Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Solids---please educate me

How many of you out there make your own baby food? What resources do/did you use to make it? What do I need to have? What safety/health issues do I need to know about (aside from the obvious cleanliness stuff)? How much time do you spend preparing your little one's food?

I'd really like to give this a try with Emily, but don't have the first clue where to start.

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
shesmyfirst
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Solids---please educate me

Well, haven't done it yet, dd is about to turn 6 mos but one book I found to be a greart resource is ruth yaron's super baby food. It has a website with sample chaapters, you can check it out at

http://www.superbabyfood.com/

HTH!!
shesmyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I make all my own baby food for my ds. It is really simple and a lot cheaper. I do have a baby food mill/grinder that I got, but currently not using it because it doesn't puree it enough. I am currently using my blender to puree the baby food. Then I freeze in ice cube trays since each cube is 2 oz. Once frozen I transfer the frozen cubes into ziploc baggies in the freezer.

Here is a great website that have been using!
www.wholesomebabyfood.com
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Taylor View Post
How many of you out there make your own baby food? What resources do/did you use to make it? What do I need to have? What safety/health issues do I need to know about (aside from the obvious cleanliness stuff)? How much time do you spend preparing your little one's food?

I'd really like to give this a try with Emily, but don't have the first clue where to start.
First, you need to start with the foods that are similar to breastmilk. I started my DD on solids a bit early (a few days shy of 4 mos), since she had started breastfeeding every half hour for three weeks straight and her ped said I could start with cereal mixed with more breastmilk then work my way through everything else.

I make my own babyfood in my kitchen with what appliances I have on hand (rice steamer, sieve, gerber prefold (the gauzy kind), spatula, blender and ice cube trays).
Peel and chop your chosen food (pears, peaches, sweet potatoes and apples, etc) into cubes, placing them into your steamer with about 1 1/2 inches of water. Check them every 5 minutes or so and take a fork to see if they're tender/falling apart or not. Pour the entire contents into your sieve with a gerber prefold laid into it (if you've got cheese cloth, that works too), mashing the cubes with the spatula. The juice and water will be in a bowl underneath the sieve, you need these for the next step! Take the mashed contents of the sieve and put them in your blender, along with about half of the juice and water from the bowl, close the blender (common sense, but I've forgotten a few times... ) lid and pulse on Puree until it's a smooth consistency. You can add the juice to make it smoother and closer to a liquid consistency that's easier to pour into the ice cube trays. Once the ice cube trays are set, put the cubes into a ziplock baggie!

Keep in mind that some foods don't have to be made into babyfood, you can just smash them up and mix them with some EBM if they aren't quite ripe enough yet, like your Bananas and Avocados (which they'll like better a bit down the road). The rule of thumb is to try one new food a week (keep track on a calender on your fridge) to rule out sensitivities and allergies. Look for rashes on the skin or around the anus, wheezing, runny nose, etc. If these occur, DC that food and wait a month and a half to try it again.

HTH!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

It's so easy, and much better than the jarred stuff!! All I used was my blender, and boiled the veggie in water until really soft then blended until I got the consistency I wanted. I bought those food holder things (not sure what they're called) each little plastic thing is a tablespoon w/a lid on it. Well, that was a waste of $ IMO - I could'a just used plain ol' ice cube trays, and put them in a freezer zip lock bag - then after frozen - taken them outta the tray and left them in the zip lock bag for no longer than 3 months in the freezer.

Just be sure your DC is really ready for solids before you make a whole bunch of stuff. I made a bunch of stuff, and DD really didn't start taking solids until 8 months so a lot of my stuff went bad .
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah....I'm not totally convinced that she's ready for solids at this point. Just doing some research now so I'm prepared when she is. It's so sad to me that she's 5 months now and will soon be getting solids. Not sure why that's so depressing to me....but it is! What a weirdo!

Thank you for the info!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Really good first foods are sweet potatoes. They are chocka full of nutrients, and mush super easily once stemed/boiled. Be aware that cereal has very few nutrients for the bulk, and bananas constipate. And peas will make their poop smell like nothing you've ever smelled before!! LOL! I made most of the food for both dc's, but not all. Sometimes I gotta say those little Earth's Best jars are a mama's best friend!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Leininger27;477026]I make all my own baby food for my ds. It is really simple and a lot cheaper. I am currently using my blender to puree the baby food. Then I freeze in ice cube trays since each cube is 2 oz. Once frozen I transfer the frozen cubes into ziploc baggies in the freezer. QUOTE]

That's what I do too. Works great!
lisapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
hauser
Registered Users
seller

We don't do baby food really, but if we do then I just mash them up with a little BM and give it to him. He really just prefers to have a soft carrot or apple etc to munch on. Just make sure it is the size of thier fist so they don't choke on it. That is how we did our oldest too.