Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
VBA2C...Told too small of pelvis to deliver vaginally. Need advice!!

Ok...I've been thinking and rethinking about attempting a VBA2C. The reason I had the first section was because my son's head was the size of a 10.5lb baby although he was only 8lb 2oz. I went through 22 hours of labor, dilated to 10 cms, and he just wasn't decending. I did have pitocin and an epidural during that labor. I was mostly on the hospital bed the whole time. My OB said that unless I have a very small baby (6lbish), I wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally because I have a very small/narrow pelvis. My second was a scheduled c-section because his head was big too even though he was 7lbs 14oz. Now I'm preggo with my third. I asked my OB if I could attempt a VBAC, he said that he would let me, but it going to send me to get an ultrasound in a few weeks. With the way I'm measuring, he doesn't think she's going to be a very small baby..more like my other ones. My question is: how do they know you have a small pelvis and can't birth an average size baby? Is it because of my first experience that he came to that conclusion? And could the pitocin, the epidural, or the fact that I was laying down the whole time I was in labor affect why he wasn't decending? Maybe he's right and I should just accept the fact I'll never deliver vaginally, but I just want someone else's opinion and their experience on this. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBA2C...Told too small of pelvis to deliver vaginally. Need advice!!

I'm just curious, do you know the measurments of your babies heads at birth?

I've never had any experience in this, but here is my opinion.
A very few % of women actually have too small of a pelvis, although this is now something quite a few women hear they have.

And I absolutely believe that pitocin, the epidural, and the fact that you were laying down the whole time probably affected why he didn't decend.

Think about the factor of gravity. How is babys head supposed to move down well if you were on your back? Body's may need a little bit of help, but not always the medical kind.

Honestly, you shouldn't just accept the fact you'll never deliver vaginally. How do you know that's true if you're never allowed to try?

If it was me, I'd skip the U/S, then they couldn't tell me the head was too big!
It just sounds like it could be a good cop-out for the Dr. "sure, I'll be the good guy and say you can try but then I'll say it's not medically possible."
Or refuse to schedule a c/s untill 42 weeks and show up to the hospital in active labor if possible.

I would read as much as you can about this, it sounds like you need more confidence in yourself and your body.
Good luck in whatever you decide!

Last edited by Layna; 02-04-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, being on your back is actually the worst position to birth in. In actually causes the area that need to open to CONTRACT! Or at least impede its ability to open to its fullest capacity. I'm not talking about your cervix, but the perinium. I don't have my resource in front of me, now, but, I'll come back and add it when I can. Additionally, the drugs introduced into your system may impact the baby's ability to fully participate in the birth process. Yes, your baby does have a physical role in this, too.

Good for you for seeking out the information on this issue for yourself.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1's head was 37cm..I don't know what that is in inches. I don't know what DS2's head size was, but he said his head was 75% in relation to his weight. DS1's head was 95%...if that gives a clue at all. I didn't go into labor at all with DS2 so I didn't even try to see if he'll fit.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

i also have a small pelvis mama, delivering vaginally is HARD for me, but i've done it twice now. when i was in labor with my first, the very first nurse who checked me told the the next shift of nurses in report, "oh that girl will never ever deliver vaginally, we're just playing along right now, but she'll end up in the OR for sure." it took me three hours to push him out but i did it, and my nurse told me how proud of me she was, especially considering that the night nurse staff totally gave up on me because my pelvis is "too small".

i can't tell you the number of people who i've heard say that they ended up with a c'section because the baby was too big. on most of those, i call a load of bull (i understand that sometimes this really is the case). our bodies are way smarter than modern medicine gives us credit for.

my advice would be to labor and deliver with absolutely no drugs, and your body will tell you what positions you need to get into so that your baby can properly descend through your pelvis. it won't be easy but you can do it!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
jade1930
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 2 VBACs. Head size wasn't an issue for me (partial placental abruption) but I think the Dr's reasoning is because of the scar tissue on your uterus from the 2 previous c-sections. There is a higher chance for it to rupture during vaginal delivery. My scar tissue started to pull apart during VBAC 1. I was very lucky. If you have a larger baby that could be an issue. I do understand the wanting to deliver naturally. I was told that I could never do it because "I couldn't handle the pain". What a load of crap. I have done it twice without meds and would take all that pain over recovering from a c-section. If it were me, I would go for the ultrasound, and gauge it from there. Maybe try to go natural first then if needed, have the surgery. But the most important thing is to have a healthy baby no matter how it is delivered. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDanae View Post
DS1's head was 37cm..I don't know what that is in inches. I don't know what DS2's head size was, but he said his head was 75% in relation to his weight. DS1's head was 95%...if that gives a clue at all. I didn't go into labor at all with DS2 so I didn't even try to see if he'll fit.
thats bigger than average, but thats not THAT big...that's roughly 14.5 inches and I think 13-14 is the norm.

My 9.7lb'er had a 15.5 " head

if it were me, I'd seek the advice of a m/w for pelvic size, because doctors will tell you that even when its totally not true.
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Also, with the exception of a few cases out there,I think VBA2C is very highly possible, BUT....you have to fight for it and really know your stuff AND have good support system in place, esp for a hossy birth. subsequent vbacs tend to be longer labors, which means a higher chance you'll want to succumb to drugs, etc. there are alot ofmamas onthis board who have done it, I'd pm them and ask for advice on how they did it
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Get yourself to ICAN mama! Babies heads mold as they are being born, so larger head just molds more. I had one baby w/ a 15" head. He had ridges on the sides of his head from molding during birth. They go away in days. No one can predict what a mama can birth and there seems to be an excessive amount of big baby fear lately. It is ridiculous! Being in bed w/ pit and epidural can lead to less than optimal positioning of baby which can make delivery more challenging in addition to birthing on your back. Find a midwife!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just remembering... A friend of mine was told that baby's head was too big for her pelvis also and that she'd probably end up with a c-section.
She delivered vaginally and his head was 14.5". Head was never an issue.