Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
to you mamas of more than one who have had your babies...

i am getting increasingly irritable and short tempered with my two kids...and i feel like just laying down and going to sleep instead of playing with them or tending their needs...not all day long, but a few times throughout the day...and im wondering...is this a pregnancy thing? like i imagine it is...but i guess im just hoping that someone will say YES AND IT GOES AWAY WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR BABY!!! otherwise, im worried...sigh.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: to you mamas of more than one who have had your babies...

Yes it is a pregnancy thing, and sometimes it does go away. For me it has been a precurser to PPD. I had it bad with DS2, and then when I started to feel the irritability again I took care of it, saw a therapist, and did start taking an anti-depressant. This has worked for me. I know that most frown on anti-depressants while pregnant, but it was better than what I was with DS2...downright dangerous.

See if you can see a therapist that deals with PPD issues, and maybe a B complex would help? Otherwise wait and see what happens after your little bean comes...but I would play it safe and start trying to take care of things before the your DD gets here!

I want to add that having my boys was absolutely wonderful, and I love them more than anything, but my daughters birth was a very healing journey for me. Not sure exactly what it is about her, but she has done something to me that I never imagined anyone ever could. It isn't that I love her more than my boys, because I would lay my life down for all three, there is just something about her that has done something wonderful for me. Even my husband comments on it, which he is so clueless that it amazes me.

Hang in there!

Last edited by mommymilk; 02-04-2009 at 04:44 AM.
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

beck, I'm worried about this too - I'm hoping the hormones are just making me a little less patient, that and ds is at a challenging age (nearly 3) and is so "independent" and sassy, I feel like he doesn't hear a word I say and is naughty just to spite me
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

For me, it is a tired thing! Which of course means it happens frequently during pregnancy, and then after pregnancy when I am feeling sleep deprived with a newborn. I think you just get used to being tired after a while lol. And, being conscious of your irritability will help you to respond better to the kiddos. But, yes, I always feel guilty, especially in the first trimester, that I am just so tired I am crabby with the kids.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get the same way with my boys! It gives me hope that others are experiencing the same thing..hopefully it's just the pregnancy. It's been getting worse, though, since I'm now 8 months and because I'm short it looks and feels like I'm overdue! I don't know how I'm going to make it to the end with a 3 year old and a 1 year old, but I guess I'll just have too. I do completely understand now why in other countries the whole extended family and friends help when a woman gets pregnant...I don't have that support and it's sooo hard to try to do it on your own (DH is here of course, but I'm alone with the kids all day). Hang in there!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

it normally goes away for me by 4-6weeks pp
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thank you so much for your advice and commiseration, ladies...it really helps.

i have found that it helps for me to get the babe into the stroller and take him for a walk...if you can do that...im in southern california...its frickin 80 degrees here...lol.

but yeah...a change of scenery and some fresh air really help. now if i could just get my HUSBAND to help...then i think we'd be golden.

we can do this, girls.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have more than one and am pregnant again and I can tell you this is normal and you will regain your patience. Hang in there, be kind to yourself and realize that you will feel stronger.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you, mamas. I have no patience most days. I had PPD and a lot of anxiety after DD was born (and a long history of it) so I'm planning to start an antidepressant later in pregnancy in the hopes of preventing it from being as bad, or worse, this time around.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
jadekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've notice if I'm getting crabby with the kids that I need to lay down for a little while. I usually put a movie on and lay on the couch. That usually helps me to feel a little better.