Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I really felt guilty/embarrassed at the WIC office yesterday

There is no shame in asking for help when you need it.

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coming from a woman who used to work for WIC (lactation counselor) I can tell you that WIC isn't anything like welfare. WIC is a program to help make sure that kids are getting enough of a few things, not paying your whole grocery bill. It will provide milk, cheese, cereal, juice, carrots, peanut butter and beans. I know there are a few other things, but those are the basics. It is a wonderful program to help those that need it.

It doesn't micromanage your childrens weight, unless they are grossly overweight, or underweight. They do care about their eating habits, and vaccines are a touchy subject. Not sure on that...And they don't dictate what you can feed your kids. They give you 'checks' for certain items. You can buy everything, or just what you 'need'.

All of that said, they LOVE breastfeeding women. Especially pregnant women who breastfeed. They even offer breastpumps to women who need it, and extend the WIC checks for mom if she does breastfeed. And if you do walk in there with clean (I am not talking spotless and gap clothes here...more like bathed with clothes that are not dirty) and well behaved children you will be loved, and they will be nice. The women that throw them off are the ones that come in with dirty kids who trash the waiting room, mom is pregnant and there wanting her formula checks. Not to bash formula feeders, but they do like women to at least give breastfeeding a shot.

WIC is for a lot of people...those that don't even know they qualify. I recommend those that are struggling to call their local WIC office and see what the income guidlines are!
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #13
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ditto what the other mamas are saying....and plus, children are such an amazing blessing... but there is never a "good" time to bring a child into the world. I think it is wonderful that you are having another baby
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is on wic and at her next apt I plan to tell them that we are expecting again. There is no shame in getting a little help when you need it. My s/o is in school and I take my dd with me to a job that doesnt pay very well. (although i just got a second job and the in-laws will have her weekends)

Making ends meet with a toddler and one income is very hard, especially since we dont use daycare. Dont feel bad about taking a hand up if you need it. I would even try to get your kids on medicaid if you can. My dd is on it and it is wonderful!
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We fall just above the guidelines with this pregnancy, but with my first we fell way under until DH got a HUGE raise like a year after my first was born - I was like you, felt a little ashamed, but it made me feel good that the food was for my kid - I'd do anything for them, even if it meant feeling a little ashamed myself and I am sure all of us mommies on here feel the same way!
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never felt ashamed. I am very proud to be able to be able to stay at home with my kids, and the ladies at my WIC agree with that. It's a shame that so many kids have to go to daycare/babysitters all day long while their mommy is out working. Hubby and I feel very strongly that a mommy belongs at home with her kids, and we will accept the WIC assistance that we get. I don't consider WIC welfare, I consider it a help in making sure I can give my kids a nutritious diet, after all, I'm not the one at the grocery store check out line with a slew of dirty kids buying tv dinners and soda with foodstamps.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think there is no shame in receiving WIC the food prices these days are CRAZY and if you formula feed it's a struggle getting by without them. I wouldn't feel guilty doing it. I bring my kids in all the time and all the ladies there adore them and they always ask me when I'm going to have more so they obviously don't see a problem with having more kids while you're on it. lol. So I don't think you should feel bad.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymilk View Post
Coming from a woman who used to work for WIC (lactation counselor) I can tell you that WIC isn't anything like welfare. WIC is a program to help make sure that kids are getting enough of a few things, not paying your whole grocery bill. It will provide milk, cheese, cereal, juice, carrots, peanut butter and beans. I know there are a few other things, but those are the basics. It is a wonderful program to help those that need it.

It doesn't micromanage your childrens weight, unless they are grossly overweight, or underweight. They do care about their eating habits, and vaccines are a touchy subject. Not sure on that...And they don't dictate what you can feed your kids. They give you 'checks' for certain items. You can buy everything, or just what you 'need'.

All of that said, they LOVE breastfeeding women. Especially pregnant women who breastfeed. They even offer breastpumps to women who need it, and extend the WIC checks for mom if she does breastfeed. And if you do walk in there with clean (I am not talking spotless and gap clothes here...more like bathed with clothes that are not dirty) and well behaved children you will be loved, and they will be nice. The women that throw them off are the ones that come in with dirty kids who trash the waiting room, mom is pregnant and there wanting her formula checks. Not to bash formula feeders, but they do like women to at least give breastfeeding a shot.

WIC is for a lot of people...those that don't even know they qualify. I recommend those that are struggling to call their local WIC office and see what the income guidlines are!
I love you!

OP: a little free cheese isn't anything to be ashamed about. With that said, I am a little ashamed of WIC too. I don't like when 'other people take care of me'

I may be totally off base, but doesn't a lot of the WIC money come from formula companies and the USDA?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
mamajuliana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always feel that way too to be honest, I feel like i'm educated and shouldn't be in the hole I'm in, but we are...and to be perfectly honest this county doesn't do enough to help moms and encouring women to stay at home, and this is one of the few things we have so if it allows me to be home loving my children all day long then I just hold my chin up and say thank you very much
Juliana, Married to DH Jackson (10.08.06) , mom to DD Sienna (1.9.05) and DS Sawyer (9.27.08):Proud to be a B******, BW-ing, CDing, no circ, co-sleeping, delayed vaxing family. I make tutus 15ppd PM me with interest. ASK ME ABOUT AFRICAN BLACK SOAP
mamajuliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(((HUGS))) Don't feel bad. I was on it last year when DD was born (have 3 kids) and I felt much of the same way you do.