Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
sukhayogi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Medication question

Hi All,

DS has made it through his corrective surgery and we are home now. He had two fused fingers corrected on his right hand and the sixth toe on each foot removed. So, now he his in casts on his leg and a cast on his arm. Poor guy

Now, we have to give him a preventative antibiotic 4 times a day for five days and he hates it! He is 14 mo and it is a liquid medecine. Anyone have any suggestions at helping the medecine go down a bit easier? I tried putting it in yogurt this morning and he just spit it out.

TIA

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Medication question

can you give it to him toward his cheek so he doesn't taste it as much? Or offer him some reward for taking it (if he's old enough to get that?) like give him something he REALLY likes to eat if he takes his medicine like a big boy?
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

Towards and cheek and as far back as possible. It helps keep him from spitting it out. If he won't take it in yogurt, he's unlikely to take it in much of anything else. Maybe try something super yummy but not so healthy that you wouldn't normally give him, like chocolate pudding or something. And try to use as little food as possible so he doesn't have to eat so much to get the medicine.

Good luck! It sounds like he's had such a rough experience! What a trooper!

In a few years you'll be SO glad you went through this now.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Monzie
Registered Users

Most antibiotics taste horrible! They are so bitter...I can't imagine any food being able to cover up the taste. When I was a teenager, I had chronic strep throat and had to take amoxicillin all the time. I could only get it down by throwing the pill waaaaay in the back of my throat and then chasing it with a full glass of orange juice.

But, for a baby with liquid meds, I dunno what I'd do. I have a feeling you're gonna have to fight to get him to take it. Could you blend it into a smoothie or a shake or something really cold that he can drink with a straw? That's the only way I can think of that you can bypass his tastebuds as much as possible.

Good luck!
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I would contact the pharmacy and see if they can add a different flavor to it. I know that with some medicines, you can choose what flavor you want it to be. Then, maybe you can hide it easier in a smoothie, applesauce, pudding, etc. Good luck!
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
sukhayogi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! Any suggestions for constipation now? He is all backed up from the anesthesia and the tylenol w/codeine. Poor guy
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Monzie
Registered Users

The "p" fruits help with constipation...peaches, pears, prunes. Its also important to remember that antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the gut and that can really mess up your baby's digestion too. Yogurt helps repopulate the intestines with friendly bacteria...as do probiotics (found in the vitamin aisle at the drugstore and the refrigerator case at natural foods stores).
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

pharmacies can usually flavor the meds with a process called flavor Rx. That's what I use...

As for constipation, prunes work really well...

So sorry about the surgeries!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Watch out clearing up the constipation too quickly because our experience with antibiotics is that they cause the opposite problem.

For the first few months of DS life we had to hold him down and put the medicine in the back of his mouth. We then blew in his face a little so he had to swallow in order to breath. I felt terrible doing it but we could not find any other way to get the meds down.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

Which antibiotic is it? Depending on which one it is, refrigeration may help the taste. Flavoring the antibiotic can help, but it usually needs to be done when the med is picked up.

You should talk to your pediatrician about the constipation. Fiber and stool softeners probably won't work. Constipation caused by narcotics usually requires a stimulant laxative for relief.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote