Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have baby that is a tummy sleeper?

Juliette WAS a tummy sleeper. Everytime I laid her down, I had to do it on her tummy or she would not stay. I was always so paranoid and I always had to be checking on her. Then I realized that if I swaddled her really tight whenever she was going to nap or sleep for the night, that I could lay her down without her fussing or waking up. So if your sister isn't swaddling, tell her to try it. Some babies just need that tightness.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both mine were tummy sleepers, it's the only way that they would sleep (other than in the carseat or swing)
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Yep our little man has been a tummy sleeper since about two weeks of age. We discovered that he slept much better that way. Should have tried to get our oldest to sleep on her tummy, she might have slept better that way.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Smile Because Of Them View Post
Juliette WAS a tummy sleeper. Everytime I laid her down, I had to do it on her tummy or she would not stay. I was always so paranoid and I always had to be checking on her. Then I realized that if I swaddled her really tight whenever she was going to nap or sleep for the night, that I could lay her down without her fussing or waking up. So if your sister isn't swaddling, tell her to try it. Some babies just need that tightness.
I don't think she always does and I am not sure how tight. I'll mention it to her tomorrow.
She did however get her first nap since the baby was born today. She layed him on his tummy on a blanket next to the couch and she napped there.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto: Only after researching, I decided I wanted NOTHING to do with chemical treated mattresses and we bought organic latex ones. WE LOVE THEM!!!! KIDS DO TOO!!! organicgrace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniehuwe View Post
I have 2 tummy sleepers. I was given some advice and I'll pass it along to you. http://www.stopsidsnow.com/ There is research based on crib death related to chemicals in the baby's mattress reacting and causing a toxic gas. I read a lot about it and decided to wrap both my babies mattresses. It makes sense to me, and if it's not causing sids, I'm only out about $30/kid for the mattress wrap. I'm not comfortable with the compounds they put in mattresses to make them flame retardant, so I'd rather not have them breathing in that stuff for 12 hrs at night & 4 hrs in the day. Maybe I'm stupid for buying into this, but thought I'd share!
Oh, mama. That is my worst fear. I am so, so sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
I personally don't think SIDS has anything to do with sleep position.
My 2nd DD died of "SIDS" and she was sleeping on her back. My DS started rolling over in his sleep around 5 or 6 months, I did freak out the first few times but since then he now only sleeps on his tummy.
eta: I forgot, two of mine were/are still tummy sleepers. Each child should get to sleep how he/she wants, IMO
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #16
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds1 didn't like tummy sleep till he could roll over independently both ways. Ds2 and ds3 both are swaddled tightly as they are only a month old. Jonathan, ds3, will sleep on his tummy once in a while for a nap. I won't let him go over night this way yet. I am not comfortable with it.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

miranda was a tummy sleeper (still is the only way she sleeps at 4.5 years old) and Jake dislikes the tummy, but sleeps with me every night in my arms, so i'm risking sids anyway. lol

I'm honestly not Concerned about it. my mom however freaked out that i was sleeping with Jacob because my niece lost her daughter to "sids".. what my mom fails to remember is my niece is and was on drugs and drank and was cosleeping with her 3 month old, which of course are all no no's.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

All 3 of my kids are tummy sleepers. Actually, at almost 9, 4 and 1 they all STILL tummy sleep. The almost 9 year old rolled over at 8 days old so I wasn't concerned, the 4 year old WAS on an apnea monitor(preemie) until 6 months old so again, not concerned, and the 1 year old was a preemie as well and the nicu nurses always put her to sleep on her tummy so she got very used to it. Yeah it's a little scary but that's the way they all preferred to sleep. I sleep on my side, cannot get comfortable on my back. Just can't do it. Should I be forced to lay on my back to sleep? Heck no. So when it's obvious that my children like to sleep on their tummies, why would I force them to sleep on their backs and stress them and me out? Obviously I paid close attention to them and worried a little but it worked out okay.