Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
selmada
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Stroller suggestions please!

I'm also expecting twins in June and since I dont drive, the stroller will be my primary mode of transportation.
As a single parent, money is of course a huge issue. I looked at this from all sides. Originally, I was going to get the double snap and go for the first while and switch later. As you know, not many side-by-sides are good for infants. Then I worked that cost out and I wouldn't really be saving much (yes, I still need carseats because friends do drive).

I was almost 100% sold on the double mountain buggy urban. I even found a place with last years colors for 250 less than the current model and was about to put my money down. Then I checked out one more place that carried Valco baby so I could 'test drive' one. I was sold. It has all the manouverability of the mountain buggy, but so many more features included. The prices for the current model is the same as I found for last years mountain buggy. But the valco comes with a rain sheild, zip off diaper bags (small ones), a tire pump and the canopies are independent so both kids can have a preference. One of the moms in my twin group even used the front metal part when she had to stop suddenly where there was no where to sit and breastfeed.

Here are the features listed
http://valcobaby.com/products/stroll...pi1%5Buid%5D=4

And here is a great video showing you all the features in use.

The extra feature on the Valco is to be able to add another seat if your sitting a toddler or have another child later.

The Bob, Mountain Buggy and Valco all seem to hold their value in the second hand market. So you'd be able to sell yours later. Everything I've read about all three makes them worth it. For me, it really helped to go somewhere and test drive each of them myself (most places will have weights so you can test them with some realistic baby weight). Everyone will like something different.

Advertisement

selmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just stumbled upon the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double tonight and I think I have found the one I want!
http://www.babytrend.com/products_detail.php?CategoryID=0003.0002.0000.0000 &LampID=935

This is the one I want! I like the black, red and silver. Not a bad price. Amazon have them for a little over $160. That I can handle.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
cammiesue
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love our Mclaren Twin Techno - yes it is more expensive - but it is worth it. It fits into doorways, and handles great.

Also we never took our infant seats out of the car - when we first came home I couldn't take them out of the car with the seat because I had a c-section and wasn't able to lift anything other then the babies. Then once I recovered it was such a pain to get the seats out that we just didn't bother. It was soo much easier to just pull the boys out and snap them into the stroller - also it is great now because they can fall back asleep at the drop of a dime if they are disturbed while they are sleeping.

My boys came home at a little less then 5lbs and they were 20 inches long - they fit into the stroller right away - it reclines enough to accomidate them.
cammiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #24
selmada
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Sit and Stand would work for a family with kids of mixed ages, but not for infant twins. On their site it says "The Sit-N-Stand is the ideal stroller for families with an infant / baby and an older toddler". I'm not sure the mininum age for the back seat. "
It was a problem I found when I was looking at double strollers like this, they weren't meant for twins.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #25
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmada View Post
The Sit and Stand would work for a family with kids of mixed ages, but not for infant twins. On their site it says "The Sit-N-Stand is the ideal stroller for families with an infant / baby and an older toddler". I'm not sure the mininum age for the back seat. "
It was a problem I found when I was looking at double strollers like this, they weren't meant for twins.
Were you referring to the link I shared? The one I am looking at has 2 seats with the rear seat that can come off so there is a platform for older kids to use. I will have to go back and reread the info and see if I missed anything.

Ok, you are right. I missed that when checking out the stroller. Bummer that you can't have 2 infants/babies using the seats. Wonder what their thoughts were on that. Dang, just when I thought I found the right stroller for us, it won't work. I am tired of researching strollers.

Last edited by starbuckmom; 02-18-2009 at 09:49 AM.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
selmada
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are only looking for city use and dont mind front/back, there are some options out there for twins that are reasonable in price. I can go back over what I was researching.
For me, I have watched people with side by sides and and those with front to back and the front to back are a bit harder to manouver as the kids get older and I was looking for a stroller that would last for years and years. Plus we have lots of wonderful walking trails that front to back isnt practical for, its why I switched to the side-by-side in my search. I know that Graco makes one that would work for you (and one that wouldnt, but I cant remember which is which).
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmada View Post
For me, I have watched people with side by sides and and those with front to back and the front to back are a bit harder to manouver as the kids get older and I was looking for a stroller that would last for years and years.
This is exactly what I was thinking too. I do have a sit and stand and just don't like it! It feels so long and with my older kids in it, it is very hard to maneuver. Our money is so tight right now that I really need to make a smart decision. I think it's even more important with these twins coming since I really need a reliabe, safe, comfy way of getting them around. With one, you could sling or carry but not two...definitely need the double especially if I'm out by myself. Thanks for the info in your first post...I'll check that out. I was also looking at the Zooper Tango too. Have you looked at that one?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammiesue View Post
I love our Mclaren Twin Techno - yes it is more expensive - but it is worth it. It fits into doorways, and handles great.
This is good to hear..I've been looking at this one too. It's so hard to decide. Doesn't Mclaren make a similar,slighty more inexpensive model as well? Thanks for the replies mamas!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
cammiesue
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiMarie View Post
This is good to hear..I've been looking at this one too. It's so hard to decide. Doesn't Mclaren make a similar,slighty more inexpensive model as well? Thanks for the replies mamas!
Yeah the older version is the Twin Ralley - the newer version is the twin triumph. They are good they are lighter then the techno, but they do not work as well with newborns. We have one ralley that we bought for traveling - but when they were little it was difficult - they just were not as comfortable in it. Their legs were not supported, and they tended to slide down till their bottoms where barely on the seat - we never had that problem with the techno. (I use the strollers alot - we go on at least one walk a day - have since they came home from the hospital).
cammiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
lovemyzoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love my single and double contour stroller.
http://www.albeebaby.com/kocooptastin.html