Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBA2C...Told too small of pelvis to deliver vaginally. Need advice!!

unless you have a deformity or your pelvis, (some peoples are kinda upside down shaped which is ahuge problem, obviously, or very small or the pieces dont want to separate, etc)or gestational diabetes, or the babe has hydrocephalus, its almost impossible for your baby to be too big for you to birth vaginally. yes, positioning of the babe and the mama make up a huge role in how it plays out, especially in a hospital.

Advertisement

*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #22
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend being in a squatting position. I poped out a 9lb baby with in 1 min in this position. It will open up your hips.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first section, I showed up at the hospital dialated to 4, with in minutes I went to 7 and there I sat.. I walked, I swayed, I did this and did that... nothing. They started pitocin hoping to move me on... after 8 hours I still sat at 7. I had no epidural, and did not want one. After sitting at 7 for 8 hours, the dr checked me again, and she looked like she was about to cry. She said I was still at 7, my hips and pelvis never budged an inch the whole time we were there, she could barely get her fingers in there to check me I went into transition, still at 7 and baby started having some major problems. She took me to the OR, where my blue little boy was born. She told me later that day that I would have to have a much much smaller baby.. at least 1 pound less to deliver vaginally. He was 7lbs 2oz. She said she wasn't sure why my pelvis never opened up.. but with all the walking I did (I was only on the pit. for 4 of the 8 hours I sat at 7, so 4 hours of it I was up walking and such) it should have.

I saw a midwife with baby number 2. We planned all along to go with a VBAC. We were getting towards the end of the pregnancy and she had a heart to heart with me. She was terrified to try and deliver a baby through my pelvis. She said she had written several times in her notes how small my pelvic structure was, but she was game to try since we were. We talked a little longer and decided to have a section... I delivered a 6lb2oz baby that time.

#3 was a given, we didn't even consider trying for a vbac.. and am I glad.. he was 9lb5oz

This is number 4 for us, we will have our 4th and final section in May. I sometimes feel I missed out on something, but after delivering a blue baby because my body decided not to work right, I am happier knowing I didn't endanger my babies by trying to accomplish something. I am no less of a woman because I didn't squeeze out a baby, so what does it matter.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Someone may have already said this, but when I was talking to my doula about this last preg she talked to me about ways to help. If you're squatting and someone pushes on the top of your pelvis it opens the bottom way up. You can even feel it! I wasn't in labor but she demonstrated and I could really feel a difference. The documentary "the business of being born" talks about how difficult it is to give birth on your back like that. BTW I heard recently of a woman who gave birth vaginally after 6 c-sections. Yes, I said 6, so just because they say you have to doesn't mean you do. Find someone who will support you, not humor you.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Haven't read all the responses, but babies heads are designed to fit through the pelvis...small or regular sized. So even if a babies' head is big it is still going to smoosh like a smaller one kwim?

The bull$h1t that OBs shovel on expecting mamas really ticks me off sometimes.

To the OP, I hope you find a supportive care, no matter what you decide.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
mommyshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my babies had 15" heads and I had no problem.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
kristy1129
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to bad to have a baby naturally...no drugs or anything. We opted for a water birth, well water labor because they won't deliver in the tub at my hospital. Anyway, after a very long labor, finally getting an epidural and pushing for 2 hours, they told me that I wasn't going to be able to have him vaginally bc my pelvic bone has a strange tilt to it, but that if I wanted to try, I could push for another hour, which I did. And boy did I ever push! I did NOT want to have a c-section. So the doctor comes back after an hour and no baby and tells me I have to have a c-section. I bawled!!! Anyway, it wasn't so bad. Afterwards, my poor baby had a gynormous swollen head from me pushing so hard along with some scabs. I felt horrible trying to push him through and putting him through that. But you do what you have to do, ya know!
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Trade your products for my Product Photography? My Store!
I run coops on my yahoo group! Ecojarz, Notions, Frontier, Melissa&Doug, etc...
kristy1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #28
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.homebirth-only.com/ATinyW...sHomeBirth.htm

A tiny mamas HB. A great pic after the birth of what molding of the baby's head can look like.

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 02-07-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #29
elephantine
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
http://www.homebirth-only.com/ATinyW...sHomeBirth.htm

A tiny mamas HB. A great pic after the birth of what molding of the baby's head can look like.
wow that is just weird and neat at the same time! good for her
elephantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #30
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dang it, the movie I was going to link was removed due to infringement!! Anyway, it's called Pregnant in America and you can rent it on Netflix if maybe you do or you know someone who does.

They document a pregnancy and interview hundreds of women who've had not-so-perfect deliveries and talk about why and such. Their friend happens to be having a baby and her dr told her she was too narrow to deliver a baby and they needed to schedule a c/s for such and such date. She ended up delivering the baby just fine and when they went to talk to the dr about it he was on vacation. He left the day after she was scheduled for the c/s! Talk about convenience! I'm not claiming your c/s was done for that reason, but a LOT of them are!

In order for you to TRULY be diagnosed with CPD you have to have an xray and specific measurements to confirm this. Dr's use the term "narrow pelvis" all the time but the real number of women with CPD is really small. And an u/s isn't a truly reliable source of measuring the baby's head. I knew a mama (due at the same time as my 3rd) who was rushed into a c/s at 38wks because her baby (first) was SOOO big and had a 16" head and weighed approx 11lbs and there was NO WAY she could deliver vaginally. Baby was born 2 wks early and weighed a whopping 7 1/2lbs!! Normal 13.5" head to boot!! She was basically forced into a c/s (with the threat of her or the baby dying if she even tried) and will most likely always be forced into having a repeat c/s because of military hospitals!

There are plenty of women on here who've had VBA2C and lots who were told they had too narrow of a pelvis to deliver a baby only to go on and deliver a decent sized baby.

Definatly join ICAN, talk to a doula, talk to someone who has been in your situation and if your dr is willing to try than go for it!! And be active during your labor. Stay home as long as you possibly can! Try a birthing ball, squat bar, ANYTHING to help move your baby down into your pelvis. Try with everything you have to avoid that epidural b/c thats only going to make your pushing harder! That's from experience too. I have had 5 babies and my last labor/delivery was with an epidural and it took me 45mins to push! All my other babies flew out in a couple pushes. I had a longer recovery, more pain than a natural delivery and if/when we have #6 I will be be going naturally again!

Good luck and I hope you can have the VBA2C you are desiring!!