Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me be objective w/ these two midwife choices. - Update in 27: I've chosen!

So DH and I met a midwife on Monday and another one today. I really like both of them, lol. But I wanted to get a few other opinions from uninvolved third parties.

Midwife A:
- global fees of $3450 for homebirth (we would need to get a loan or be gifted a little bit of this money to pay for her)
- comes to my home for all prenatal visits
- schedules a max of 3 births per month
- a slightly brighter personality than the other one
- 24 years experience
- direct entry midwife
- found via personal reference from people at church (she was the assisting midwife at one friend's homebirth and the main midwife at another friend's homebirth)

Midwife B:
- global fees of $2900 for homebirth, covering the same things that midwife A's fee would cover
- takes insurance, and also offers a significant cash discount if paid early
- comes out to my home for just one prenatal visit towards the end, the rest are at her office, a half-hour drive away
- not as bubbly as the other midwife, more of a "thoughtful" personality
- certified nurse midwife
- schedules a max of 6 births per month (but does not have a business partner, so she would be the primary midwife at all of her clients' births)
- found via an internet search and referrals from people online

Those are the main differences between the two of them. Both have had children of their own and gotten into midwifery partly due to that, both can suture me if I tear, both have resuscitation equipment, etc. I'm heavily leaning towards one over the other right now, but just wanted to get some others' thoughts on it as well. Then I'll add my thoughts a bit later on.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!

Last edited by Harmony96; 02-09-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me be objective w/ these two midwife choices.

I think if it were me I would go with #1.Sounds like she has more experience & a better personality.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

I would have to pick B just from a financial standpoint if she accepts your insurance (and your insurance pays a large portion). If that isn't true thyen I would go with A
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I get a gut feeling about things and even if the other option seems just as good or better, I have to go with my gut or regret it forever.
If A is who you're leaning towards based on her abilities, references and dr to patient ratio but B is more realistic based on finances I would still go with A.

I like the idea of the MW coming to your home, in your comfortable setting (decreasing the chances of "white coat syndrome" in any office) and the fact that you've seen her in action. Your #1 goal here is to get the baby here safely and #2 for you to have a positive birthing experience. It may cost a little more but What can you do?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
averysmom
Registered Users

pm'ed you!!
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm they both sound good. is the extra expense of the first one worth it to you (you would save gas money, and having to decide what to do with your other one while at appts. ) i would probably choose B just bc a more "thoughtful" personality is what would work better for me, but you have to see which one fits better with you and your family
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

I like a thoughtful personality better than bubbly, and from your posts elsewhere about finances, I would go with B since she takes your insurance.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Mrs.Nicolian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*I* would choose B from what you have said... I am interested to hear who you're leaning toward.
Mrs.Nicolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I'd pick B as well. To me, maybe I'm just a suspicious sort of person, but 6 births a year is more realistic (if this is her only means of making a living) than 3, even at the higher price. I know this is one of the main worries about having a MW, if she will have another birth while you're in labor, I'd just wonder about her number and if it's in fact true. That and I like thoughtful "introverted" people more than bubbly when it comes to serious things like child birth. The price helps as well. You wouldn't have to worry about the finances as much. I wouldn't really see a down side to having to go to her office for each visit, to me, that's a good opportunity to see how organized she is, maybe even run into a few other women she has/will deliver for as well.

ETA:
I just noticed it "births per month"- not year, guess I should stop the multi-tasking. I'd still go with B.

Last edited by Mother Lover; 02-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Mother Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like the sounds of #2 except that she schedules 6 births a month...that's A LOT for a 1 woman show, IMO.

ing you make the right decision for you
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote