Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Users
RSV vaccine for preemie?

I'm a new and first time mom as of Jan 22, to a preemie born at 34wks6days.

My ped has suggested our 2 1/2wk old get the RSV vaccine. So far I think this is a good call even tho the only time she gets out is going to the Dr office (lots of floating germs there for either of us to be exposed to).

But, being a new mom, I wanted to come here to post and ask if there might be a reason it's not a good call?

SAHM to "Z" born 1/22/09~34w6d~3lbs 6oz
3Daisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: RSV vaccine for preemie?

I would first find out if your insurance covers it I "think" its like 1200. Ive only had friends w/ preemies never one myself.

I HATE going to the peds office with a newborn. If you choose to give it make a first thing appt so the other kids arent there yet
Momma to 4 boys Logan 19, Connor 16, Nathan 7 and Jackson 2.....
jbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Users

ugh my son caught RSV from the ER so stay away from there too! He was 13 months old though.

I would be tempted also though I am pretty anti-vax. GL making your decision!
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Users

If you do it, see if they'll have a nurse come to the house to give the shot. I wouldn't want to go into the pedi's office every would probably do more harm than good!

The thing about synagis, is it's not like a regular vaccine. I don't know the specifics, but it's not going to have all the possible side-effects as say, the MMR or DTaP.

I'm sure it still has SOME possible side effects, but I'd feel comfortable giving it and we don't vax at all. DD only doesn't get it because we've chosen not to advance her care beyond this point.
Shauna, mom to Adrian, 9 and Charlie, 6!
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

My lo got it for her first 3 years. She wasn't a preemie, but had enough medical issues that it was covered. I'd get it again for any kid of mine eligible. Check with the insurance company though, and if necessary your docs office can plead your case with them if you decide to get it. It's super expensive.
meganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Also, keep in mind it's not a vaccine like we normally think of vaccines - it doesn't even attempt to provide immunity; it boosts the overall immune system.

If you have a preemie and are eligible, I'd get it. They tend to get sicker, easier, particularly the first year or so.

You can probably get your county nurse to come weigh your baby and give the shot - they need a weight every time to make sure they get the right dose. That way you'd have fewer exposures to the doctors.
wife to B (5/20/2000), and mom to A, born 6/08 @ 27 weeks
~~9.5 months in the NICU, trach/g-tube, but now running around and otherwise healthy~~~
kadiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would absolutely get this - it's not really a vaccine as the PP said - it provides a layer of immunity and it's only good for 30 days - meaning, you will have to get the shot every 30 days until RSV season is over.

As far as getting the approval my doctors office got that before it was ever given. A nurse did come out to my house to give the shots - again insurance decided how the shots were given (in house, at pedi office, or at a pulmonolgist office).

Also, your neonatologist can send in the recommendation as well - we had our first shot before ever leaving the hospital.

Good Luck and congrats on your preemie - how big is she now?
Wife To: Tony, Mom to: Griff (13), Samantha (15), Virginia (11), Sydney(9) & Anna Grace (12 mos )
mom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

I personally wouldn't. Vaccines are hard enough on the system, and to give them to a baby who is tinier than others and every thirty's just a lot of toxins to overwhelm such a small person.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

I honestly would get it!!!
Christy--wife to wayne and mom to two crazy boys matthew (12/06) and andrew (04/09).
christy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

We got it for our little guy. He didn't really fit into all the 'guidelines' but in the end we were able to get it with some help from the drs at the NICU.

It's not a vaccine...Synagis is a precautionary shot given once a month. It does not prevent the child from getting RSV but will lessen the chance and if they do it RSV it's said that it won't be as hard on them.

RSV, like the flu, has thousands of strains and the Synagis shot has one common link that ALL RSV strains have. Forgive me as I have forgotten the exact link.

Our dd passed away from RSV back in 2005 and had no visible symptoms. She was one of the rare cases that die from an apnea spell while sleeping. When Sam was born in October we did everything we could to get Synagis...even with the shot every month since then he was just diagnosed with RSV on Monday. The good thing is that his symptoms have not gotten worse and he only has a low grade fever. We have the nebulizer but haven't had to use it yet.

IF you do get the shot PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE still be very careful where to take your LO (if anywhere really!), who holds her, SANITIZE your hands before you touch her EVERY TIME!
~Tyra~ mom to 2
more about me later
I now blog HERE!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote