probiotics, GSE, and have severely restricted carbs and sugar.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
asailorswife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothy'smom
That's what my milk letting down feels like this time around. Could be that. When she starts feeding on one side, my milk lets down on the other. Or if I hold her after it's been a while since the last feeding, BOTH breasts get shooting pains... just like that. From the nipple around the outside, sometimes all the way to my armpits. OUCH!
What about only getting it on one side? I'm hoping it's just let down.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysahm View Post
That sounds like thrush to me. I would start treating now, because when it gets out of control it is hard to get rid of. I would check your baby's mouth to see if she has it. Although, it is possible for you to have and not her. I have it right now and I am currently taking diflucan, probiotics, GSE, and have severely restricted carbs and sugar.
Ok.. So I just looked up thrush, and the only symptom I have of it is the shooting pain.. Do I see my doctor AND DD's ped? I checked DD's mouth and she has nothing of it, but she has been pretty fussy for the past couple of days.. However, her drooling also went up tenfold, so she's probably teething.

Thanks ladies!! Whatever's happening - it hurts! LOL
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asailorswife View Post
What about only getting it on one side? I'm hoping it's just let down.. lol

Ok.. So I just looked up thrush, and the only symptom I have of it is the shooting pain.. Do I see my doctor AND DD's ped? I checked DD's mouth and she has nothing of it, but she has been pretty fussy for the past couple of days.. However, her drooling also went up tenfold, so she's probably teething.

Thanks ladies!! Whatever's happening - it hurts! LOL
I saw an OB and they prescribed Nystatin cream which usually doesn't do much. It did help some with the pain, but I had already been using GSE, probiotics, and eating no sugar/starches. I just got in touch with my midwife and she prescribed diflucan for 2 weeks. I wasn't prescribed anything for DD, since she has no symptoms. I have been swabbing her mouth with GSE before feedings though. I'm wondering if she should be on meds. I will probably call and ask her pedi in the morning.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
asailorswife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysahm View Post
I saw an OB and they prescribed Nystatin cream which usually doesn't do much. It did help some with the pain, but I had already been using GSE, probiotics, and eating no sugar/starches. I just got in touch with my midwife and she prescribed diflucan for 2 weeks. I wasn't prescribed anything for DD, since she has no symptoms. I have been swabbing her mouth with GSE before feedings though. I'm wondering if she should be on meds. I will probably call and ask her pedi in the morning.
Thanks Melissa!! I guess I'll be calling my OB in the morning to see if he can see me this week about it! I really hope that it's something we can quickly fix though - I haven't really had any of the pains today, but man, yesterday and Friday STUNK!! LOL
Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
racheljoy
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you think it's thrush I would just pick up some Gingen Violet. It stains but it works every time. Check out Dr Newman's website for protocol about Gengen Violet......
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/6pdf.pdf
racheljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds EXACTLY like what happen when I got Thrush! If you call your Pedi they can call in a script for your LO and you need to put a anti-fungal(like jock itch cream) on your nipples after every feeding and make sure you wash them off afterwards.

The only symtopm I ever got was the shooting pains Max never had any white patches in his mouth or anything. He did do the "clicking" thing with his mouth

There is a natural product you can get from Whole Foods but honestly the Nystain sp? they prescribed works great and DOESNT stain everything like the natural viloent
Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheljoy View Post
If you think it's thrush I would just pick up some Gingen Violet. It stains but it works every time. Check out Dr Newman's website for protocol about Gengen Violet......
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/6pdf.pdf
its called gentian violet!!

and this is a good link to using it and how

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm

Last edited by chloecat; 02-02-2009 at 06:45 AM.
chloecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe the babys latch is getting lazy because of teething? I too get shooting pains when the baby is being lazy and latched on wierd.

With genetian violet it can cause burning also so just be careful! Make SURE it's thrush before you start any treatment.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote