Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me be objective w/ these two midwife choices.

I'd probably go with number 2 - I like the specific qualifications that nurse certified midwives have - also I guess i dont think 6 births a month are really that much - and the drive isnt bad to me either

Where I birthed the midwife had other 30 delivers the month my son was born - she did both the birthcenter and homebirths in a 30 mile radius

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd pick B based on what you've said here and the financial aspect of it as well because I've read other posts about finances from you : ]
Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
CanadianMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would pick B. I also like the more thoughtful personality. I looked at my midwife visits with my other 2 as a nice opportunity to get out of the house and focus on me and the baby. I wouldn't do that as much at home. I would be more worried about what was going on in my house during my appts. That could be just me though.
6 Births doesn't seem like alot to me either.

Karen
CanadianMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well b certainly is a much better choice, financially...did she mention what she does in the event that she has two mamas in labor at one time?

you know, when it comes down to giving birth/being in labor...you aren't going to give two darns about how bubbly someone is...im sure it makes the prenatal visits more 'fun' but in the thick of things...fun isnt really important, ya know?

did you talk about how many transfers each mw has had in the past...you didnt mention how long midwife b has been practicing...she's a cnm, so you know she has the training...does she also do hospital births?

if it were me, i would lean towards b because of the financial thingy...but i do love the idea of in home prenatal visits...though, i dont really care that i have to drive to my mw's office to see her each visit...and ive heard about flaky midwives who never show up to appts., etc...so i guess i would take that arrangement with a grain of salt based purely on my own judgment....

anyways. im curious, also, to see how you're leaning...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would go with A, most likely. i tend to think of CNMs as more medical minded than DEMs, and i lean away from medical. the 'bubbliness' might turn me off though if its over the top, though she could have been 'upping' the charm for the interview. im tired and blabbing.... good night and good luck!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd go with #2
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
i would go with A, most likely. i tend to think of CNMs as more medical minded than DEMs, and i lean away from medical. the 'bubbliness' might turn me off though if its over the top, though she could have been 'upping' the charm for the interview. im tired and blabbing.... good night and good luck!
my homebirth mw is a cnm, and she is not 'medical minded' at all...i mean, she has the training...has worked in hospitals...but she is very much a homebirth, hands off, midwife...and is also not very bubbly...lol. but shes got the birthing skillz...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
boom1128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

where i went this time there were 2 midwives. one was very thoughtful and the other more bubbly. both very very nice and i liked them both. i ended up having the more bubbly attend our homebirth. my dh kept the kids occupied mostly while i labored and it was nice to have her to chat with. i sat on the birthing ball alot and we chatted in between contractions. money wise i might go with b but ultimatly you have to go with the one you feel the most connection with and who makes you feel most comfortable.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hard to say Andrea...both have positives in different areas. I agree with the previous posters that in the end, you want to go with whoever gave you the most peace of mind.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
dsharp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like A. More experience (which is #1 priority for me), more convenience, better personality. But you know there's more to it than that. I thought I had a good midwife for my first birth. But there were some serious things she was lacking. Like she should have suggested position changes and didn't. She told me to push when I wasn't ready. And I've seen since then lots of other midwives in action that suggest lots of deep breathing, softening the face, etc. and she did none of that. So it's hard to say on the little bit of description you gave, but typically more experience means better midwife.
TTC #3
dsharp is offline   Reply With Quote