Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD is only awake for 6hrs a day

My DH and I are really worried about DD. She is only awake for anywhere from 6 to 7 hours a day.

She's 15 months old.

This just can't be normal. We are worried about her development and how this could affect it later on since she is awake for so little.

She is on meds and it seems that off her meds she is awake for 8 hours and on she is awake for 6-7 so not a big difference there.

WDYT??

Any ideas why she is awake so little?? We are stumped.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DD is only awake for 6hrs a day

What is the medicine for? Does she have health problems? Is this normal (for her) or did the long sleep time just start? Is she growing?

If your dd was recently sick, she may be sleeping to get better. If it just started she may be hitting a growth spurt and need more sleep right now. My dd is 14m and she sleeps about 13 hours a day including naps. I believe that anywhere from 12-16 hours is considered "normal". If she is growing and happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are worried or your dd isn't gaining weight, I'd suggest contacting your ped, in fact if you're worried contacting your ped may give you peace of mind even if nothing is wrong.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelFlores View Post
What is the medicine for? Does she have health problems? Is this normal (for her) or did the long sleep time just start? Is she growing?

If your dd was recently sick, she may be sleeping to get better. If it just started she may be hitting a growth spurt and need more sleep right now. My dd is 14m and she sleeps about 13 hours a day including naps. I believe that anywhere from 12-16 hours is considered "normal". If she is growing and happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are worried or your dd isn't gaining weight, I'd suggest contacting your ped, in fact if you're worried contacting your ped may give you peace of mind even if nothing is wrong.
She is on meds for her Epilepsy.

The long sleeping started at about 9 months or so. We think just before starting her first med.

When she was switchng meds recently she was totally off them and still slept 14-16 hours at night and 2 naps of 2 hours during the day.

The difference is 1 hours less sleep when she is on the meds so not much to make it med related.

She seems to be growing fine it's just that she can only go 2-3 hours awake for a stretch before having to sleep.

We are going to bring it up to her doc at her next appointment and her ped neuro in a couple weeks.

We are wondering if she has a sleep disorder, FIL has sleep apnea, or maybe she could be having seizures in her sleep? but we are not sure but there must be something.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Epilepsy is scarey. So are anticonvusants. See what the neuro says. Do you get to spend lots of face to face time while she is awake?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a friend I've known since I was 3years old. Her mom swears that she slept the first 2 years of her life away. Growing up she was ALWAYS the first one to fall asleep at sumber parties and sleepovers (by a few hours). I'd sleep 8 hours and she would seem to need 10-12 hours of sleep. Even now, she NEEDS her sleep. But she is totally normal in all other respects VERY intelligent, even if she was late developmentally (not sure if she was) in stuff she has certainly caught up now. Just wanted to let you know that some people/ babies seem to need more sleep and that is what is normal for them, BUT I would definently talk to your docs about it.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

I agree, I think some people/babes just need more sleep. However, in your case it could be medically related. Dd has always been somewhat of a long sleeper. I was worried about her too when she was about 18 months. She was sleeping about that same amount around that age. She is almost 3 now and still sleeps probably 15-16 hours a day. I would just bring it up with the doc, but try not to worry about it, I am sure she is just a good sleeper.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i would def bring it up with the doctors but my middle ds was one of those babies that look 2-3 hr naps and slept 10-12hrs a night, somtimes longer! when she is up gets lots of playtime/outside time as you can.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Wow my 17 month old has never been a big sleeper so it seems like a lot to me. I wouldn't worry too much but like everyone else say I think it wouldn't hurt to bring it up to her doc. Hope she is okay, poor little thing, that is scary the epilespy that is.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

Talk to her docs to make sure it isn't somethng to worry about. In the meantime, enjoy the break it gives you. There aren't too many moms of newborns who can "sleep when the baby sleeps" when they have a toddler at home too. You may as well enjoy some of that luxury. DS1 was only 27 months when DS2 was born, and he'd given up napping altogether. Drove me crazy!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

I read this post, and didn't respond bc I wasn't sure what/if anything to say. Then, I added up how much DD is up during the day - and it's about 9 hours. She goes down for bed around 8:30; wakes around 7:30-8; goes down for a nap around 1:30 and then wakes around 4:-4:30. As other ppl have said maybe she just requires more sleep. All babies are different . I would deffinately bring it up to her pedi. HTH