Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
mommymell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Swaddlebees shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato2beauties
Actually, my post had nothing to do with Nicole. I was responding to an earlier post about a reply on shipping costs. I appreciate bargain hunting, Lord knows I clip enough coupons to fully appreciate a good deal I was merely commenting on the comparison between a grocery store and a WAHM store.

Not your post mammma. No worries.

Advertisement

mommymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Mamato2beauties
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymell
Not your post mammma. No worries.

Cool

LOL- giggling because I did call my local Kohls to see if they would honor my store coupon and the price on a clearance item so I could get a toddler swimsuit for $.75

No deal! Dangit.....

Loving the busy life
Mamato2beauties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
jodi5
Registered Users

I have been struggling with this shipping issue when I try to sell anything since it costs from Canada $12 to pretty much ship anything since the restrictions for letter mail won't let you put anything except maybe a cover in it. I finally decided to sell on ebay and put $5 for shipping and eat the rest. It is tough if you are only going to be shipping one item though.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #14
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: shipping

I wanted to mention that I just bought my first BG diaper from Stephanie at www.abbyslane.com. She offers free shipping on all US orders. She sells many brands of diapers.

I agree with you. High shipping charges are enough to make me look for another seller.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
beepsmnms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, my pennies worth! Steph you did a great job of explaining all that, I could never have put it quite so eloquently! so Thanks! I'm a WAHM and I don't jack up the shipping prices and very few other WAHM's who sew diapers and accessories that I've visited jack theirs up either. You also have to remember whe dont just SEW to make this a WAHM business for us, although sewing keeps us busy enough, we have time spent maintaining websites, advertising, sometimes hours with a customer on a custom order to help them pick fabrics, etc. Most of us WAHM's LOVE Our jobs and wouldn't do want to do anything to make a potential customer or actual customer unhappy. If someone felt my shipping was too high I would hope they would contact me regarding an alternative shipping method. I don't use flat rate shipping I go by actual weight and my shopping cart actually lets me put the weight in the field so it knows exactly what shipping to charge when the item sells but remember we HAVE to weigh it with the envelope or box that its shipped in or the weight would be incorrect and would come to the customer with postage due.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom
When I go to the grocery store, I don't have to pay for the bags my groceries are packed into....
OOO OOO I DO!!!

Our grocery store charges 5 cents per bag, or you can use their crappy boxes that I swear they just toss to the front of the store and 90% break on contact! lol

Totally OT though, and I agree. I don't charge extra for the boxes, tape and packing I buy or the ink for my printer. I don't even charge PP fees (THAT is my rant! )....
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
elsie
Registered Users

I guess it really depends on how heavy the diapers are. I've noticed that it costs more to ship wool shorts than fleece shorts by about $.60 since wool is heavier. I can imagine that 2 heavier diapers could cost about that much. I guess if it is more than you want to pay, then just goto WAHMs who include shipping in their prices.
elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #18
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

In Canada it can cost up to $10 to ship one diaper! I'm not kidding. I can't even send one diaper within the same province for $4.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
mihrimah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really understand the problem with shipping. If you buy online from almost anywhere, you're going to pay shipping. Why should WAHM's be any different? I mean, ok, you can go to Joanns and buy something for $4.00, but you buy it from their website and you're going to pay for the item plus shipping. It's a very rare place online that doesn't charge shipping. If shipping is included, to me that's just a bonus, but when shopping online, I do count shipping as part of the total cost.

And you do pay for shipping and stuff at the grocery store, it's just included in the price. So, is that the problem, and what people would like to see, the shipping included in the price? If that's the case, then WAHMs are really going to have to bite it because if you include the shipping and add the $2.00 it takes to ship, then are people really going to buy there over a place that charges $2.00 less but then tacks it on as shipping?

I always try to charge actual shipping, and never charge for PP costs, which can be signifigant. I've seen some diapers out there that are awfully inexpensive and I doubt the mama makes her time up from the price, and then she's supposed to not add shipping onto it? I just don't get the concern, I guess.
ArtistryYarns on Indie Dyers Cooperative: A glorious yarn and fiber shop!
mihrimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
SunflowerMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihrimah
I don't really understand the problem with shipping. If you buy online from almost anywhere, you're going to pay shipping. Why should WAHM's be any different? I mean, ok, you can go to Joanns and buy something for $4.00, but you buy it from their website and you're going to pay for the item plus shipping. It's a very rare place online that doesn't charge shipping. If shipping is included, to me that's just a bonus, but when shopping online, I do count shipping as part of the total cost.

And you do pay for shipping and stuff at the grocery store, it's just included in the price. So, is that the problem, and what people would like to see, the shipping included in the price? If that's the case, then WAHMs are really going to have to bite it because if you include the shipping and add the $2.00 it takes to ship, then are people really going to buy there over a place that charges $2.00 less but then tacks it on as shipping?

I always try to charge actual shipping, and never charge for PP costs, which can be signifigant. I've seen some diapers out there that are awfully inexpensive and I doubt the mama makes her time up from the price, and then she's supposed to not add shipping onto it? I just don't get the concern, I guess.

Also, there is no such thing as "free shipping". It's built into the price. You can charge $20 for a diaper plus $2 shipping or you can charge $22 for a diaper with free shipping. Either way, the wahm is going to get paid for the shipping costs. It's the same way with any online store.