Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
kebree
Registered Users
seller

Bedrest anyone?? I need some support (update)

I am 28wks and have been on bedrest at home since 20 wks due to bleeding, incompetent cervix, ceclage was placed emergently at 20 wks, and then possible Preterm premature rupture of membranes after the cerclage.

Now, it appears that the amniotic sac possibly resealed either that or never really ruptured, docs aren't quite sure because the tests they did to check for amniotic fluid were inconclusive (2 positive nitrazines, 2 slides negative for ferning, fluid levels always normal) Anyway so I am stable, cerclage is holding ffns are negative and baby seems to be staying put for now. But I am in my 8th wk of bedrest with 8 more to go if all goes well. I get to go off bedrest at 36wks when they take out the cerclage.

Bedrest is really getting to me . I have a 10mth DS who is in daycare since I am on bedrest. This has been an extra challenge because DS now is constantly sick from all the germs at daycare. (He was so healthy before he started). DH is burnt out from sick DS and having to do all the chores on his own. I am not supposed to do anything that would put pressure on my cerclage, so I can't even sit upright for too long. I have tried to keep myself busy with online continuing education (I am a nurse practitioner), books, letters, etc. But it is tough.

Any other bedrest-ers out there who can commiserate?

2-10-08 Update, see last reply DH has mono!!

Advertisement

Last edited by kebree; 02-10-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: update
kebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bedrest anyone?? I need some support

I can't commiserate, but just wanted to give some . I'm so sorry about all of it - you are the prime example of sacrifice for motherhood, what a wonderful mom you are to care for your unborn babe this way - hang in there!
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Mommameyer00
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was put on bedrest with my 1st from 31weeks till birth. I remember trying to find things to keep myself busy. Hang in there, the time will fly by sooner than you think. Wish I was close by, I would come watch your DS for you so you didn't have to put him in daycare.

~Kristi~Wife to Matt, Mom to Katy-8 and Arianna-4 and Gabriel-6/15/09
Mommameyer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
mykidsteacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't commiserate as of right now, but I was on bedrest with my 2nd from 29-36 weeks, with a 2 year old to care for. It was TOUGH, and you have been at it for a good long while already.

I was fortunate to have help. My MIL would come and spend a week (yes, it was great--I love that woman), then the next week, my mom and a couple of friends would trade off coming over to watch ds, fix lunch and take care of the house. They would leave at nap time (ds and I napped together every day), and soon after we woke up, dh would be home.

Would it be possible to have someone come in once a week to do some housekeeping to take that extra chore off dh? Do you have friends who can come over to visit? Teach yourself to knit? Learn a language?

I'd probably be on the computer all day. But I know that after a while, even that gets old.

((((Hugs)))) you are doing a wonderful thing for your baby.
Tina, HS'ing Mama to 4 dc, Baby #5 with Jesus 2/09.
Stocking Heartland Dreams
My Photobucket My Blog Follow me on Facebook!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

I was on bedrest from 25 weeks to 35 weeks, although it was only strict bedrest for the first couple of weeks...but it's tough to have to spend the majority of your day in bed. I feel for you mama. I can't imagine doing it with a baby in the house, and having to spend your days apart from him.

Let's see...I watched a lot of Friends on DVD and did a LOT of sudoku. I wish I had known how to knit at the time because that would have come in handy, though I think it'd be a little tough to learn laying down. Have you been to sidelines.com? I never checked it out, but it's supposed to be an excellent support community for women on bedrest.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was on bedrest from 21 weeks until my daughter's birth at 32 weeks. I love to scrapbook- so I worked on albums and journalled notes for the baby. Read alot of books. I thought I was gonna go crazy! It was nice when a friend or family member dropped in and visited, some even brought food that could just be warmed up for supper. This was my first baby-so I cant relate to how you must feel having another child. When you look back on it- its all worth it when you see that healthy baby!
Best Wishes to you! Hang in there!
nicumama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First off - Good job making it to 28 weeks so far. Each week seemed like an eternity. I would get so excited to move my little baby face to the next ticker on my siggy.

I was bedrested 8 weeks with DS and 9 weeks with DD.

I knitted, read magazines (I barely had the attention span for a book), watched tv (the second bedrest - the first one we didn't have tv), surfed the net (second bedrest - first one we didn't have wireless or a laptop), organized all my pictures into albums, organized all my recipes into recipe books, and organized all my addresses into an updated address book.

I also learned that a lot of grocery stores do grocery home delivery. This helped a ton with DH. He is not a shopper . I also could do all the shopping from the computer.

We hired a nanny the second time around because of my DS and my two nephews. Plus having someone there really helped me to stay down.

I bet you miss your little one so much right now.

Good luck mama. You know that it will all be worth it.

Keep posting this thread up I'm sure there are more of you out there.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out sidelines. They are support for bedresting mamas. I'm doing the volunteer training right now. They are a great support resource.

I was on bedrest with my first. I took up cross stitching. I colored and read a ton. I had a cerclage due to incompetent cervix. But in the end I delivered a beautiful, full term baby girl. I think remembering the goal makes it worth it on those hard days.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
kebree
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much mamas, you ladies have some great ideas. I should totally organize my recipes, and journal to the baby. Since I have made it to 28weeks, I get to sit up and go out in a wheelchair Went to target and church this weekend, that was great!

Oh and for an update, life just keeps throwing challenges at us...DH has mono. He has been run down and running fevers for 2 weeks, he thought it was just stress and burnout, but the nurse in me knew something was up. I finally forced him to go to the doc today and blood test confirmed mono! The doctor told him to rest for the next week or 2 - yeah right how is he going to do that? And they said he needs to get at least 8-10 hrs sleep a night

Thanks again for all the support an advice.
kebree is offline   Reply With Quote