Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Mama2b2Caden
FSOT Needs Resolved,DO NOT B/S/T
seller

My Mood:
Breech Babies (Frank); Will her legs stick straight up?

Hi mamas! I am hoping someone here can help with a question I have. My sisters best friend is 19 and having her baby on Friday. She is having a C section because the baby is in the frank breech position and I *think* she is also slightly diagonal. Brienne is so young and doesn't question anyhting her much old, experiece, Male, doctor or her mother say. She mentioned that they will have an ortho doc check the baby out after delivery and that we can come see her as long as we don't mind "her legs sticking straight up."

This poor mama to be thinks her babies legs are going to be STUCK in the same position as in utero; as in, up, straight!

I tried to re-assure here that there is no way they will stay like that for long, and that eventually she will curl her legs down like all newborns but the truth is, I really don't know! I assume the ortho doctor is consulting just in case, right?

I just want this to be a positive experience for Brienne so badly. I very strongly urged her NOT to terminate her pregnancy, as it was a surprise and the baby's father is not at all invloved. Being that I was in the same situation a year ago, although I was older (26) she has looked to me for advice a lot, and although I don't agree with her MOTHER's parenting advice (for instance she won't let her nurse her baby because she doesn't want the baby being too attatched, so that Brienne doesn't miss a beat in school.) I try not to interfere although it is SO hard for me to stay quiet!

If anyone wants to send positive thoughts and prayers her way, this young mom could use them! I've even been trying to visualize her baby spinning, LOL!

Advertisement

Lisa Rene: Grateful, Gentle, Single Mama to my Dream Come True, Caden Isaac born 12-18-07: Still Nursing and still Rear Facing! I'm BACK in School! Earning a 2nd Degree as a Registered Nurse!But would rather be
Register to SHOP Designer Boutiques and get $10 FREE for You and Me! Rue La La
Mama2b2Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: Breech Babies (Frank); Will her legs stick straight up?

Aww poor girl. Sorry I giggled it's just a bit funny. No her baby's legs aren't going to stay sticking straight up. That's normal for a breech baby. Legs are usually straight up. Abram was born butt first BTW, head and legs last. She'll be fine, so will her baby.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was complete breech with her twin brother sitting on top of her. Her butt was sitting on my cervix. Her legs did tend to be up for the first week or so (in the hospital when she was first born they rolled up a recieving towel and put it under her legs). They went to normal after the first week and she is normal now at 6. The only thing to watch for and the baby will probably have an ultrasound is hip displasia (sp)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was frank breech, poor little guy, they checked his hips well after birth to make sure they weren't dislocated, but he was fine.
He would lay out flat in the basket he looked like and mini adult sleeping, he never did curl into the fetal position. What was funny at first, he would pop back onto the frank position when I unwrapped him to do a diaper, he'd be folded in half like a sandwich, I had a heck of a time doing his diapers, it didn't help that I 'd get the giggles and it hurt like heck after the c-section.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
hppymomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter also was breech and is fine. She did have bad color in her legs for awhile, and they checked to make sure her hips were okay but she's fine and all is good.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little sister was a frank breech baby and her legs did stick straight up for about 4 or 5 days unless she was swaddled. I actually videotaped them rolling her out of the OR and in to get weighed and all that stuff that they do right afterwards and as soon as they took her out of the blanket her legs went right back up over her head. lol. It was pretty funny, but they will go down after a few days.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD#1 was breech - her legs barely curled up. My Mom was breech and my Grandma said her legs naturally went up to her head for about a week unless you pulled them down.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Kady was a breech vag delivery and her legs are fine. First couple days she piuuled them up but now at 4 mos she LOVES to put weight on them and jump in her jumper, she loves to stretch out. She will be fine. pm me if I can answer anything else
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote