Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #31
ProudSpark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Else Have This "Problem"?

When My DD was a little younger people at the grocery store and such have called her a HE but she was wearing a blue dress or something yellow. Its usually old ladies that cant get the gender right... you ever notice that?

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #32
ltelly00
Registered Users

yep! BTDT!! Doesn't matter if it's pink, dresses, flowers or what. The only way it stopped for us is when I put DD's hair up in a ponytail. Until you get to that point, good lucK! I'd suggest clothing that says she's a girl, but I'm sure that wouldn't help either!
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #33
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my daughter in a pink snowsuit with hood on and someone said "he". That is really just stupidity on their part.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #34
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alex has long hair and a cute face. I have him in overalls and blues or greens, very boyish. I get the same thing. How old is she?? I say, " Oh, he's a boy. He's 11 months old."
Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #35
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie
My identical twin girls would wear pink dresses to the mall, and people would constantly rush up and ask me, "Are they twins?" "Which one is the boy and which one is hte girl?" Believe me, if I had a dollar every time I got asked those 2 questions, I would be retired and financially independent right now. (Actually, I would probalby be BROKE! from buying adorable CLOTH DIAPERS!)

My dh invented so many stupid answers . . . we got a lot of fun out of people. One time he gasps, looks down at the stroller, and says, "There are TWO of them? Honey, where did we get TWO of them? Oh, great!" This poor little old lady was so confused . . . He also used to tell everyone that one was 3 years older. (They are IDENTICAL in size and appearance!) Very funny.

If you can't change 'em, laugh at 'em! That's what I always say . . .

Katie
That is TOO funny. MIL is a twin and her Mom was asked that all the time "Are they twins?" and she would say "No, they have different fathers" LMBO!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #36
MamaStace
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSpark
When My DD was a little younger people at the grocery store and such have called her a HE but she was wearing a blue dress or something yellow. Its usually old ladies that cant get the gender right... you ever notice that?
I read somewhere that pink and blue used to be switched pertaining to gender. I just did some research, and here's what I Found (perhaps this is why old people think the way they do??????) I thought it was interesting, anyways!!

http://histclo.com/gender/color.html

At one point pink was considered more of a boy's color, as a watered-down red, which is a fierce color) and blue was morefor girls. The associate of pink with bold, dramatic red clearly affected its use for boys. An American newspaper in 1914 advised mothers, "If you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." [The Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914.] A woman's magazine in 1918 informed mothers, "There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is pertier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918] This undoubteldy strikes modern readers as very surprising indeed. Some sources suggest it was not until the 1940s that the modern gender associations with color became universally accepted. . . .

A HBC reader tells us, "My Grandmother told me of time when Red dresses were a boys color and girls wore blue dresses girls. My whole life the boys' color was and still is blue and girls wear pink. If this change took place fast than it would be safe to say boys were wearing red dress in the 19th century. The change must have taken place sometime in the early 20th century." [Steven Smith, Smith Kinology]

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #37
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Interesting!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #38
cuties02q
Registered Users
seller
seller

All the time with both kids doesn't matter what they are wearing, once a guy working at starbucks said oh he (about dd who was wearing a pink flowered dress) is so adorable and a co-worker said ummm that is a girl to which he replied well how was i supposed to know people put boys in dresses my mom did The whole place was laughing and he looked pretty embarresed
cuties02q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #39
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm with another poster - I'm not losing sleep over it or anything...but you sometimes wonder how people can be so dense.

It seems like people always screw it up when they couldn't be wearing clothes that are ANY MORE gender specific. At about 16 months, ds1 was confused for a girl when he was wearing blue pants, dark blue shoes, a blue shirt with trucks, trains, cars...???? I just slid a "he" into the conversation and she was very apologetic...but I just don't get it? Ds2 doesn't get confused for a girl nearly as much as ds1 did, but I do get that he's a "Pretty" boy...LOL...fil always says that he's the "purtiest baby" he's ever seen. Which, I totally appreciate but wish he wouldn't say in front of ds1!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #40
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a boy and dress him in boy clothes, and I get wow your daughters eye lashes are so long, how pretty. I say Thanks, HE gets them from HIS DAD than I hear oh wow, with those eyes and eye lashes hes pretty enough to be a girl, well thanks but hes still a BOY, but Im mean when ppl walk away too, I look at my son and say boy is she/he an idiot, they cant tell the difference between a boy or girl, and ds laughs
LuAnn