Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #21
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihrimah
I always try to charge actual shipping, and never charge for PP costs, which can be signifigant. I've seen some diapers out there that are awfully inexpensive and I doubt the mama makes her time up from the price, and then she's supposed to not add shipping onto it? I just don't get the concern, I guess.
I'm with you on this one, I always eat the fees for Paypal and that is how 99% of my customers pay. I have never once complained or asked for reimbursement. Even packing the item, printing, filing the paper work FOR the printing to send to the accountant quarterly, getting it all put together (tape and ink) and then driving it to the PO with gas prices the way they are, my shipping isn't out of line. I am irked a bit, to be honest, to see so many wanting hard working WAHM's do extra work and effort for free. I know I don't have that kind of time to just throw off to somebody I don't know, if you want something you are not going to get it for free. My time and efforts are worth more than that and I will not sell myself short, even for an extra $1 or 2.

My

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #22
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMommy

Also, there is no such thing as "free shipping". It's built into the price. You can charge $20 for a diaper plus $2 shipping or you can charge $22 for a diaper with free shipping. Either way, the wahm is going to get paid for the shipping costs. It's the same way with any online store.
You could do it that way but my accountant told me to NEVER bunch them together. It's totally seperate as it's NOT income.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #23
mommymell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh geez....I DO pay for good diapers. I DO feel you should charge whatever you want for it. If I love it enough I WILL buy it. I just don't like the whole get this bargain. So I think wow!! What a great deal. Then when shipping was included it was somewhat higher than other WAHMS. I mean the 2 diapers I could have bought could have easily been shipped for that price at priority cost, but priority was even more. I never said I wanted free shipping. Never once. sigh. I just hate when something looks like a great deal and doesn't turn out to be that way.
mommymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #24
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymell
I just hate when something looks like a great deal and doesn't turn out to be that way.
ITA! :::RANT::: Not specifically for dipes, but I have left an online store at the shopping cart page when the shipping is disclosed. I *hate* the sites that do it by a percentage of the purchase $ amount - for example, I buy an expensive necklace and the shipping is 12% of total price - DO NOT tell me the necklace that weighs less than an ounce or two deserves to have a shipping charge of more than $15!!! Another major shipping inflator is Victoria's Secret - $12.95 to ship a bra - give me a break!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #25
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Arrow Re: Swaddlebees shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom
~~~ Rant Warning! Rant Warning! Rant Warning! ~~~

When I go to the grocery store, I don't have to pay for the bags my groceries are packed into, nor am I expected to pay the store employee who helps me out to my car. Buying bags and paying the employee are costs associated with doing business. :
LOL! REALLY??? The some stores HERE charge you for bags and the whole going to the car thing too...lol...heck you gotta pay a quarter to use a cart!!!! (Of course you do get your quarter back IF you take your cart back in.) andthe bags are like $2 each....needless to say, we end up carrying all these individual items home b/c heck if I'm going to buy basic grocery bags...lol...
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #26
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Arrow Re: shipping

If you have a business and file taxes you can CLAIM the following things:

#1 MILEAGE -any driving you do regarding your business- driving to buy fabric or packing items, driving to and from the PO, etc...

#2 POSTAGE- whether included in the price or not. Whether sold as "free shipping" or not.---It doesnt matter.

#3 STORAGE- if you work out of your home you can deduct part of your mortgage, utility bill, internet fees, etc...

#4 Computer, Printer, anything you buy to use for your business...

OH AND OFF THE DIAPER TOPIC BUT----ANYONE can claim MILEAGE regarding ANYTHING MEDICAL... to and from the doctor, to and from the store to get medicine, etc
AND you can claim ANY $$ you pay toward ANY MEDICAL item----medicines, Co-pays, medical items, etc...

We get like $5000+ back each year after deductions...
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #27
margarita
Registered Users

This isn't the first time somebody's complained about my "shipping charges". So let me just explain why they're the way they are. First of all, I'm not trying to make huge profits out of shipping charges. I'd be starving by now if I relied on inflated shipping prices to support this business. My shopping cart is designed for wholesalers. If you purchase something like 6 or so diapers, the shipping charges aren't so bad and are pretty close to actual rates. But for 1 or 2, they may seem outrageous compared to what other wahms charge. Although I allow retailers to be able to order just 1 or 2 or 3 diapers to dropship to a customer, I obviously don't want to encourage it because it takes me just as much time to pack & ship 1 diaper as it is to ship 12 with all the administrative work that goes along with it. So it's not just a matter of covering shipping supplies. In line with that, the shipping charges are also meant to encourage customers to shop at my retailers' websites instead of mine, because if my retailers aren't making money, then I won't be around too long. Unfortunately there's no way I can set shipping charges to differentiate between retail or wholesale orders. I hope this clears up a lot of things and not make us look like we're out to take advantage of the consumer.
margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #28
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally think it's good to know all the info up front!! The price of the item & all shipping costs, etc!! I'm a cheap skate, so when I'm shopping online, I check out to see the shipping charges & figure them into the cost, before deciding if this is the time/place to buy!

I really like ppd for this reason, (granted it doesn't take into account shipping to some locations might be a litle more/less) the price is there for everyone to see.
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #29
margarita
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4
If you have a business and file taxes you can CLAIM the following things:

#1 MILEAGE -any driving you do regarding your business- driving to buy fabric or packing items, driving to and from the PO, etc...

#2 POSTAGE- whether included in the price or not. Whether sold as "free shipping" or not.---It doesnt matter.

#3 STORAGE- if you work out of your home you can deduct part of your mortgage, utility bill, internet fees, etc...

#4 Computer, Printer, anything you buy to use for your business...
Yes, it's true that you can claim all these deductions, but only if one has profits to deduct them against. So tax deductions are useless if you have nothing to deduct them from since most of the tax one pays is based on the business' profits. And most WAHM's can't wait until the next spring to recoup their costs.

Last edited by margarita; 05-18-2006 at 08:40 PM.
margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #30
rlharp5375
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its funny I came across shipping posts today.. I have been working for two days trying to get my shipping calculator thru USPS to work right for exact shipping. I am so frustrated I could scream!!! No matter what I do it seems whacked out. So now I just pleaded with a webdesigner to please help me figure out the problem. Well lets see if any of you know the answer.

Does first class sometimes come out to be more than priority or parcel? For some reason my calculator is listing it a couple $$ higher. And even priority and parcel sound too high according to some of your posts. I thought it should be lower. So now I am just going to have to adjust it for each customer until I can get it fixed. I'm having a horrible day.

Rachel