Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Car sick toddler???

Any ideas on how to help my 17mo. She gets car sick on almost any trip longer than about 15 minutes. She is still rear facing (though we tried forward facing and it actually made it worse... at least it shut everyone up about ERFing my DD... but I digress). My Dr of course said "well you can give her benadryl on long trips..." Um no I am not going to drug my kid every time we have to run errands... any ideas???

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
donniesleo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car sick toddler???

I KWYM! My DD#2 also gets car sick - even on short trips. She is about to turn 8, but she has been like this since she was a toddler. I noticed that heat seems to make it worse - so summer is always bad & in the winter I usually have her take off her coat so she doesn't get to warm and not let the car get to warm inside. You can try the magnetic bracelets, you should be able to find at most stores. They also make nondrowsy childs dramimine (more anti-emetic so you won't get the Benadryl effects). Crackers and SIPS of vernors helped sometimes. I also noticed it seemed worse w/ my DD if she was by a window (looking out). She does better in the back middle of our van. So my try to block the windows a bit. The best thing is just always be prepared. I have freezer bags, (so I can zip close and get rid of easily) wipes, extra clothes at all times. Hopefully it will get better the older your LO gets as it has for us, but it is hard getting through in the mean time. GL
Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes going in the middle of the car can help.

My middle dd used to get carsick. It started after we turned her forward facing. Her limit was 30 minutes, in the town we live in it takes 10 minutes to get anywhere so it was only an issue here once when we were testdriving a vehicle & she threw up in it. apparently it happens alot.

Since it never happened here except that one time it was only an issue on trips out of the city. We would not give her any dairy and would give her a light meal before we left. then we'd give her gravol, not ideal but these trips out of town when it'd happen were 3-6 hours long & like i said her limit was 30minutes.

when she was between 3 & 4 she no longer got carsick.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Carrie - Glad to hear your DD grew out of it! I hope mine does.

She is in the middle and rear facing. The only time she has gotten sick rear facing was right after a "big" breakfast (yogurt, cereal fruit and milk) so I will steer clear of that before "long" trips... unfortunately where I live I can't avoid them. It is 10-15 minutes minimum to get ANYWHERE from my house. Even going to my OB is about 40 minutes...

We will make sure she keeps her jacket off in the car and maybe look into some of the other medications if we can't find other ways to control it. I will probably have no choice on trips out of town (my family is 5 hours away and DH's is 5.5 hours...). She also seems to do better if someone is sitting with her distracting her, so maybe we will have to go that route whenever possible...

I am going to put a towel down on the seat so easy clean up and probably keep an extra car seat cover and straps in the trunk (we have 3 car seats). I always have an extra outfit in the diaper bag, but maybe I will keep and extra in the trunk as well.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took away ds books (reading and coloring), moved him to the middle, and only gave him toys that dont require "concentration" (ex, rattle, stacking cups, etc) that seemed to help. I also tried flattened CAFFIENE FREE coke. yes, bad on the sugar content, but it settled his belly and he didnt barf on our latest trip (2 hrs)
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
redone5683
Banned

Sorry to chime in here but I have been 'car sick' my whole life... rear facing made it MUCH worse for me. Nothing makes it better other than meds and sleeping. Elevations make it MUCH worse for me, I'm so thankful I live in a flat state like Florida!! Anytime I'm in a car longer than 30 minutes I have issues and I always have to be up front otherwise I'm screwed. I have seen every md and tried all sorts of stuff, and nothing has fixed it...maybe one day...
I can't fly, get on a boat, or anything fun either!!!
redone5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone5683 View Post
Sorry to chime in here but I have been 'car sick' my whole life... rear facing made it MUCH worse for me. Nothing makes it better other than meds and sleeping. Elevations make it MUCH worse for me, I'm so thankful I live in a flat state like Florida!! Anytime I'm in a car longer than 30 minutes I have issues and I always have to be up front otherwise I'm screwed. I have seen every md and tried all sorts of stuff, and nothing has fixed it...maybe one day...
I can't fly, get on a boat, or anything fun either!!!
Don't be sorry! I have never had a problem with motion sickness, so this is all new to me. I have to find what works for my DD and any and all opinions are welcome!

I am sorry yours is so severe. My sister has always had trouble with motion sickeness and can't read, etc in the car..
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is going to sound strange, but hang with me for a second...

for car sickness, one cure (although this is not scientifically tested) is to put newspaper under the seat of the sickie. If you are going to put a towel down, put a newspaper down first. It's something about absorbing the energy that actually causes the sickness? This is used for school bus trips where kids get sick often and works wonders.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote