Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #41
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baptized?

we dedicated ds, but no, bamptisim is something that the child must choose once they are older.

Advertisement

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #42
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, Jackson is not. I believe that all children are born innocent. Jesus himself tells us that we should be like little children. When Jackson comes of age, studies the Bible and decides for himself that he knows right from wrong and wants to be a child of God, then he will be baptized.

I was baptized at 13, DH at 16, I believe.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #43
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, we have not had Emma baptised. I truly believe that a baptism should be an experience with meaning, and understanding. A choice made by the person because of their desire for a new relationship with the Lord. Even though the majority of my family is Catholic and believes unbaptised babies will go to hell if they die (which in my opinion is totally ludacris), my husband and I want Emma to be the one to decide when and why she is baptised. Its a pretty personaly and profound experience.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #44
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup. We are both Roman Catholic and VERY proud of it and Church is a huge part of both of our lives so DD was baptised when she was 2 weeks old, it was summer so it seemed easier to do it when everyone could come that's why so quickly.

DS will be baptised in Jan.

The Catholic Church actually has kind of changed it's view on baptisim. It used to be that you wanted to have your child baptised right away incase something happened to the child you wanted them to be "accepted" by the Church so to speak. But now the Church, if something happens to the child and is not baptised, looks at the child as if it was baptised.

I didn't say that very well but you get the idea. SO anyway the basic is that it's no longer something that needs to be done immediately.

My Church also has RCIA (adult baptisim at Easter where all of the sacrements are given baptisim, first communion, confirmation) We actually do partial submersion it's quite cool and something to see.

In the Catholic Church the baptisim while it is for the child it is more for the parents and the community to commit to raising the child in the Catholic Church and welcome into the community.

It is at confirmation when the child him/her self actually decides to commit to the Church themselves. My school encouraged us to look into other religions and choose for oursleves before making the commitment.

Confirmation can happen as a teenager or adult.

Just thought I would add that.

I think it's important for the PARENTS to go with what they believe. It's NOT your MIL's place to decide. Do whatever is right for YOU and your family.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #45
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was raised Southern Baptist and we are baptized when we decide that we want to accept God into our life. For me, that was when I was around 10 but it can be any age that you are old enough to realize what you are doing and saying.

Now, I consider myself Christian still but I'm not sure that I want to raise DD as a Southern Baptist even though she goes to a Southern Baptist daycare. DH isnt' really religious either, but he will not allow us to go to a non-denominational church, so we just do not go to any church. I will let DD decide when she is a bit older if she wants to go to church.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #46
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither of us is religious (dh and I). We were both raised roman catholic. We decided to do a babynaming ceremony this spring when dd is 8 mos old. She will have a party, the whole family and pals will be invited, and the minister who married us will officially give her her name.
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #47
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
Nope, we have not had Emma baptised. I truly believe that a baptism should be an experience with meaning, and understanding. A choice made by the person because of their desire for a new relationship with the Lord. Even though the majority of my family is Catholic and believes unbaptised babies will go to hell if they die (which in my opinion is totally ludacris), my husband and I want Emma to be the one to decide when and why she is baptised. Its a pretty personaly and profound experience.
The idea that the Catholic Church used to believe (or some of her members believe/ believed) that unbaptised children will go to hell is false. It was never a doctrine or teaching of the Church. In the 60's a Bishop came out with his opinion of what may happen, but the idea that unbaptised children go to hell or to limbo has NEVER been taught by the Church. ETA: The Church commends the soul of an unbaptised child to God and we believe in and embrace God's mercy. I know many Catholic parents that have lost a child and I can assure you none of them think their child is in hell.

OT: Baptism replaces circumcision. Point blank, that's why it's done. Circumcision, in accordance with the Jewish Law, is done on the 8th day. This translated to Baptism very easily. Jesus fulfilled the OT laws through his death, therefore circumcision wasn't needed to make that pact with God because we had the death of Christ.

Catholics have the Sacraments through out their lives to lead them in a life with Christ. We start with Baptism to welcome the child into God's Church and family, then there is First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion where the child now stands on their own two feet to acknowledge that they understand the difference between right and wrong and can admit freely to God (in the confessional as well as through prayer) that they want to sin no more, then Confirmation (which someone else already described), then either Holy Matrimony (marriage) or Holy Orders (becoming a priest), then the Anointing of the Sick (can be done at anytime). To understand why a Catholic does things, it's helpful to understand the 7 Sacraments we have and why.

