Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
yumyuc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why to bedshare...

Yes, there are cons...
The occasional knee to the gut, toe nail scratch on the leg and arm flopped across the face, are all unpleasantries that come w/ bedsharing.

There is information backing both sides of bedsharing. It's supposed dangers, (which I personally feel is a generalized campaign targeting irresponsible and/or drug addicted parents) and it's many benefits to both child and parent. I'm sure you're all aware of these things.

But, this morning as I woke with a 4 year old drooling on one arm and a 6 month old nestled in my other, I felt complete. I thought, (as morbid as it may be) 'if a plane were to crash into our house, right now, and we all passed over... there's no other place I'd rather be!'
And, so I believe this is the most important reason to share my bed w/ my beautiful children!

Advertisement

Lovin' all you DS Mamas & Papas!!!
yumyuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
princesshannon
Registered Users

Re: Why to bedshare...

we do b/c we have sleep walkers that usually grow out of it around 5, so we co sleep until then. i don't want to lock my lo's in their rooms to keep them safe so we keep them close at night!
princesshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I co slept as a child and co sleep now and to be honest, the idea of co sleeping has never been foreign to me. My culture consists of co sleeping parents, and it really does warm my heart when I visit relatives and don't have to worry about bring along a travel cot or something else for baby to sleep in. I love seeing my relatives fight over who will sleep next to my son this night and the next night. I love seeing my nieces hug him while he dozes off for a nap. It doesn't just complete my motherhood, but it completes my whole relationship with my family.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Jazzmin
Registered Users
seller

I bedshare because I don't want to wake up several times a night and get out of the bed to see what is wrong. I am not so nice when I am tired and this arrangement works well for the family. When the oldest two moved into their own beds I was glad to have the space back.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyuc View Post
Yes, there are cons...
The occasional knee to the gut, toe nail scratch on the leg and arm flopped across the face, are all unpleasantries that come w/ bedsharing.

There is information backing both sides of bedsharing. It's supposed dangers, (which I personally feel is a generalized campaign targeting irresponsible and/or drug addicted parents) and it's many benefits to both child and parent. I'm sure you're all aware of these things.

But, this morning as I woke with a 4 year old drooling on one arm and a 6 month old nestled in my other, I felt complete. I thought, (as morbid as it may be) 'if a plane were to crash into our house, right now, and we all passed over... there's no other place I'd rather be!'
And, so I believe this is the most important reason to share my bed w/ my beautiful children!

Weird I was just thinking this the other day as I was getting ready to find my place on the bed (theres usually Shawn, me, Mylee then my husband) and complain becuz of my tiny space between the babes but I thought to myself would I have it any other way? He!! no!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see what you mean! With us, we do it with DD2 because it's the only way to keep her asleep -- but the only reason we could ever bed-share with DD1 would be if we wanted to be AWAKE all night!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aww, you make it sound so nice!!!

Everytime DS sleeps with us, no one gets any sleep After a few days, we're all miserable from sleep deprivation!! Happens every time we stay at my MIL's house cause he won't sleep in the crib there.

I guess we just never got the hang of it. But I do love the occasional nights that he climbs in bed with us
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
NataschaN
Banned

We co-sleep because I do not want my son to have to sleep in a room all by himself with nobody to cuddle up too.
My husband would like for our son to sleep in his own bed because he wants to have me back to himself. When I asked him if he would want to sleep all by himself in a bed he said no, so I asked him why he expacts our 2 year old son to do something he doesn't want to do. Since then he never complained again.
We will co-sleep untill our son is ready to sleep in his own bed. At first in our room, then we will eventualy move the bed into his room. The only thing causing me not to sleep well is our son still waking up several times at night and wanting to nurse. I am ready to wean him...
NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Ya know, I had that feeling this morning. And then the baby kicked me in the crotch and the 4 year old coughed right in my face and sneezed in my eye. And I remembered briefly what life was like before bedsharing more than 8 years ago. Kidding. There are days I think I would like them all out of my bed. But then I wake up to baby kisses or a 4 year old's hugs and "love you mama. morning!" and it reminds me why we do this. So I agree. It gives me the warm fuzzies!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cosleep with our newborns while they are still nighttime nursers so that I get sleep. Once DS was 9 months old, he slept better and longer in the bed by himself so that is where he went. DH never cosleeps with me and a baby, he sleeps to hard and is too scared he will hurt the baby.