Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
mlandorf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oral defensiveness/ oral aversion

DS is 6.5 months and has been refusing a bottle since 7 weeks (luckily he BF like a champ). We started trying to introduce homemade baby food and whenevern anything touches his lips/gums/mouth, he vomits. If he gets a piece of paper in his mouth, he also vomits. I touched a piece of pear to the outside of his lip and he gagged.

I am going to stop trying solids (we have tried 4 times over a couple weeks) for now.

He can and does put everything else in his mouth without issue (toys, hands...) He won't take a bottle, cup or binki.

When is the best time to get a speech pathologist evaluation? (now, nine months, 1 yr)?

I am willing to BF as long as I need to (DS#1 is 3.5 and still nurses)

He does have some risk factors for oral aversion - severe reflux in the first 4 months, antibiotics x 2 for ears in the first 3 months, a potentially too hot bottle at about 7 weeks...)

Any advice? Any SLP DS mamas?

TIA

Advertisement

mlandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Oral defensiveness/ oral aversion

NAK

He's probably too young for solids. Give it a week, and then try again. Then if that fails, give it another week and try again, etc. Also, try finger foods like those little baby puffs or Cheerios. Sometimes babies do better if they just feed themselves. If he is still having issues at 1 year, then it might be time to worry.

It is way too young for a speech evaluation. My ds has a speech disorder, but we're not sure what yet since he also has autism, and getting him to talk has been hard. His speech disorder is unrelated to autism, so he is speech delayed because he has autism, and he has oral motor difficulties and language processing/retrieval problems on top of autism. He also has problems with most foods. None of these difficulties showed up until he was a young toddler. He nursed fine, he ate baby food OK, but preferred finger foods, and so on until he was about 10 months to a year and then he refused to allow me to feed him, even nursing. As time went on, he started to self-prefer foods and would literally starve without his preferred foods.

Anyway, try not to worry and give him some more time. If you are still concerned, make an appointment with his Ped.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Lisa_delo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=474640

Sounds alot like my son who has serious oral aversions! Here is my thread so you can read.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd let him sit and play with food, rather than trying to feed it to him. That's been the suggestion to us for working with DS who has some sensory issues due to being a preemie.

DS missed the developmental window for nursing/bottle feeding due to respriatory issues, so he's only good at it when he's in the right mood - at least he doesn't gag on formula anymore.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 had some sensory issues due to severe reflux, so at 7 months we ended up stopping all solids until 9 months and then offering them again. Then she was ready to start with the most pureed stuff like a tiny baby. She's been delayed with all of her food "milestones" due to sensory issues but by almost 3 she had worked out most of them. I ended up giving her lots of extra time before offering things, and then offering one thing she had issues with (anything solid) alongside stuff she loved (liquidy things like soup and applesauce) and having her take one bite and then leaving her alone, an eventually she got used to the solids. I don't know if that's officially recommended as we didn't get any therapy for her, but it worked for us. I also eventually (almost age 2) had to require her to eat *something* between bottles to "earn" the next bottle or she would probably still be on formula
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

My immediate thought is to rule out possible medical issues. My ds1 didn't eat ANY solids until 25 months due to severe silent GERD which went undiagnosed despite taking him to a dozen providers (literally!!). He was in OT and ST to "learn" how to eat for 11 months. 7 days after starting meds, he ate like a champ! In fact, he gained 5 lbs in 5 weeks!!

My ds2 took very well to solids but had a lot of discomfort and vomiting which we finally realized was related to wheat and dairy. After eliminating those, he does just fine.

It could be that your ds is just a little young and will decide in another month or so that he loves solids. But if your gut feeling is that something else is going on, there's no reason to sit around waiting to get help for it. I started seeking help for ds1 at 11 months of age and it took a full 14 months of frustration to identify the problem and get it resolved. I would trust your mama instincts on this one!
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have the exact same thing going on, altho anderson is 15 months.

it was so bad that he had to have a g tube placed.

we just found out that he has a chiari malformation, and that is probably the underlying cause of all of this.

good luck

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and i would start OT/ST now.

we are seeing 2 different OTs and they both wish they would have gotten a hand on Anderson earlier.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote