Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
poor weight gain

So we have always had a tough time getting ds to gain weight. He will gain and then lose and gain and lose... now once again he has lost nearly 1 lb so at 11 mo old he is just 15 lbs 10 oz after eating and before pooing for the day. Anybody have issues such as this? Did you find reason? What was the reason? This kid eats like a cow. He would eat all day long if I let him. If I feed him too much then he pukes like overflow so I cut him off after like 1 jar of baby food with cereal mixed in (to help keep it down) maybe 1/3 c. cheerios, maybe some fruit cut up or 1/4 yogurt... He is on ranitidine which drastically helped the puking issues but didn't cure 100% (which I didn't and don't expect...) DH say don't worry he is happy and healthy but my gut says this isn't right. Why do WE have to work so hard to get a chubby baby? He is breastfed 3xs per day (was 4 til about 3 days ago when we cut 1 session out because hopefully cutting bfing out at age 1... he is getting whole milk off and on throughout the day (okayed by dr.) to make up for lost liquids. No juice, so it isn't like he is filling up on that... any thoughts?? Not looking for someone to tell me to not be done bfing. I have done my research and made my decision based on what will work for us... but any other suggestions/thoughts are thoroughly welcomed!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: poor weight gain

Why do you need a chubby baby? Someone has to be at the bottom of the chart, it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

If he's happy & overall healthy then I'd continue what you're doing but stop stressing out about it. My youngest was 16lbs at a year, she's almost 7 & about 43lbs now.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Why do you need a chubby baby? Someone has to be at the bottom of the chart, it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

If he's happy & overall healthy then I'd continue what you're doing but stop stressing out about it. My youngest was 16lbs at a year, she's almost 7 & about 43lbs now.
Hmmm well I don't need a chubby baby but I would like him to keep the weight on instead of keep losing. He is smaller now than he was at 8 mo old. That is where I feel there is a problem. Sorry should have explained better.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why did you reduce breastfeeding and replace it with cows milk and solids? Solids like baby food are very low in calories and fat and cows milk is 150 calories and 8 grams of fat in 8 ounces of whole milk where breast milk has 176 calories and 9.6 grams of fat in 8 ounces. I think if you can increase your breastfeeding that would help. Also, instead of low calorie and low fat fruit you can try avocado which is fattier. Maybe do a full cup of whole milk yogurt for breakfast and add avocado for lunch. You also said you wanted to wean at a year, is that just where you feel comfortable or was it recommended to you? It sounds like he started losing as you introduced more solids? My dd is super tiny and I'm worried about her too, she's 19lb 10oz at 17 months but still nursing all the time!
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

my son is in line with yours-he's almost 9 mos and is hovering steady at the 13lb mark-and he eats like a piglet! BF's every 3 hours (every 2 during the night ), and eats fresh fruits, as well as cereal, and jar food, plus a little diluted apple juice once in a while (I like to mix it with cereal and a fresh banana)-our pediatrician is monitoring him (before we lost our insurance we were going in for weight checks every 2 weeks and that will probably resume in March when our new insurance kicks in)-but I think he's just a little squirt! sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As far as stopping breastfeeding... I guess I have always just planned on making it to the 1 year mark... and really no one in this area practices extended breastfeeding. It was a chore to convince my dh that I was going to do it at all and then for a whole year. I suppose I could do it longer but I really am ready to have my body back I think. As far as when did the weight loss start- right when we brought him home from the hospital. I had to bring him in 1x per week for the first oh 12 weeks I think to monitor weight gain/loss. Then if I remember correctly it was 1x per month til 7 mo when he lost 1 lb from 6 mo. He was back to his 6 mo weight by 9 mo. and now lost again. I replaced 1 nursing session with whole milk because I want to make sure he isn't lactose intolerent before I let my supply diminish completely. I am also trying to teach him to drink from a cup without a sipper. He has started puking more since I introduced the whole cow's milk though he was fine with just sips of skim before I bought him the whole (those were just sips throughout the day not an actual few oz.) He is eating more table food than baby food now, and I am giving him the light peaches/fruits for the less sugar. The fruit here in WI really isn't that good of quality right now- actually its extremely high priced and poor quality... so the cans are working better. At least I know I am not the only one with a peanut. Oh and he HATES avocados... I have try, try, tried again. It was the 2nd solid food he was introduced to and he hated them then and he hates them now. You will get a green spray in your face if you even try to sneak a piece in his mouth. I was giving him whole milk yogurt but then dr. said I didn't have to any more so now he is just on regular yogurt 1x per day. No juice because I figured bm/milk has more calories. I should say once in a while he has sips of juice but his stools are so loose that when I give him any amount of juice its almost like the squirts.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you should evaluate for food intolerances and allergies. Keep a food diary and see if your LO throws up routinely after certain foods.