For all the people that always makes comments about how they used to be Catholic and are not for one reason or another, I wish there was something I could say or do to help clarify any confusion or hurt. I hurt each time I see people express such negative thoughts and feelings about my Church and I wish there was something I could do for them so they wouldn't view it so negatively.

So you're right to say it's ludacris about the family members belief of unbapstised children going to hell. But I just wanted to throw out what the Catholic Church REALLY teaches about that idea so there was no misunderstanding.

Last edited by dirtdartwife; 11-27-2006 at 07:25 PM.
dirtdartwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #48
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
So you're right to say it's ludacris about the family members belief of unbapstised children going to hell. But I just wanted to throw out what the Catholic Church REALLY teaches about that idea so there was no misunderstanding.
Not to start a battle...but each church within the Roman Catholic faith (or any faith, for that matter) is different. And when I attended catechism at St. Francis school from elementary school all the way until I was a freshman in high school (and then Confirmed) we were taught that Baptism was to erase original sin from the child, and that it must be done as soon as possible after that child's birth lest they die with sins on their conscience.

The "Catholic Church" as an intangible ideal may "think" differently, but each church has their own ministers of the faith and what they believe it to be. Which is true of any faith, school, or anything where a general body of information is shared with the masses. Interpretations and opinions will differ. But that doesn't mean that those of us who say that's what we were taught are intentionally spreading negativity about your religion.

That said, there are a lot of other reasons why I am no longer Catholic... it is not just varying opinions on Baptism.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #49
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im still shocked that some ministers and preists are paid....
My Bishop drives a UPS truck andworks at the church for free... And somepl have to PAY for baptism... that just seems off. If that was the case,my child would likely never be baptised..
Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 PM   #50
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine View Post
Not to start a battle...but each church within the Roman Catholic faith (or any faith, for that matter) is different. And when I attended catechism at St. Francis school from elementary school all the way until I was a freshman in high school (and then Confirmed) we were taught that Baptism was to erase original sin from the child, and that it must be done as soon as possible after that child's birth lest they die with sins on their conscience.

The "Catholic Church" as an intangible ideal may "think" differently, but each church has their own ministers of the faith and what they believe it to be. Which is true of any faith, school, or anything where a general body of information is shared with the masses. Interpretations and opinions will differ. But that doesn't mean that those of us who say that's what we were taught are intentionally spreading negativity about your religion.

That said, there are a lot of other reasons why I am no longer Catholic... it is not just varying opinions on Baptism.
I understand what you are saying however I think there is some misunderstanding.

I did state what the Roman Catholic Church teaches and that's all I was trying to clear up about unbaptised infants going to hell. If someone makes a comment on what they may believe the Catholic Church teaches and I know it to be wrong, I will offer a correction. I taught the Pre-Baptism class at my last duty station so I know when this opinion from the Bishop came out and that it's just that, an opinion. It never was a teaching of the Church, so in a sense, yes, it's wrong for a Catholic to say this and try to pass it off as truth.

The Sacraments and Doctrine of the Faith are not up for discussion amongst its members because it's very clearly written as to what we do and why we do it. If anyone wants to know what the Catholic Church teaches, it's really simple to look it up and find the facts (I know some really good sites if anyone is interested ). The basics are the same and taught as such all over the world and it all comes from Rome. It's not up to an individual preacher or minister to decide what "kind" of Catholicity he wants to teach or preach. His teaching and preaching style may differ, but the content and the basics are the same. You can go to a Mass in Africa and you'll get the same Liturgy of the Word (bible readings) and Litury of the Eucharist (Holy Communion), just in different languages.

When a true Catholic calls himself a Roman Catholic, it means they follow the Magesterium of Rome (meaning the teachings of the Church... this is for the non-Catholics so I apologize if someone misconstrues this as being condescending... I'm not being that). Yes, opinions will be abound, you're right, but when it comes to the Faith and Doctrine of the RCC.. it will be the same across the board.

I agree that most people aren't trying to spread negativity about the Church. It still just hurts my heart because I feel that they've been hurt and I want to reach out to them to help. That's all. (But there are some that are making bad claims about the Church with an intention to slander)

Not to hijack though... sorry.