Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Mommy2Nick&Luke
Registered Users

My Mood:
baptized?

did u baptize your child when they were born or shortly after? i still havnt and wont do it for that matter due to the fact that hubby is diferent religion than me and fhis mother keeps saying shes just gonna do it and im like no u will not i dont want him done......i just have different beliefs about doing it when hes older and letting him chose what do you think please help

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

Re: baptized?

Yes, Mason and Tanner were both baptized as babies. I'm Lutheran and dh is Catholic and we both believe in baptizing infants and reconfirming the baptismal vows when they are older and go through confirmation classes.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

I am LDS (Mormon) and we don't baptized until the age of 8. We beleive that all children are born innocent and baptism occurs at an age where they can be accountable for their actions.

For infants, they are given a special blessing where they receive their name and a blessing (prayer) for good things in their lives. This is also so they can be recorded on the records of the church.

Good luck making your decision!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
jkelstaten
Registered Users

We only dedicated our girls. Similar to what Hannah from the Bible did with Samuel. The church prays over them and the family.

When the child is old enough to make the decision for themselves and know why they want to be baptized then they can be baptized. It's a different age for every person since not everyone is ready for it at the same time.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMommyMommy View Post
I am LDS (Mormon) and we don't baptized until the age of 8. We beleive that all children are born innocent and baptism occurs at an age where they can be accountable for their actions.
I like that a lot!

I was raised Roman Catholic and it never sat well with me that babies are supposedly born with original sin that needs to be cleansed with Baptism...I thought that was supposed to be forgiven by Jesus' sacrifice (crucifiction and ressurection)? KWIM?

In any case, no, DD was not Baptized or Christened. I no longer consider myself a Christian, and DH did not have strong feelings on it either. Then again, I don't believe in a hell either so I guess that would color my feelings on this anyway.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

WOW! If my MIL or anyone for that matter EVER tried to baptise my children I WOULD BE PO'D!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
We only dedicated our girls. Similar to what Hannah from the Bible did with Samuel. The church prays over them and the family.

When the child is old enough to make the decision for themselves and know why they want to be baptized then they can be baptized. It's a different age for every person since not everyone is ready for it at the same time.
Same here

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMommyMommy View Post

For infants, they are given a special blessing where they receive their name and a blessing (prayer) for good things in their lives. This is also so they can be recorded on the records of the church.
Very well put. We're LDS also and DS had a special blessing when he was a younger baby... but he won't be baptized until he's 8 years old, or when he chooses to do so.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post

Us too. Although I am not attending church now so my daughter wasn't even dedicated. But I was when I was a baby. I was baptized when i was 13 and made the personal choice to do it.

My MIL keeps bugging me to get our daughter baptized as well. I don't think she realizes she can keep bugging me and bugging me and it's not gonna happen!!

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
momtophr
Banned
seller

We also dedicate. And then when they are older they can make the choice for baptism.
momtophr is offline   Reply With Quote