Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone have baby that is a tummy sleeper?

My sister is a new single mom and her baby pretty much will only sleep while she is holding him or while he is on his tummy (she is awake) I know she is super tempted to see if he will sleep on his tummy in the bassinet or on the floor next to her if she sleeps on the couch. But she is afraid of sids...
Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
North Dakota Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Jennieh***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have baby that is a tummy sleeper?

I have 2 tummy sleepers. I was given some advice and I'll pass it along to you. http://www.stopsidsnow.com/ There is research based on crib death related to chemicals in the baby's mattress reacting and causing a toxic gas. I read a lot about it and decided to wrap both my babies mattresses. It makes sense to me, and if it's not causing sids, I'm only out about $30/kid for the mattress wrap. I'm not comfortable with the compounds they put in mattresses to make them flame retardant, so I'd rather not have them breathing in that stuff for 12 hrs at night & 4 hrs in the day. Maybe I'm stupid for buying into this, but thought I'd share!
Wife/BFF to Leif - Mommy to Thor born 09.26.07 , Maycee born 10.25.08, and Dax born 08.01.2010... a sweet-as-pie homebirth! Baby #4 due 08.09.12!
I blog about my life with three wee ones!
North Dakota Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
jade1930
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both DS1 and DS3 would only sleep on their tummies. And when DS1 was a baby that was the recommendation. DS2 would only sleep on me (how lucky was I). I had an Aunt that died from sids many years ago (40). I think they say if the bed is clear of bumpers and/or stuff animals everything should be fine. I really never worried too much about it.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have all preferred sleeping on their tummy. My first (twins) were right as the "Back To Sleep" campaign was really starting (97) and my 3rd I was actually told to do side sleeping. My 4th and 5th were born while the BTS campaign was really full-force (on diapers, hossy t-shirts, etc) BUT I couldn't get more than 45 mins of sleep without them on their tummy. We didn't do that until they were rolling though, prior to that we used a swaddling blanket or Miracle Blanket.
AND just to comfort her a little, a pacifier is supposed to decrease the chances of SIDS because of the brain continuing to work to suckle and not going into a deep sleep. There is also info stating it's actually a BRAIN imbalance (seratonin levels), not necessarily an enviornmental issue. But a fan in the bedroom is supposed to help, not overheating the baby helps (like a onesie and a Halo or off-brand sleepsack), sleeping in the same room is supposed to help, but to be honest, NOTHING can prevent SIDS. Babies die each year who sleep on their back, in a crib or even in their mother's arms. It's a horrible truth but if mom didn't smoke and took care of herself during pregnancy and baby is totally healthy than it's her choice IMO. This may not be the popular opinion, but it's my
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS has slept on his stomach since he was a few days old. He slept longer and better on his stomach.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
lemon_parade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd slept on her tummy. That was the only way she'd sleep longer than an hour.

lemon_parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
kababy76
Registered Users
seller

Yep, another tummy sleeper here! DS1 slept swaddled for like 9 mos (no kidding!), and slept really well from the start. Now DS2 (who is 13 mos) has slept on his belly from aprox 1 month on, as that was THE ONLY way he'd sleep for more than an hour! I was so nervous at first but like the pp's have said, no smoking, dont overheat them, no crib bumpers or toys in crib, etc...those are big factors as well. I have also heard about having a fan in the room being helpful. We've always had a fan going in the room but for the purpose of white noise to help them sleep, so when I heard that, I thought "wow! " Best wishes to your sister!!
kababy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD would only sleep on her tummy and she was a preemie. We tried the positioners and everything ese we could think of. She slept in the bassinet next to us until about 3 months when she could turn her head on her own then went into her crib. No pillows, no blankets, footie sleepers, and a cool mist humidifer and she is 1 and doing fine. The doc told us to do whatever it took to get her some sleep
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally don't think SIDS has anything to do with sleep position.
My 2nd DD died of "SIDS" and she was sleeping on her back. My DS started rolling over in his sleep around 5 or 6 months, I did freak out the first few times but since then he now only sleeps on his tummy.

Last edited by Samandy; 02-09-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot :)
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
earthbabydiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniehuwe View Post
I have 2 tummy sleepers. I was given some advice and I'll pass it along to you. http://www.stopsidsnow.com/ There is research based on crib death related to chemicals in the baby's mattress reacting and causing a toxic gas. I read a lot about it and decided to wrap both my babies mattresses. It makes sense to me, and if it's not causing sids, I'm only out about $30/kid for the mattress wrap. I'm not comfortable with the compounds they put in mattresses to make them flame retardant, so I'd rather not have them breathing in that stuff for 12 hrs at night & 4 hrs in the day. Maybe I'm stupid for buying into this, but thought I'd share!
I've never heard of this, but we've always used a mattress wrap. Both my kids are tummy sleepers. It made me nervous, but they slept better that way.