Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBA2C...Told too small of pelvis to deliver vaginally. Need advice!!

I second finding a chapter of ICAN and also recommend finding a doula in your area!!!

www.findadoula.com or www.dona.org or www.doulamatch.net

Advertisement

Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post
thats bigger than average, but thats not THAT big...that's roughly 14.5 inches and I think 13-14 is the norm.

My 9.7lb'er had a 15.5 " head

if it were me, I'd seek the advice of a m/w for pelvic size, because doctors will tell you that even when its totally not true.
I had a SEVEN pound baby with a 15 inch head! LOL! Anyway, think of how convenient c-sections are for doctors. Of course they're going to tell you to get one. They can be in surgery, out and home for dinner, whereas with a natural delivery who knows when they can go home. I think that if you put faith in your body to give birth naturally you absolutely can do it. Definitely don't lay on your back though..you need gravity!!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I'd consider seeing someone else for a second opinion. My mom was told this before she was actively in labor with my older brother and as a result had me and my younger brother by c-sec.
we were roughly 7.5 lbs and all had 13 inch heads/chest
My mom is bigger than me.

I on the other hand gave birth to DD who was 9lbs 3 ounces and had a 13 inch head...DS was a lb smaller but had a 13 and a quarter inch head and chest. I am a size 1 PP and really small, so I am a firm believer that your body (unless something is wrong) will not make a baby bigger than what you can handle. I'd seriously see someone else.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Lover View Post
I'd consider seeing someone else for a second opinion. My mom was told this before she was actively in labor with my older brother and as a result had me and my younger brother by c-sec.
we were roughly 7.5 lbs and all had 13 inch heads/chest
My mom is bigger than me.

I on the other hand gave birth to DD who was 9lbs 3 ounces and had a 13 inch head...DS was a lb smaller but had a 13 and a quarter inch head and chest. I am a size 1 PP and really small, so I am a firm believer that your body (unless something is wrong) will not make a baby bigger than what you can handle. I'd seriously see someone else.
Who should I ask for a second opinion? I don't trust any OB cause they'll probably say the same thing. I could find a midwife, but do you guys know if insurance will cover that? Do they have a free first meeting? I have NO CLUE what to do at this point. I've never had a doula or midwife before. And when I did call the local birthcenter in my area when I was pregnant with DS2, they said they couldn't take me because I already had a c-section.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

dd was c-section baby, cuz I was failure to progress. After she was born, they said her head was probably to big for me to deliever anyways. I hope its not the same when i have this one in may.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDanae View Post
DS1's head was 37cm..I don't know what that is in inches. I don't know what DS2's head size was, but he said his head was 75% in relation to his weight. DS1's head was 95%...if that gives a clue at all. I didn't go into labor at all with DS2 so I didn't even try to see if he'll fit.
37 cm = 14.5 inches. And that's how big my daughter's head was at birth. She was 8 lbs. 13.4 oz., btw.

I birthed her just fine (I did push for a little more than an hour), even though I was told that I'd have "trouble" birthing a baby with a head that big.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layna View Post
I'm just curious, do you know the measurments of your babies heads at birth?

I've never had any experience in this, but here is my opinion.
A very few % of women actually have too small of a pelvis, although this is now something quite a few women hear they have.

And I absolutely believe that pitocin, the epidural, and the fact that you were laying down the whole time probably affected why he didn't decend.

Think about the factor of gravity. How is babys head supposed to move down well if you were on your back? Body's may need a little bit of help, but not always the medical kind.

Honestly, you shouldn't just accept the fact you'll never deliver vaginally. How do you know that's true if you're never allowed to try?

If it was me, I'd skip the U/S, then they couldn't tell me the head was too big!
It just sounds like it could be a good cop-out for the Dr. "sure, I'll be the good guy and say you can try but then I'll say it's not medically possible."
Or refuse to schedule a c/s untill 42 weeks and show up to the hospital in active labor if possible.

I would read as much as you can about this, it sounds like you need more confidence in yourself and your body.
Good luck in whatever you decide!
I COMPLETELY agree!!! good luck mama
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Who should I ask for a second opinion? I don't trust any OB cause they'll probably say the same thing. I could find a midwife, but do you guys know if insurance will cover that? Do they have a free first meeting? I have NO CLUE what to do at this point. I've never had a doula or midwife before. And when I did call the local birthcenter in my area when I was pregnant with DS2, they said they couldn't take me because I already had a c-section.
Unless you or the baby will be in danger, I'd be like a mad women looking for a OB who is willing to at least let you try a natural birth. Like everyone else has said, you never know until you try. And I also don't believe we were made to lay in bed like a sicky while in labor. Movement moves things along.

I think you'd be able to do it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Oh good grief.

Mama your first birth sounds EXACTLY like mine. Stuck on my back in bed, pitocin and epidural, and on top of all that, a posterior baby with a big ol' head. But did they blame any of that when I couldn't push him out after 4 hours of trying? Nope, they blamed my pelvis.

Fast forward 4 years, and I'm birthing his brother, squatting in a pool. I DO have a legitimately narrow pelvis. In fact, if my tailbone hadn't broken about half a second before the birth, he might not have made it out. He was quite banged up and had a V grooved into the back of his head from my pelvic arch, but I still managed to birth him! AND he was a good lb. and change bigger than his brother, even though I was told I "couldn't birth a baby bigger than 6 lbs!"

THis is just proof that the hospital system is so effed up. They take all pregnant women and force them to fit through the same mold, and then when their bodies can't adapt to it they say they're broken. They are NOT broken! The system is! If I had had home midwifery care with my first, I strongly believe I could have avoided a C-section. They look at every little detail in your body and life and work hard with you to maximize your chance of having the safest, gentlest birth possible. Whereas the CNMs I saw with my first birth didn't even know my name until they looked at my chart.

Also, it needs to be said that pelvimetry (measuring the pelvis via internal examination) is VERY subjective. I've had four midwives take a jab at it in the past 5 years. The first said my pelvis was "just fine." The second said it was "heart-shaped." The third said it was "very, very small." The fourth, who was one of my home midwives, said it was definitely pretty narrow, and that we would have to work to get around that.

I firmly believe the circumstances of your first birth is what led to your C-section. Having the epidural forces you to lie in bed which is a HORRIBLE way to labor and deliver. You can't move about to facilitate more productive labor, and you have to push your baby UPHILL! And Pitocin can make a "stuck" baby even more stuck. If babe is in a bad position, Pitocin will make sure he stays there and can't rotate out of it to be born! Have you thought about birthing at home or in a freestanding birth center? If you are committed to birthing vaginally, I highly recommend looking into other alternatives than the hospital!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They don't know, and anyone who tries to tell you that they can determine this accurately is lying.

I believe that the technical term is cephalopelvic disproportion. Here is some info: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/lab...roportion.html I was diagnosed with this in my first pregnancy. My water broke and I could not progress past 3 cm, even with a internal monitor to determine if my contractions were adequate (they were) and with the addition of moderate pitocin. They c-sectioned me at 23 hours into labor.

I still wanted to labor a bit with my next two, just to see if they were wrong. With my second and third I labored at home thru the prodromal part of labor and still arrived at the hospital less than 1cm dialated and little to no effacement. My babies showed little to no head molding and never made it any farther than -1 station into the birth canal by the time I was wheeled in for a c-section with both of those last two babies, 12 hours or more into laboring. All three boys' head measurement was 13in even. So I am a true case of CPD.

If I were you mama, I would give it a try. It sounds like you have a lot going in your favor based on what you've said and I would guess that you do not have CPD, just big kids. From what I've seen personally, some of the itty-bittiest women pop out the biggest kids and have no problems doing so. Good luck!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote