Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Ok, tell me about wool

First, I live in the desert. It gets to 110 regularly (but very dry) in the summer and I'm afraid to use wool. I understand that PUL can be hotter because of the water proofing aspect, but wool just sound freaking hot. Also, I am allergic to wool, and I'm afraid my dd will be as well.

- Does the wool go directly against their bodies or do you use a fitted or prefold against it?
- How often do you wash? How?
- Expense? Tell me!
- Any other pointers?

TIA

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, tell me about wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanSmiles
First, I live in the desert. It gets to 110 regularly (but very dry) in the summer and I'm afraid to use wool. I understand that PUL can be hotter because of the water proofing aspect, but wool just sound freaking hot. Also, I am allergic to wool, and I'm afraid my dd will be as well.

- Does the wool go directly against their bodies or do you use a fitted or prefold against it?
- How often do you wash? How?
- Expense? Tell me!
- Any other pointers?

TIA
You need to use some sort of diaper - pf or fitted - under the wool because wool is just for waterproofing. The wool will most likely come into contact with your ds's skin where the diaper doesn't cover.

I wash about every month, or when it gets stinky or poo on it (usually right after I've just washed it!) I use Eucalan, but you can also make your own wool wash/lanolizing treatment by boiling a cup of water, adding a dollop of lanolin, like Lansinoh, and a drop or two of baby wash. Mix it all together until the lanolin melts, then add it to a sinkful of tepid water. Then add your wool and let it soak for 15 minutes or so. Carefully wring/blot the extra water out, or put it in the washer on spin-only, and hang to dry. It's not as hard as it sounds once you've done a time or two.

Expense can be pretty reasonable to really high-end depending on what you're into. It's not as cheap as PUL or fleece, but worth it, IMO.

If you're worried about wool allergies have you considered fleece instead? It's more breathable than PUL and doesn't need as much TLC as wool. Windblock is great for covers, but even thinner covers will work - I have 2 from Bum-Ware that are 1 layer of a thinner fleece and they work great!

Didn't meant to write a novel, hope it helps!
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some people are allergic to one type of wool and not another. Or sometimes what you are really allergic to is the dye or treatment that has been used on the wool. Good thing - if dd is allergic - wool has a pretty good resale value, in general.

Wool can be less expensive than the otherstuff, because you can get away with using fewer covers. Wool generally ranges from 10-60 dollars, but if you can get a good cover for ten dollars. It is not really like the other stuff in diapering, where if you buy the cheapest stuff it falls apart right away or something.

And BTW, windbloc works great too. And it stays nice and doesn't get all fuzzy the way other fleece does.

Last edited by Righteous Recycles; 05-17-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
My2punkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have many tips to give yet since I've only been using it a month or so, but I'll tell you one thing- once I tried a wool cover over a fitted one time I was hooked and HAD to have more