Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
speech problems/stuttering help ?

Just wanted some advice from anyone who may know something about this. i have an almost 4 year old who sometimes stutters. whenever he gets excited or is trying hard to say something, it is like he can't. he will say the something like this

"i wan, i wan, i wanna, i wanna go p-p-p, i wanna wanna go p-play"

now he doesn't do it when he is just talking back and forth but if he is nervous/stressed/excited he keeps repeating himself over and over and stuttering a bit on his letters. i am not sure if this is still in the normal speech behavior pattern for his age or if this is something that may need some work....

any advice or thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: speech problems/stuttering help ?

I have to say that I have known more than one preschooler who stutters for a short time around 4 years old. I think it is fairly normal for some kids. I remember my cousin's son stuttered for a while around that age but he always repeated the ends of words- "I like -ike -ike pie -ie -ie." It was kind of funny. Then her older daughter came along and around 4 she did the exact same thing!

It's almost like there is an explosion of language or thought or something and the two can't quite keep up with each other for a while. You know like he has so many exciting ideas and he's trying to get them out. But it just doesn't happen smoothly.

IDK I'm really no expert. Just my .
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My sister still stutters sometimes when she gets real excited and she's almost 30 yrs old. Her's stemmed, I think, from the hearing problems she had as a child due to ear infections and allergies. I don't know how things are done where you are, but I know here the public schools do a screening twice a year for kids who need speech therapy, including preschool age. Perhaps you could get a screening done through there if they do that in your area.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i've thought about calling for screening, but everyone keeps saying he is fine. but i dunno i would rather check and make sure, but at the same time i don't want him overloaded with services he doesn't need
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
summerhappy
Registered Users
seller

I have to agree it is pretty normal. My oldest went through that....she does have some overall developmental delays but her speech therapist just told us that was normal and to basically ignore it. As hard as it was to do that, we did and it just go away.
summerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
luvmyfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd give it a little more time, like a month or so. It sounds like it's probably a part of his speech development. Here in IL they have free screenings for developmental delays, maybe look into that where you live if it continues. When I had my youngest daughter almost a year ago, the day I came home form the hospital my 3 1/2 yr. old started to stutter. He had never stuttered before, that I could remember. By the time I brought it up to his Dr., she said to wait a couple weeks and let her know how he was. By then, he had stopped. I think it was the anxiety from the new baby. Maybe if you know what he's trying to say, coaching him through it slowly might help.
luvmyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know that this can be very difficult. But I agree with pp that you should give it about a month. Also, when he does stutter make sure to calm down the speech that you are exhibiting. Be quick to listen and slow to speak. My nephew (at 4) would stutter when he was excited or when he was trying to keep up with adult conversation patterns. He was and is very intelligent so I think his mind was quick enough but his mouth lagged behind. Watch that you don't make too big of a deal out of it right now so he doesn't get more anxious about speaking.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
angelikapisadika
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started a thread with my own stuttering concerns! Then I decided to check if others had already done it . Anyway, I am dealing with it, but at an earlier age (20 months). Very early talker, very late walker, just started stuttering words about 5 days ago. Kind of nervous, but waiting on it.
angelikapisadika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
Rollins4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is no harm in getting him screened. Our 4 yr old had severe speech delay and it was all done by the county,, screen and testing and placement! His speech and articulation has exploded!!

Obviously like others have posted, it could be perfectly natural and will resolve itself too!
Rollins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

If your child starts to have secondary features such as stemming, blinking, hitting self while stuttering, then I would definitely get him in. My son is five years old and stutters a lot. It takes him up to a minute or two to get out a sentence yet he is considered mild to moderate because he doesn't yet (hopefully never) have any of the secondary characteristics. He does receive speech/language therapy to work on his dysfluencies.

If you are worried about it, I would seek an evaluation. Speech/language therapy is always helpful no matter what. I am a strong advocate/
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote