Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC (or want to be!) mamas...need advice!

My first pregnancy was not all roses and sunshine...

I had a great OB/GYN but he was really invasive and a big fan of Rx meds. I ended up developing a phobia of my OB!! Long story short, I had an induction and a c-sect. NOT AT ALL THE WAY I WANTED IT TO GO!! And, I'm not convinced it was medically necessary.

We're going to be TTC #2 pretty soon, and I really do not want a repeat of the last experience. I'm thinking of going to a birthing center, but I'm little paranoid about the danger of a vag birth after having a c-sect. Is there a danger? Am I a nut?!?

Anyone have any good story about their VBACs?? Anyone else have this experience/planning on going this route?

Advertisement

Last edited by BootyGold; 02-09-2009 at 01:11 PM.
BootyGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
luvmybec1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBAC (or want to be!) mamas...need advice!

statistically it is safer to have a a VBAC than a repeat c sect. i will got did up the statistics real quick and come back to post them for you.
Lisa Marie(7/24/88)wife(9/2/05) to Benjamin David (12/25/84), mother to Benjamin Edward(3/8/06)silly boy, and Nevaeh Elizabeth(8/27/07)the terror on 2 legs, miss Samantha Ashlyn(09/24/09) UC baby #1 and introducing Sean Alexander(8/11/11) born at home, unassisted, in the water, caught by momma.
luvmybec1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
abagold
Registered Users
seller

My sister has VBACed twice in 7 years. Her last (6 weeks ago) was very fast, she got to the hospital and delivered 20 minutes later without a dr, just a bunch of nurses. She was actually laying flat trying not to push, and the baby just popped out on a contraction. Her first VBAC was much longer, 12-14 hours most of it at home. She has a very supportive dr. I would research around and try and find a supportive OB who has done VBACs. A lot of drs will tell you they do VBACs and then at 38 weeks they start changing their tune so ask other moms or nurses.

Amy
abagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, actually safer than you would think! I know TONS of success stories. Sorry you had such a traumatic birth. I did too and am going for a homebirth!! Best wishes!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
averysmom
Registered Users

I plan to vbac as well. Honestly, I think your best bet is to go with a midwife. Here is a great site with lots of info about vbac including stats. I think the actual risk of uterine rupture is like less than 1%. The odds are truly in your favor.

http://www.ican-online.org/
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!

Last edited by averysmom; 02-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

With only one Cesarean, your chances of rupture are about the same as someone who's never had one. So yes there is danger, but there is danger no matter what and it is incredibly small either way! Something like 0.7%.

Barring extreme cases, a VBAC is always safer than RCS. If you have another C-section and want to have a VBAC after that, it will be much harder to find someone who will take you as a VBA2C. Also, the more Cesareans you have, the higher your risk for potentially deadly complications. They are NOT as safe as they are made out to be! Again, barring a few extreme cases, a normal bodily function like childbirth is ALWAYS safer than major surgery!

I VBACed at home six months ago and it was great. I highly recommend it!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone...I'm feeling better about it already! And I'm not even pregnant, lol

Made an apt today to visit my local birthing center
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck mama, I am in the same boat
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

can i hijack for a min ???

i labored and pushed forever DS wasn't able to be delivered after getting stuck in the birth canal its been 18 months and we are thinking of TTC do most mom's that have a baby with a head to big to pass normally always have babies that way or would i be ok with a VBAC (ofcourse with no complications) .. johnpaul also had hydrocephalus maybe that's why his head was so big ????

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmccullen07 View Post
can i hijack for a min ???

i labored and pushed forever DS wasn't able to be delivered after getting stuck in the birth canal its been 18 months and we are thinking of TTC do most mom's that have a baby with a head to big to pass normally always have babies that way or would i be ok with a VBAC (ofcourse with no complications) .. johnpaul also had hydrocephalus maybe that's why his head was so big ????

Well, my first had a big head and he was also posterior. He was a C-section. My second had a tiny head and he was a VBAC. Not every baby, or birth, is the same!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote