Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Twins at 35 weeks.......any problems?

After numerous contractions without dilation, my doctor is going to do a c-section next friday 2/13 to delivery our twins. I had steroid shots back in late December when the contractions first started. They are going to do an amino on both babies on that Thursday 2/12 to check their lungs. I just wanted to hear from any other mom's out there that delivered at 35 weeks with twins, if they had any problems with their babies and/or length of time if any in the NICU. Thanks~

More Info, sorry on the lack of details. I'm currently at 3 cm and 50% effaced and a -1. Contractions are 2-3 minutes apart.

Advertisement

Last edited by adamuch; 02-02-2009 at 02:52 PM.
adamuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
rkirkeby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Twins at 35 weeks.......any problems?

My girls were delivered by c-section at 35 weeks...I did not have the steroid shot to speed their lung development & they spent 3 weeks in the NICU...they didn't have lung problems though....they had bradycardia and came home with heart rate/apnea monitors.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
amydiane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Why do they want to deliver early? Is it just because of the contractions?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins decided to be born at 35 and 1 day, my water broke w/ a huge gush and contraxs started a half hour later. I had recived the steroid shot, twice 1 week apart at 32 and 33 wekks b/c I was having contraxs. After hydration and food they stopped though. They required no special care. We went home 3 days later. I would not choose my babies birthday so early though. Many, many problems can happen. Are you only planning the c/s for the contraxs and why a c/s? I know how frustrating it can be to be contacting, but w/o dilation your babies and body is just not ready. Every day you cook your babies longer that is 2 days less in NICU.

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 02-02-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydiane View Post
Why do they want to deliver early? Is it just because of the contractions?
Yeah, I had contractions from 24wks till I delivered at 35. They were strong and sometimes frequent with more than 10 in an hour. I was put on procardia and told to wait it out as long as I could. I did. I was given the steriod shot at 32 wks or so due to high blood pressure, they thought they were going to have to take the babies.

Mine were 35wks. Born vaginal. Both came home with me 48 hours later. I'll tell you more later. One just woke up and is crying....

Okay, back....so my DD was 4lbs 7oz and DS was 6lbs 9oz (big difference we didn't expect and no explaination for). DD no NICU time and DS only had about 14 hours in the NICU. Both came home 48 hours later, but my DS had reflux induced apnea and stopped breathing several times, turning blue and all. He was admitted to the hospital for 24hrs when he was 4 days old and then went home on an apnea monitor which he was on for a few months with no episodes at all. It only happened while he was eating and we knew what to look for so were able to prevent from happening again. Both had a very hard time latching and I had to pump and give them bottles for the 1st 6 wks. BFing was very, very rough in the beginning and I was told by the LC that is very normal with 35wkers. I totally agree with the pp. Even though we didn't have any major problems and the babies didn't have to stay in the NICU, 35wks is really on the edge for having issues. Almost all of the other twin moms I know who's babies were born at 35wks stayed in the NICU for at least a few days and most were a week or two. I would never have opted to have them at 35wks. (not that you are) Even with my painful contrations that were coming stronger and stronger and more and more frequent, I would have kept them in if I could have. It was like I was early labor for weeks, months really since it last 11wks. Good luck!!! I with nothing but the best for you and your babies.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-02-2009 at 02:56 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Because I'm very small framed and my body isn't adjusting well this late in the pregnancy. It's starting to effect my bowels, stomach and kidneys.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

More Info, sorry on the lack of details. I'm currently at 3 cm and 50% effaced and a -1 station.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Yeah, I had contractions from 24wks till I delivered at 35. They were strong and sometimes frequent with more than 10 in an hour. I was put on procardia and told to wait it out as long as I could. I did. I was given the steriod shot at 32 wks or so due to high blood pressure, they thought they were going to have to take the babies.

Mine were 35wks. Born vaginal. Both came home with me 48 hours later. I'll tell you more later. One just woke up and is crying....

Okay, back....so my DD was 4lbs 7oz and DS was 6lbs 9oz (big difference we didn't expect and no explaination for). DD no NICU time and DS only had about 14 hours in the NICU. Both came home 48 hours later, but my DS had reflux induced apnea and stopped breathing several times, turning blue and all. He was admitted to the hospital for 24hrs when he was 4 days old and then went home on an apnea monitor which he was on for a few months with no episodes at all. It only happened while he was eating and we knew what to look for so were able to prevent from happening again. Both had a very hard time latching and I had to pump and give them bottles for the 1st 6 wks. BFing was very, very rough in the beginning and I was told by the LC that is very normal with 35wkers. I totally agree with the pp. Even though we didn't have any major problems and the babies didn't have to stay in the NICU, 35wks is really on the edge for having issues. Almost all of the other twin moms I know who's babies were born at 35wks stayed in the NICU for at least a few days and most were a week or two. I would never have opted to have them at 35wks. (not that you are) Even with my painful contrations that were coming stronger and stronger and more and more frequent, I would have kept them in if I could have. It was like I was early labor for weeks, months really since it last 11wks. Good luck!!! I with nothing but the best for you and your babies.
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirkeby View Post
My girls were delivered by c-section at 35 weeks...I did not have the steroid shot to speed their lung development & they spent 3 weeks in the NICU...they didn't have lung problems though....they had bradycardia and came home with heart rate/apnea monitors.
did your water break or why did you delivery at 35 weeks?