Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #41
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BSRB Chatter Weekend Edition

Tana- I honestly think Ryder is fine with his speech. He is learning two languages so I would except him to not have tons of words ya know? Also that jibberish might actually be words. For example, Eva always would scream "reez reeeeez" and soon I figured out that she meant raisins. KWIM?

For disciplining I do the bear hug. Her pedi told us about it and it really works. Whenever Eva does a "nono" I hold her tight and try looking in her eyes and say things like " please do not hit. It hurts mommy. Touch gently. Can you give mommy a give and say "sorry"". If she were to hit again immediately after the bear hug... we do it again. It's a nice gentle but effective way to discipline

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #42
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jordan, when we moved into our home it was 2500 sq ft but we have finished the basement (for another 700 sq ft). We are also planning to put on an addition at some point in the not so distant future which would probably add another 1000 sq ft. Our gripe is not with the total size of our home, it's with the poor layout. Most homes the size of ours have 4 bedrooms where ours has 3. The way our master suite is worked out is really craptastic too. The bathroom is almost as big as the bedroom but it's not useful space, it's just a wide open room. I would much rather have a smaller yet functional bathroom and the extra space used as a bigger walk-in closet. Our plan is to add on a great room behind the garage, then a new master suite and another bedroom above that addition. We'll convert our existing master suite into a guest room with its own attached bath as well as another bedroom. It can be easily done. We'd have to gut Juliana's room to accomplish this, and then her room would become an office because it would be open on both sides to make a point of entry to the new bedrooms from the main house. We're planning to have 3 kids, so once this addition is on, each member of the fam can have their own room, we can have the bedroom of our dreams, and we can have a guest room again. I'd also like to make small renovations to the upstairs bathroom (just to make it a more remarkable space) and I'd like to do semi-big renovations to my kitchen (refinishing the cabinets, new flooring and a mosaic backsplash). The piece de resistance would be if we could somehow fill my kitchen with matching Viking appliances but that is honestly dead last on my list of things to do around here. Coming up this spring we're going to be focusing on smaller improvements like getting new light fixtures that go with each room (we still have all the same matching ones that the builder put in), a new front door, new door knobs, crown molding and some columns for decor between two of our rooms. It's going to be something! I told DH that we're going to be using MY to do list this time. Last summer all we did all summer was landscaping and while my yard now looks fantastic, I would have been happy with a much smaller scale project.

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

shannon your on a roll
tana
thats great your helping out your family id b a lil more than upset with my bro if he had all that space but at least oyur the bigger person
i always wonder when im old who is going ot care for me ya know
as for ryder(love that name it was on my list)
hes not even 2 peds dont usually reccommed any speach therapy until after 3
my daughter really started talking after 2 and my nephew didnt talk and after 2 really started talking too my son on the other hand was talking very well after 1 every child is different
if he is understanding you like bringing you stuff when you ask and things like that he is fine i wouldnt even worry
as for discipline its hard when you are one way and cannot or feel you cant tell your mom how to discipline him
yelling usually does not owrk if a kid is already worked up just keeps them in that frustrated mode ya know
imagine yourself very frustrated and someone yells at you then you want to strike back yell scream cry something ya know gotta be the same worse for kids
Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #44
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mamas! i am sorry i missed you all yesterday. I was soooooooooo sick And NO i was not partying (cuz i am in Vegas )

I don't know what it was, maybe food poisoning? Or it could have been a 24hr flu thing, who knows but I had the flu shot... so i am going to bet it was Food related.

Now that i have completely grossed you all out, i am just back to say hi! i have not read through the thread yet (or yesterday's thread, either) so I'll try to do that and come back over I am having a bit of buyer's remorse from the stalking on Thurs. I said i would not get that star print because i know the glitter is going to wash right off but could i resist??? NOOooooo. I guess we'll see what it and palm leaves look like when i get them.

BBL

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #45
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok... I love you mama's and you give such great support so I'm going to ask for some advice.

DBF is an awesome electrician. Currently he is out of work because of this crazy economy Well, my momma needed an outlet put in the wall so she offered for him to do it and she's give him some money for it. So he said yes but warned her that the material might cost her about $30 dollars. So she gave him $40 and said give me back any change you get. He went and bought the material, did the job, yada yada. When it came time to pay him she asked how much the materials ended up costing and he said "It was more than I though... it was about $40 dollars." She was kind of shocked but still gave him an extra $30 to pay for his work.

Well, after DBF left she found the receipt for the materials and it only totaled up to $23 (when he said it cost almost $40). I was disturbed by this when my mom told me this. When I saw him last night I used my excellent acting skills and some how asked him without being suspicious, how much the materials cost. He said that he told my mom they cost almost $30. Well that doesn't make sense either because $23 isn't "almost $30".

My mom is upset and I feel weird because this isn't something DBF would do. All I can say is he's very ditsy and could have thought it was somewhere close to $30. BUT then my mom says he said "about $40".

Who do I believe??? My mom isn't old (only 54) but she can get things mixed up at times. I am so torn! Help please
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #46
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You did not gross us out Sara! We love you ... feel better so you can have fun!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tana, all I have to say about Ryder's speech is to follow your own instincts. If you are genuinely concerned about it, look into the EI. If you are only concerned because the ped thinks you should be, don't discount your own feelings. Howie is not the most verbal kid around, but he's getting better all the time, at his own pace. I am not worried about his slow speech development because he's been slower with all of his milestones but one day, he just starts doing the thing like he's been doing it all his life. When he walked (at 15 months) he spent 1 day only standing unsupported, then the next day he took off walking and was totally professional at it. He never did the take a few steps and fall down thing, and he never looked wobbly on his feet. He was a pro from the first day, probably because he took so long to get it right. I'm expecting the same with speech. He says a few words here and there but he still struggles to communicate, but I think one day soon he's just going to start saying full sentences. He is 2.5.

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #48
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

jenn
wow that sounds amazing lots o fprojects i love watching the makeover shows and dreaming
you could be on our diaper documentary the hyena with the big house that you never would think cd's
if i wanted to stay in this house i would have lots of plans but i just want ot go
honey did put up crwon molding all throughout downstairs still have to finish babys room i asked him next weekend
want to deck out our closet its tiny so wanted to maximize usage with shelving an ddrawers and such
love home depot
we redid our floors when i was 8 months prego throughout downstairs
honey pulled out the 5 thousand layers of vinyl and i pulled them millions of staples great squatting for the babe
then the pros installed it knocked it out in a day it took us 2 days to get the old stuff out
oh so much to do and dream so i try to be very nuetral
but just fixing it up for the new owners one day not us so i tr
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #49
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dusting done (like every movie/dvd/game off the mantle and rearranged etc)
catboxes done
one bathroom done
DS fed lunch
both kids down for nap...

Now I am resting for a little bit and then going to take a shower I think. I still have another 1.5 bathrooms and floors to do but I feel gross and in need of a shower.

PS the heavy nursing shirt I threw at the cobwebs made a HUGE difference. If I were slightly more accurate it would be easier
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #50
momto3girls
Registered Users
Formerly: tajsa
seller

My Mood:

You mamas are chatting this morning. I ate mexican pizza last night which didn't agree with Juliana. She was up the last half of the night with bad gas pains. Mylicon didn't even help. No more pizza for me. Poor girl is so tired. She's been sleeping for 2 hours now.

We are doing major grocery shopping today. My goal for the week is to not eat out.

We're also in an upside down mortgage. It really sucks! We have no room and it's frustrating. Two of the girls are going to have to share a room. I have no idea how that's going to work out. I'm afraid they'll keep each other up at night.